Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jastek01

Sorry, but when did you enrol for your courses at Auckland? Is it the same as Otago and you enrol in September?
Also why did you choose Auckland over otago?
I believe I enrolled around November last year? I applied for both Hsc and Bsc at Auckland, and ended up choosing Bsc - not too keen on essay writing, and heard some Hsc papers had business/economic aspects which I would have hated. The enrolment for 2018 closes on 8th December, so you have quite a bit of time to decide.
Ultimately, I chose Auckland over Otago because I wanted to stay home. I also wasn't too keen on having to pay halls fees. I feel I'd be really stressed at Otago since I wouldn't have friends and family to support me, which I believe would have made a big difference.
At the end of the day, they are both the same tho (kinda), and its just personal preference/availability. Have a look at Rob's post on OLY1.. really good!
P.s. Otago weighs UMAT higher but has no interview compared to Auckland (33% vs 15% respectively)

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Glad to see some of you are happy with your semester one marks! To any who aren't so happy - you still have 55% of the med requirements to fulfil, so there are plenty of opportunities to improve! I would recommend taking a bit more time to relax next week so you are nice and fresh for semester two.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Sorry, but when did you enrol for your courses at Auckland? Is it the same as Otago and you enrol in September?
Also why did you choose Auckland over otago?

You can enrol as soon as you get your offer. I don't know how it works straight from school, have a look on their website, I think you get an offer after NCEA results come out? You can apply at any time I think? Not sure.

Personally; I chose Auckland cos (a) I am living here, and (b) I am not eligible to apply at Otago via any pathway cos they are super restrictive about previous study and whatnot, plus, I am freezing my gonads off enough up here as it is, I'd probably die in Dunners from hypothermia even if I was permanently in a bear hugger or something! I would recommend Auckland if you are already living here, being able to stay at home is so super amazing and I so wish I was able to have the security of that, also makes grad entry possible.

@Kiwiology Yep, already applied. I just want to see the classes and make my own timetable and stuff. I know it sounds childish but hey, it sounds exciting! I'd be moving out of home whether I go to Auckland or Dunedin, but Auckland is far closer so hope I get into Auckland!

5HT

hey I have been lurking on this for a long time, hope everyone is having a good time enjoying the last bit of the holiday. I was wondering what the chances are of getting into med with a core GPA of 8.25? Thanks guys :)

Hello! I'm not super sure, but that gives you a pretty good chance, but it might require a stronger interview and a higher UMAT. But it's still really really good! I think you should get in as long as UMAT and the interview go fairly well

frootloop

Doctor
Despite being a bit down earlier in the semester I slogged on and did exams ..... and, I can't believe it, I really can't .... because things have not gone well. Sorry kids, this won't be one of those goody gumption dream-come-true-against-all-odds stories that are the stuff of neoliberal fantasies.

Even if I got an A+ in Medsci the max core GPA I could get would be 7.25 haha yeah, no. Just to top things off I can't even apply to get my AUD250 UMAT registration fee back, grr!

Well, back to job hunting for me. I think I want to get as far away from healthcare as I possibly can.

Good luck all.
Dude, you've wanted this since forever, and you're probably still in with half a chance through the rural category (or a great chance through grad entry if you went and did that MPH you were talking about). Don't give up just because your grades in your first semester weren't quite what you were hoping for - take the opportunity to really analyse what you could change to improve your grades in future.

Judging by your posts and hatbox comments over the last couple of years, you would seriously regret giving up now. You hate the desk jobs, and you'd probably be back trying for med in a year or two anyway. So take this semester's grades on the chin, have a good hard look at your own study methods/how you write assignments/your exam techniques, and get back on track.

Think of it as a great opportunity for serious self-reflection, so that you can start to build on some of the skills you need to succeed in medicine.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Dude, you've wanted this since forever, and you're probably still in with half a chance through the rural category (or a great chance through grad entry if you went and did that MPH you were talking about). Don't give up just because your grades in your first semester weren't quite what you were hoping for - take the opportunity to really analyse what you could change to improve your grades in future.

Judging by your posts and hatbox comments over the last couple of years, you would seriously regret giving up now. You hate the desk jobs, and you'd probably be back trying for med in a year or two anyway. So take this semester's grades on the chin, have a good hard look at your own study methods/how you write assignments/your exam techniques, and get back on track.

Think of it as a great opportunity for serious self-reflection, so that you can start to build on some of the skills you need to succeed in medicine.

Thanks, Frooty. I needed 85 in two exams to get an "A" overall in two core papers; I got 80 and 81. I am pretty crushed considering I thought the exam questions were very reasonable and I answered them without thinking "I have no idea" ... I have even requested a copy of my exam script (free at UOA, score!) because I don't understand how on earth I got 82! And that is literally sitting here going "what on earth went wrong there?" not "I'm so smart, I'm so awesome, how could I get such a low mark?".

I found out you can't do an MPH or MHSc without a health-esque degree, and my biz degree don't cut it. At worst I might be able to get into the PGDip with Year 1 of the BHSc and my previous degree and relevant work experience ... but let's not talk about that, bad vooju.

And yes, re RRAS, you're right. The UOA rumour mill has said of people getting in with a 7.0 core GPA because they just don't fill the seats and am told they haven't filled the seats for the last couple of years, but I'll see it when I believe it (I will ask the FMHS if it's indeed true!). I have heard of Grad RRAS'ers getting in with a 6.0 GPA.

