Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot

Hi everyone. Was wondering what happens at the interview if you happen to know one of the interviewers and have had a bad personal/work experience with them previously? Is it possible to request to be interviewed by somebody else?
Context: am a graduate who has also been working at Middlemore whilst studying and worried someone I recently interacted with may be an interviewer.

Lost Soul

Hi, just a gal having a lil episode of a mental breakdown here.
I think the rules have changed this year or something, so they look at the GPA across your whole degree now and weigh each of your last two years separately. I got confirmation on that by the department itself.
I'm fine with bringing up my GPA (I'm only in my second year so far), but what I'm worried about is them weighing each of my last two years separately. My second year didn't go as perfectly as I would have liked and may end up being something <7.
What was the average GPA for those who got into medicine (postgraduate) in the past??

Thanks (Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread, I'm a noob here :( )

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I think the rules have changed this year or something, so they look at the GPA across your whole degree now and weigh each of your last two years separately. I got confirmation on that by the department itself.
I'm fine with bringing up my GPA (I'm only in my second year so far), but what I'm worried about is them weighing each of my last two years separately. My second year didn't go as perfectly as I would have liked and may end up being something <7.
What was the average GPA for those who got into medicine (postgraduate) in the past??

Hi Lost Soul,

Welcome to MSO!

Are you sure the rules have changed? What exactly are the changes? When will it be implemented? If possible, I would like to know whom you got the confirmation from. This is the first time hearing this for me and they certainly haven't updated their website if this is true.

The average has been above seven but it also has a large variance (in comparison to Otago) because of the interview (and UMAT to an extent).

Jayjay

Can you please clarify exactly what you are saying?
A gpa of Bplus across a whole degree has always been required. You are shortlisted for interview based on your last two years which are weighted equally and this gpa counts 60 per cent towards your admissuon after combining it with your UMAT and interview. Can you clarify exactly what the change is?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
weigh each of your last two years separately.

Actually, I did think at some point that they used your best 16 papers over 2 years, instead of each year being separate. However, now they definitely use each year's GPA separately, and have equal weighting.

Don't fear though. For Otago entry, your 3rd year counts for more than your 2nd year. If you plan to absolutely slay 3rd year, then I'm sure you could be in for a shot.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Just to clarify, they count the best 120 points "per year" from the "last two years" ONCE you have met the overall GPA across your degree (e.g. three years) requirement. This isn't new.

Lost Soul

Can you please clarify exactly what you are saying?
A gpa of Bplus across a whole degree has always been required. You are shortlisted for interview based on your last two years which are weighted equally and this gpa counts 60 per cent towards your admissuon after combining it with your UMAT and interview. Can you clarify exactly what the change is?

Ohhh, I see. A lot of my friends doing their second year of study with me were confused because they were thinking of a completely clean slate after their first year, and they confused me with this, leading to my anxiety. Maybe we misunderstood that?

Actually, I did think at some point that they used your best 16 papers over 2 years, instead of each year being separate. However, now they definitely use each year's GPA separately, and have equal weighting.

Don't fear though. For Otago entry, your 3rd year counts for more than your 2nd year. If you plan to absolutely slay 3rd year, then I'm sure you could be in for a shot.

That confuses me - when I emailed them they seemed to be talking about the GPA that accumulates across the last two years of study? Is that what you meant?

Thank you for your replies, guys and sorry if I just misunderstood it all. a friend of mine brought this up during our dinner together and I got super anxious. I've been looking for the average GPA required for postgrad med entry on the Internet after our conversation out of pure panic. Not a fun day, it's been, plus I couldn't find any information about that.

I may end up getting an average of 7 in my second year alone. Not good at all... :/ If they're looking at each year, do they get an average over the second and the third year to use for interview invitation? The more I think about this the more scared I get, haha.

(P.S. maybe it's best if I do Honours first and then apply?)

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Ohhh, I see. A lot of my friends doing their second year of study with me were confused because they were thinking of a completely clean slate after their first year, and they confused me with this, leading to my anxiety. Maybe we misunderstood that?

