Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2016 Otago HSFY Ranking Scores and Offers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
You may wish to wait until the Australian offers are released - this may free up some spots around NZ due to people declining accepted spots.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

richardms

Pretty sure you only get one application per category (HSFY, graduate, other) at Otago.

For graduate entry, the admissions people will often 'withdraw' applications that are below the UMAT threshold, allowing those individuals to save their 'one' graduate entry application for another year. Even then, from memory you have to have graduated pretty recently (was it three years? Five?) to be eligible for the grad entry pathway, so that further limits the theoretical maximum number of times you can apply.

So unless things have changed substantially, you definitely don't get 'many' shots at Otago. You get one per category (so three total), with maybe an extra one run at graduate entry if your UMAT is sub-threshold.

ETA: With regards to masters scores, you're right for Otago graduate entry. Bachelors and hons marks only, afaik

It's recently changes froot- but they didn't really advertise it. The university calendar now states you can apply under the graduate category multiple times so long as your degree was completed within the previous three years (so a maximum of three for a standard bachelors). I would assume if you completed a bachelors and then hons or postgrad dip this would extend it to another year.

Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB), Qualifications, University of Otago, New Zealand

frootloop

Doctor
It's recently changes froot- but they didn't really advertise it. The university calendar now states you can apply under the graduate category multiple times so long as your degree was completed within the previous three years (so a maximum of three for a standard bachelors). I would assume if you completed a bachelors and then hons or postgrad dip this would extend it to another year.

Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB), Qualifications, University of Otago, New Zealand

I stand corrected, man I'm getting out of the loop wrt admissions

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi @frootloop and others,

Just to clarify,

Applicants are eligible to reapply as long as it is within three years of completing a first degree. If one undertakes further stud(ies) they will use the grades for calculating the score.

Bachelor's degree, bachelor's honours degree, or bachelor's degree followed by a postgraduate diploma equivalent to a bachelor's honours are allowed.

I hope I explained it clearly. As I usually do, I confirmed this with the admissions.

I stand corrected, man I'm getting out of the loop wrt admissions

This means you've taken too much break from MSO. It's time to come back like the old days! It's a sign.

I got offered Medicine today - I was in the top 15 for the waitlist! :yay:

Congratulations! I guess we don't need to discuss future papers anymore. Good luck for the rest of the course.

Last edited:

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hi @frootloop and others,

Just to clarify,

Applicants are eligible to reapply as long as it is within three years of completing a first degree. If one undertakes further stud(ies) they will use the grades for calculating the score.

Bachelor's degree, bachelor's honours degree, or bachelor's degree followed by a postgraduate diploma equivalent to a bachelor's honours are allowed.

I hope I explained it clearly. As I usually do, I confirmed this with the admissions.

Hi again,

Would we be able to do anything during this period of time? For example, could I begin a Masters or a PhD even, and still apply for Medicine/Dentistry in those 3 years after completing a degree?

Also, would I need to re-take UMAT in those three years? Is there a maximum number of times I can take the UMAT?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi again,

Would we be able to do anything during this period of time? For example, could I begin a Masters or a PhD even, and still apply for Medicine/Dentistry in those 3 years after completing a degree?

Also, would I need to re-take UMAT in those three years? Is there a maximum number of times I can take the UMAT?

I am sorry for the late reply. I was not notified of your reply...

First question: I am a bit confused with your first question. Do you mean can one begin studying Masters/PhD after completing their first Bachelor's Degree and be able to apply for MBChB/BDS within three years of completion of the qualifying degree (first Bachelor's Degree)? My understanding is - Yes!

Second question: Yes, UMAT is required. You can take UMAT as many times as you would need to apply for a course. So, no need to worry. You would need to take it on the same year as your application. For example, if you are applying in 2017 for 2018 intake, then you need to take it in 2017.

I hope this makes sense.

Got offered med today! Was top 5 of rural HSFY waiting list :)

Congratulations! Good luck with your programme.

Quacks

MBChB VI
Hi,

Huge congratulations to your friend. Are you able confirm if they are MAPAS/Rural?
Surely they would've been on the general waitlist, as rural and MAPAS applicants with less than 80.12 had first round offers...

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Surely they would've been on the general waitlist, as rural and MAPAS applicants with less than 80.12 had first round offers...

Hi,

You are right and I agree. I just wanted to make sure since it won't hurt to double check.

frootloop

Doctor
Congrats! Hope you were both in Dunedin anyway haha

Interesting that only like a week out from classes starting, the lowest mark we know of to get in off the WL is only ~0.9 rank scores lower than the direct cut-off (80.1 vs 81.0).

Either there were a lot of people clustered together just below the cut-off, or not many HSFYs have gotten in off the WL (either due to a low number of people rejecting offers, the med school is playing around with grad:undergrad ratios, or lots of people with special exams over summer got good marks).

Considering that someone who was top 15 on the WL only got an offer today, I'd lean more towards not many WL offers having been made this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.