Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

graduate entry into dentistry

yoza

Hi

Just wondering about graduate entry into dentistry for otago in 2018. Is there a restriction in only taking 200 level papers or above in the final year of study like in medicine? so I could take 100-level papers in my final year?

thanks!

Chilling

Otago MB ChB V
Hi

Just wondering about graduate entry into dentistry for otago in 2018. Is there a restriction in only taking 200 level papers or above in the final year of study like in medicine? so I could take 100-level papers in my final year?

thanks!
There is no restriction on taking 100 level papers in your final year in terms of your application to dentistry. Usually I wouldn't recommended because it seriously limits your options should you not make dentistry.

If you feel very strongly about a career in dentistry and that a 100 level is the best way to go however, they will score it.

Good luck on your application.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Welcome to MSO!

That was that case but it may have changed. I am trying to find it out though. Nonetheless, I also do not recommend taking 100-level papers for the purpose of GPA.

Last edited:

yoza

Why is it not recommended?? Im only wanting to do dentistry and not medicine down in otago

and I will have done 7 papers at 200-level or above by the end of the year but wanting to do couple of 100-level papers in semester 2 to possibly lift my GPA
(so 9 papers in total)

can you explain why it is not recommended?

thanks guys

Hi,

Welcome to MSO!

That was that case but it may have changed. I am trying to find it out though. Nonetheless, I also do not recommend taking 100-level papers for the purpose of GPA.

Chilling

Otago MB ChB V
Why is it not recommended?? Im only wanting to do dentistry and not medicine down in otago

and I will have done 7 papers at 200-level or above by the end of the year but wanting to do couple of 100-level papers in semester 2 to possibly lift my GPA
(so 9 papers in total)

can you explain why it is not recommended?

thanks guys
Personally I have only ever done 7 papers a year. For me this has worked really well. I wouldn't recommend taking 9 papers as for most people this would result in lower averages across the papers.

Obviously everyone is different and depending on your current GPA, taking more papers might be necessary. In saying this, 5 papers in a semester is a really big ask (even if they're 100 level)

yoza

Personally I have only ever done 7 papers a year. For me this has worked really well. I wouldn't recommend taking 9 papers as for most people this would result in lower averages across the papers.

Obviously everyone is different and depending on your current GPA, taking more papers might be necessary. In saying this, 5 papers in a semester is a really big ask (even if they're 100 level)

yeah I agree with you 5 papers is a bit much. luckily I did summer school so I can do 4 papers this semester thank god.

with my 7 papers (without the 2 100 level papers) im most likely going to get like a 7.90 ish GPA (fingers crossed). but I think i can handle 4 this semester so was just making sure 100 level papers are scored cus otherwise its going to be pointless!

yoza

as far as i know the GPA cut off for dentistry varies a bit but you are most likely going to get in with a GPA of 7.80-8? as well as threshold UMAT obviously

am i right in saying that?

Kaurislice

Hey, the 2016 'straight in' dent cut-off was lower than 7.8, so you sound on track.

As long as your other papers - and degree requirements - are fine, there shouldn't be a problem in taking a 100-level paper or two for GPA, if you're sure that you are only after dentistry. I made the mistake of taking 200-level 'easy' (not) papers for GPA boosting last year ha

yoza

Hey, the 2016 'straight in' dent cut-off was lower than 7.8, so you sound on track.

As long as your other papers - and degree requirements - are fine, there shouldn't be a problem in taking a 100-level paper or two for GPA, if you're sure that you are only after dentistry. I made the mistake of taking 200-level 'easy' (not) papers for GPA boosting last year ha

thanks for confirming that! are you doing dentistry??

Kaurislice

@Stuart is more of an expert on that, but I believe that the (graduate) dentistry UMAT cut-off is pretty similar to the medicine one, if not identical.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
What are the prerequisites for a degree at Otago? Like how many 3rd-year papers do you need to do to do Honours? Is there a maximum amount of Stage 1 papers you can do for the whole of your degree?

EDIT: Sorry I could've just looked at the website #sillyme.

Ireneyy

Hi Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone got off waitlist with a 7.5-7.6 GPA last year? (for graduate general pathway) Cheers

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
... is there not an interview portion still?

I didn't think the concept of a "straight in" GPA exists for Otago Dentistry?

Kaurislice

Of course there's still an interview :p
I meant, following sufficient UMAT and interview scores, there were people who got an offer last December ('straight in', not via the waitlist) with a weighted GPA below 7.5

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Got my hopes up a little there! I thought my interview last year went well... :( I wish the interviews weren't pass/fail.

Ireneyy

It seems the GPA cut-off varies a lot more than I expected before. Does that mean the threshold marks for interviews are quite high? I used to think it's like 50% pass rate or something like that....
Could anyone who had interviews before show me some light on the interview process? I'll have my interview on 21st Nov coz I'm from AKL.

Do the interviewers ask relevant follow-up questions based on our own answers? Or is it more like they only ask the same questions in the same order for every interviewee regardless of what we talk about? Do they know anything about our applications before the interview?

Thanks in advance!