That confuses me - when I emailed them they seemed to be talking about the GPA that accumulates across the last two years of study? Is that what you meant?

Thank you for your replies, guys and sorry if I just misunderstood it all. a friend of mine brought this up during our dinner together and I got super anxious. I've been looking for the average GPA required for postgrad med entry on the Internet after our conversation out of pure panic. Not a fun day, it's been, plus I couldn't find any information about that.

I may end up getting an average of 7 in my second year alone. Not good at all... :/ If they're looking at each year, do they get an average over the second and the third year to use for interview invitation? The more I think about this the more scared I get, haha.

Hi,

It sounds like there was a misunderstanding/misinterpretation. You managed to spread panic to other users but it's okay. It happens sometimes.

You do get a clean slate to an extent. This is how it works:
  • You will need to achieve 6.0 across a degree (e.g. three years) to be eligible to apply for an interview;
  • You will be ranked using the last two years to be shortlisted for an interview offer;
  • You will be ranked using a combination of UMAT, interview, and the last two years to be shortlisted for a course offer.
As long as you meet the first requirement, your first year's result should no longer interfere.

In terms of the average GPA, you won't find a better place than here on the internet, in my opinion. The average GPA is pretty useless because people with GPA in the 7's have got in and others with 8's did not due to various reasons such as the interview.

I hope that clear it up a little.

Lost Soul

Hi,

It sounds like there was a misunderstanding/misinterpretation. You managed to spread panic to other users but it's okay. It happens sometimes.

Eek D: so sorry about that, guys. I was in a deep panic and frankly quite desperate for some quick answers so I ended up posting here. Just wanted some reassurance, I guess, looking for the people who got in "miraculously". But thank you all so much, and I apologise again for this mishap!! :( my friend mentioning this plus exam stress have gotten to my head :p (EDIT: feel free to delete my posts if they're too misleading for future viewers! I understand >_< )

Hi,

You do get a clean slate to an extent. This is how it works:
  • You will need to achieve 6.0 across a degree (e.g. three years) to be eligible to apply for an interview;
  • You will be ranked using the last two years to be shortlisted for an interview offer;
  • You will be ranked using a combination of UMAT, interview, and the last two years to be shortlisted for a course offer.
As long as you meet the first requirement, your first year's result should no longer interfere.

In terms of the average GPA, you won't find a better place than here on the internet, in my opinion. The average GPA is pretty useless because people with GPA in the 7's have got in and others with 8's did not due to various reasons such as the interview.

I hope that clear it up a little.

Do you think the high GPAs on here are an overrepresentation of the actual cohorts?

Jayjay

Do you think the high GPAs on here are an overrepresentation of the actual cohorts?
What do you consider high? I think the vast majority of grads are 7.5-8.5 over the last two years as a guess. Probably impossible to know if the scores here misrepresent the whole grad applicant pool

What do you consider high? I think the vast majority of grads are 7.5-8.5 over the last two years as a guess. Probably impossible to know if the scores here misrepresent the whole grad applicant pool

I think 8s really high. Yeah, it is pretty hard to know if its misrepresented but consider that people who post here might care more about medicine entry and therefore study harder and get better grades are more likely to post here as they are more invested in it. Or maybe the worriers come here (me) but who knows.

meg96

Are there any good threads out there which have some information or tips about the MMI? I’m not sure what to expect, especially because I have applied for Med and Masters of Nutrition and Dietetics, so I’m unsure how the interviews will be tailored to both of those programmes. Does anyone know if the interviewers know what programmes you have applied for before you come into the room?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Are there any good threads out there which have some information or tips about the MMI? I’m not sure what to expect, especially because I have applied for Med and Masters of Nutrition and Dietetics, so I’m unsure how the interviews will be tailored to both of those programmes. Does anyone know if the interviewers know what programmes you have applied for before you come into the room?

Hi,

This is one of the threads we have on MMI specific to Auckland.

Status
Not open for further replies.