I remember one of those stupid personality tests I did for a job once; the only thing I can remember was they said about me I throw passion (or some similar HR buzzword) being pretty much everything I do but do not take disappointment well. That's pretty much true truth be told, personally at least. If Mrs Smith who is 900 years old with ESHF and an EF of you know, 3%, dies in my ED well, so be it (as long as she got her CPAP within six hours!) but you know, I'm not one for personal disappointment ... mainly because I do not consider I've had a lot of success ... but I guess it's a learnt skill; I'm better than I used to be at least. I've been pretty mute the last week or so; barely looked at anything for UMAT and just been sleeping lots (cos it's been so cold as well). I'm not really enjoying the thought of trying to get an A+ in Medsci when I absolutely busted my ass and got two A-

I guess struggling on is probably a good idea. Maybe. Sort of. Who knows. Why am I doing this again?

#ThereIsAlwaysWaikatoMedicalSchool .....

hey guys, so I managed to get 3 A+s in my cores for the 1st semester, but I'm just really worried about UMAT that's coming up pretty soon. What percentile would be considered the lowest threshold to get in safely with a 9 GPA + average interview? Thank you!

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
hey guys, so I managed to get 3 A+s in my cores for the 1st semester, but I'm just really worried about UMAT that's coming up pretty soon. What percentile would be considered the lowest threshold to get in safely with a 9 GPA + average interview? Thank you!

0th percentile probably. I know quite a few who got 0-20 and got in, and they didn't have 9 GPAs. Just do your best, but no need to worry about it!

0th percentile probably. I know quite a few who got 0-20 and got in, and they didn't have 9 GPAs. Just do your best, but no need to worry about it!

Thanks for the reply! Wow 0th? I guess the rumours are true that UMAT really doesn't matter at UoA:)))

Jastek01

Thanks for the reply! Wow 0th? I guess the rumours are true that UMAT really doesn't matter at UoA:)))
Great job on your sem 1 results :) I've heard most people saying that yes indeed, UMAT isn't too important for higher GPA's.. however, it does seem important for differentiating people on the bottom of the applicant lists.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer

Wow, good on you mate! Remember, UOA doesn't use percentile, they use your score. If for example, your score was 150/300 then you get 7.5 of a maximum 15 (percent).

UMAT isn't too important for higher GPA's.. however, it does seem important for differentiating people on the bottom of the applicant lists.

I guess that means with my abysmal results I'd best study a bit huh? :p

Great job on your sem 1 results :) I've heard most people saying that yes indeed, UMAT isn't too important for higher GPA's.. however, it does seem important for differentiating people on the bottom of the applicant lists.

Haha thank you I guess all the sleepless nights payed off:) Yeah gonna go hard for the remaining days just in case!

Wow, good on you mate! Remember, UOA doesn't use percentile, they use your score. If for example, your score was 150/300 then you get 7.5 of a maximum 15 (percent).

Thanks! Oh I see that clears things up for me thank you:)

Probably unlikely in the general scheme unless you have very good UMAT raw scores. 7 is likely to get you an interview if you're eligible for RRAS
Just for a little past info, I read earlier in this thread that 7.5+ GPA was required for an interview last year and in 2015, it was 6.5+ GPA for interviews.
Good luck!

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Hey guys, do I have a chance in the general application scheme with a GPA of 7? What about in RRAS?

I've never ever heard of anybody getting in with less than 7.5 or 7.75 via First Year general, and even that's rare as I understand. The reason First Year general scores need to be so high is the largest number of students are competing for the smallest number of seats (relatively).

I saw somebody on Piazza say they got in with a 6.75 GPA via RRAS, apparently, in the last few years, they've only filled 40-something out of 52 RRAS seats. I guess this means, in reality, if you have the minimum GPA of 6.0 and aren't a complete sociopath or mirror image of Harold Shipman or Michael Swango in the interview ... you get in. I just find it amazing ... seriously, go and look at Poole at al in the NZMJ; something like 20% of entrants into the UOA MBChB consistently come from a regional or rural background. They just don't get the applicants. Rural, MAPAS and UTAS only compete against their specific category for a seat; i.e. you are ring-fenced.

Here's a link to the article: Medical students: where have they come from; where are they going? - New Zealand Medical Journal

Now, better go do some more UMAT stuff, considering I pretty much got most of Section 3 wrong in the Acer practice test ....

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Thanks, what year was this in?

I am not sure. People on Piazza have said they got in with GPAs of 6.75, 7.0 and 7.25 under RRAS. For the special entry schemes, there doesn't seem to be ill-informed muppets trashtalking bullsh!t like for general entry so I have no reason to doubt these people are being honest. The university even admitted at the first FMHS information lecture they give "unfilled" seats (RRAS, MAPAS and UTAS) to the general entry scheme, and if you read Poole et al above, in 2015 only 42 students were admitted via RRAS; so and again I hate to say it because it I think it makes me sound smug or terribly mistaken but if there are up to 52 RRAS seats that means every single person who applied via RRAS with a minimum GPA of 6.0 and didn't turn into Hannibal Lector in the interview or have unsuitable convictions got in, every single person. I'm still a bit mindboggled by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.