Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith's Graduate Diploma of Dentistry - CSP or Full-Fees?

dsmalik

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Given that a GPA of 7 is equivalent to an ATAR of 99.95, means that there is a very high chance of gaining to entrance into the course I presume?

Regards,

DSM

HotIce

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Given that a GPA of 7 is equivalent to an ATAR of 99.95, means that there is a very high chance of gaining to entrance into the course I presume?

Regards,

DSM

Hi [MENTION=19553]dsmalik[/MENTION], I should probably clarify that a GPA of 7 = RANK of 99.95 not ATAR ( as qtac uses ranks instead of ATAR so it gets a bit confusing), but yes, you will have a very high chance of gaining entry.

I saw somewhere that you were applying to med. Is dent your "back up" plan?

Limobean

Hi,

I think we can safely assume that since GPA 7 is the maximum GPA you can achieve and that the cutoff for previous years was around the 6.5-6.6 mark, that there is higher chance of getting in unless something dramatic happens like every applicant has GPA 7 making the cutoff GPA 7. That would be scary. Although I have heard that it has happened before.

HotIce

I think we can safely assume that since GPA 7 is the maximum GPA you can achieve and that the cutoff for previous years was around the 6.5-6.6 mark, that there is higher chance of getting in unless something dramatic happens like every applicant has GPA 7 making the cutoff GPA 7. That would be scary. Although I have heard that it has happened before.

WOW..cut off of gpa of 7? when did that happen?
That is scary indeed.
Can't imagine a whole cohort with perfect GPAs/ATARs LOL

Limobean

WOW..cut off of gpa of 7? when did that happen?
That is scary indeed.
Can't imagine a whole cohort with perfect GPAs/ATARs LOL

I KNOW. I think it was the first year the course was offered so everyone jumped in. I could be wrong but the cutoff was very high.
But yeah omg, everyone would have perfect scores @_@

Last edited:

dsmalik

Hi @dsmalik , I should probably clarify that a GPA of 7 = RANK of 99.95 not ATAR ( as qtac uses ranks instead of ATAR so it gets a bit confusing), but yes, you will have a very high chance of gaining entry.

I saw somewhere that you were applying to med. Is dent your "back up" plan?

Hi,

I have entertained the idea of dentistry but decided to gauge my applications for various health disciplines due to not applying to interstate universities last year.

In addition, what is the difference between RANK and ATAR? Given that I called QTAC and they stated the highest RANK is 99?

Regards,

DSM

Last edited:

Time

Hey guys, as far as I know Griffith selected over 140 students for the 2014 intake and so the cut-off was much lower than previous years. However, for the 2015 intake was told the School is going to accept far less and so the cut-off should be higher. When I entered the cut-off GPA was 6.75 and as of now we have around ~95 domestic students and about 10 international students remaining. Best of luck!

HotIce

Hey guys, as far as I know Griffith selected over 140 students for the 2014 intake and so the cut-off was much lower than previous years. However, for the 2015 intake was told the School is going to accept far less and so the cut-off should be higher. When I entered the cut-off GPA was 6.75 and as of now we have around ~95 domestic students and about 10 international students remaining. Best of luck!

Opps..this is not good news I guess :/

well, thanks a lot for taking the time and giving us the info.
much appreciated

Limobean

Woah well done HotIce and LimoBean on your impressive GPAs (y) I feel so insecure coming on to MSO sometimes lol. I guess I'm out of the running if the cut off is 6.55 as I only have 6.5..

Umm I dont have a GPA as high as HotIce, because I didn't realise I was still eligible...so I didn't try as hard...T_T

Hmmm 6.5 may be a bit too low, but you can never know.

Limobean

Wait what? 140? Why would they do that? Are there even enough seats and facilities for all of them? I called Griffith and they said they had 90 seats available for 2015 intake.

Time

Wait what? 140? Why would they do that? Are there even enough seats and facilities for all of them? I called Griffith and they said they had 90 seats available for 2015 intake.

We actually have no idea why the School accepted 140 students, i don't think the school can accommodate that many students in the sim labs and clinics.. 90 students sound much better! Just a note if you guys are International students the cut-offs are lower than domestic students.

dsmalik

Hi,

There is probably 90 places as opposed to 140 this year probably due to the university's quota which I presume is deduced by the government.

Kind Regards,

DSM

Limobean

We actually have no idea why the School accepted 140 students, i don't think the school can accommodate that many students in the sim labs and clinics.. 90 students sound much better! Just a note if you guys are International students the cut-offs are lower than domestic students.
Ok but how many domestic places were available in previous years aka the years that didnt accept 140...or has it always been around that many?

Time

Ok but how many domestic places were available in previous years aka the years that didnt accept 140...or has it always been around that many?

Both the 4th and 5th years above me have the similar number of domestic students. Just the 2014 intake had the increased number of students..

HotIce

I'm speculating the cut off will return to 6.75 then. I really hope it doesn't for your sake [MENTION=18736]Limobean[/MENTION] though :/

dsmalik

Hi,

Is there a quota for the number of non-standard students that accepted every year for GU? Or are non-standards equally considered?

Regards,

DSM

UAV

Hi,

Is there a quota for the number of non-standard students that accepted every year for GU? Or are non-standards equally considered?

Regards,

DSM
No quota for Non Standards, they are ranked against Standards. The better ranked student is selected.
e.g GPA of 6.5 = Rank 99.

Last edited:

UAV

Both the 4th and 5th years above me have the similar number of domestic students. Just the 2014 intake had the increased number of students..
It was 40-50CSP places before 2010. Basically they had over 1000 applications for those places, so the School increased the number to close to 100. I have no idea what happened last year but it may be due to the ADA advocating a cap on Dental Students and I think the new government has listened to this. The Uni may have wanted to quickly get some more $ in before the caps were in place (Probably to pay off the new building)

Recently, there was a workforce mal-distribution due to the 3 new schools (Total 8) + 200 foreign Dentists passing the ADA exams to become registered in Australia per annum. Most graduates took on Full Time work in the city and decided not go Rural, hence a lot of graduates (15%) working 2 part Dentist jobs in the city, somewhat saturating the cities whereas rurally there were many jobs. A couple of University's tossed up the idea of setting up a dental school but were blocked in addition to this the government has shifted dentistry to a different list for Workforce shortages, (Edit: I thought the shift has already been implemented but it is still a rumour - "Consolidated Occupation List") meaning it will be a lot harder for foreign dentists to become registered in Australia. The ADA has been asking the previous government to do this since 2011 but they ignored it, however it appears the new government may have done something right for once and listened to the ADA. Which actually bodes well for the future, as if they continue with these changes we should see Full Time jobs (4 months after graduating) increasing from current 83% (Which is 6th in Australia) to pre 2013 levels (90%+), although during this time Dental graduates have still remained the highest earning graduates first year out of University (~$94k in private and $75k in state sector). All Stats are from the Government Released Gradstats which collects data on All University graduates 4 months after graduating (Degree, Employment, Salary)

Last edited: