Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

OTAGO to AUCKLAND MED question

Hello,

I am at my final year for my Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree. I was wondering how my GPA will be like for Auckland Medicine. On their website, it says the best 120 points from past two years will be taken account. However getting confused with this table from their website.

upload_2017-9-6_11-0-40.png

First year (healthsci): I did 8 papers (Sem1:4, Sem2:4)--> all 100 level papers
Second year: 8 papers (Sem1:4, Sem2:4)--> two 100 level papers and six 200 level papers
Third Year (final Year): 8 papers (summer school:1, Sem1:3, Sem2:4) --> four 200 level papers and four 300 level papers

If its the best 120 points taken for the previous 2 years for interview, does that mean semester 2 result for the third year will not be taken account as the grades are not available. So will only take account best 120 points in my second year and parts of my semester 1 in my thrid year and parts of first year?

A paper in Auckland is 15 points whereas 18 points in Otago. So how does our grading system transfer to theirs? I dont know how the GPA in Otago relate to Auckland. Also, for medicine application as graduate, are we suppose to transfer our credit?

Thank you.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hello,

I am at my final year for my Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree. I was wondering how my GPA will be like for Auckland Medicine. On their website, it says the best 120 points from past two years will be taken account. However getting confused with this table from their website.

View attachment 1466

First year (healthsci): I did 8 papers (Sem1:4, Sem2:4)--> all 100 level papers
Second year: 8 papers (Sem1:4, Sem2:4)--> two 100 level papers and six 200 level papers
Third Year (final Year): 8 papers (summer school:1, Sem1:3, Sem2:4) --> four 200 level papers and four 300 level papers

If its the best 120 points taken for the previous 2 years for interview, does that mean semester 2 result for the third year will not be taken account as the grades are not available. So will only take account best 120 points in my second year and parts of my semester 1 in my thrid year and parts of first year?

A paper in Auckland is 15 points whereas 18 points in Otago. So how does our grading system transfer to theirs? I dont know how the GPA in Otago relate to Auckland. Also, for medicine application as graduate, are we suppose to transfer our credit?

Thank you.

Hi,

They will use the best 126 points per year as they do not divide the points.

Your results should be available by then. They would use your second and third year results but let me double check on this.

There is no need to transfer credits as far as I am aware.

Hi Stuart,

So for the grading for Interview, how will they grade that? Because Semester 2 results for this year, wont be out by the interview date which is around 21 November -30 November. Does that mean my second year grades + semsester 1 of third year & parts of first year will be taken account?

Thanks

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi Stuart,

So for the grading for Interview, how will they grade that? Because Semester 2 results for this year, wont be out by the interview date which is around 21 November -30 November. Does that mean my second year grades + semsester 1 of third year & parts of first year will be taken account?

Thanks

Hi,

The results can be out by then. What makes you think it's not possible?

If the results are not out in time they will use predicted grades like whatismyname has said. They often do this for many courses.

I see, thanks for your information guys.
Do you know what the GPA has to be inorder to guarantee an interview. My GPA is currently around 8.1
Thank You

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
seDo you know what the GPA has to be inorder to guarantee an interview. My GPA is currently around 8.1

An 8.1 GPA would be more than enough regardless of whether you are general entry, RRAS, MAPAS or UTAS.

From what I've seen around most graduate GPAs are in the mid 7-8 range.

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I see, thanks for your information guys.
Do you know what the GPA has to be inorder to guarantee an interview. My GPA is currently around 8.1
Thank You

Hi,

We obviously can't give you a direct answer since it's variable. However, as Kiwiology has said, your GPA should be enough to secure an interview based on the past results (from MSO).

Startersbar

Otago MBChB II
A different question to the GPA topic, but still related Otago--> Auckland Med:
For the med application, it says we need to upload an official academic transcript.

Would a downloaded version of the eVision academic record or "my results" from eVision suffice?

A different question to the GPA topic, but still related Otago--> Auckland Med:
For the med application, it says we need to upload an official academic transcript.

Would a downloaded version of the eVision academic record or "my results" from eVision suffice?
I don't think so unfortunately, however it should be okay as an unofficial transcript until you give them your official. I paid for an official transcript ($20) through the uni website, scanned it, then sent it in to UoA.