Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I have two exams left :). But I'm not a FY hehe. I finish on the 20th, but have my interview on the 28th anyway!

YGR

Just wondering, but do they inform you if you didnt make the cut off for med? And how does the waitlist system work?

Pump

Just wondering, but do they inform you if you didnt make the cut off for med? And how does the waitlist system work?

I'm not sure about the cut-off and if you don't make it but for the waitlist, you're informed that you're put on the waitlist but I don't think they tell you where you are on the waitlist. They email you if an offer frees up. The email could come at any time from the first round of offers to the week before med school. I think someone even got the email in the orientation week of med school

P

posting123

Are people allowed to tell others what questions they were asked in the interview immediately after their interview is finished? Or is there a policy which prevents you from doing that?

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Just wondering, but do they inform you if you didnt make the cut off for med?

If you do not achieve a B+ average over all 8 of your papers even though you got an interview your name is withdrawn and yes, they do email you; it said so in the interview offer letter.

I now live in grave terror of receiving such an email.

Are people allowed to tell others what questions they were asked in the interview immediately after their interview is finished?

Yes (obviously not while still in the building!)

I hear each round gets a new set of questions; e.g. the 10 am person gets different questions from the 10.30 am person etc.

Look through some of the old threads to find examples of questions.

Pump

Are people allowed to tell others what questions they were asked in the interview immediately after their interview is finished? Or is there a policy which prevents you from doing that?

Yes (obviously not while still in the building!)

I hear each round gets a new set of questions; e.g. the 10 am person gets different questions from the 10.30 am person etc.

Look through some of the old threads to find examples of questions.

NO.
Strictly speaking, you are not allowed to questions to others (I've helped supervise the MMI before) and anyone who is found to have shared, I wouldn't be surprised if there was action to reprimand you.

I don't know if MMI has changed but questions change between sessions and not within the rounds of each session, i.e. 10am to 1030 get the same questions (That's not even the full length of an MMI but anyways) while the people that start the afternoon session will get a different question set to the morning session. Might have changed since I last did it

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
NO.
Strictly speaking, you are not allowed to questions to others (I've helped supervise the MMI before) and anyone who is found to have shared, I wouldn't be surprised if there was action to reprimand you.

I don't know if MMI has changed but questions change between sessions and not within the rounds of each session, i.e. 10am to 1030 get the same questions (That's not even the full length of an MMI but anyways) while the people that start the afternoon session will get a different question set to the morning session. Might have changed since I last did it

Not sure about how things work for UoA, but in Aus, most MMI/MSA sessions come with the signing of a confidentiality agreement.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
I heard they change between sessions, I presume this meant each person gets a different set. I can't remember what they said at the admissions lecture, but they did mention it in some form.

I think it would be a little naive of the University to expect people not to share questions; they even allowed Niesh to do a practice MMI in their building over the weekend with students who had previously done the MMI, hmm, I wonder where they got their questions from? I mean sure, try as they might but yeah. I don't think it really matters anyway, at the admissions lecture they said there's something like 140 questions they pick at random from anyway (10 for each of the 14 qualities presumably).

I still can't believe I got a bloody interview. Must be some sort of crinkle in the time-space continuum.

If you are a student attending the MMI, there is no information to tell you not to share questions. Therefore you could argue that you are allowed to share questions.

Pump

I think it would be a little naive of the University to expect people not to share questions; they even allowed Niesh to do a practice MMI in their building over the weekend with students who had previously done the MMI, hmm, I wonder where they got their questions from? I mean sure, try as they might but yeah. I don't think it really matters anyway, at the admissions lecture they said there's something like 140 questions they pick at random from anyway (10 for each of the 14 qualities presumably).

Just because you can doesn't mean you should?

I'm pretty sure the only reason why they're comfortable with Niesh doing their own thing is because they know that the questions won't be the exact same quality as the ones that they have and because the people that are helping in those kinda workshops don't actually know what interviewers are looking for.

Either way, my main point is that you're not allowed to share questions and make of that what you will.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Just because you can doesn't mean you should?

A good principle. How you think I got kinda fat this semester?

Need to get my fat ass some serious adipolysis this summer.

Final exam tomorrow, thank heavens. I'd best be careful, at this rate, I might, gasp, get in :p

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Do we have to tuck in our shirt for the interview?

I would recommend it if you are wearing a long business shirt but if you are wearing one of those shorter collared shirts with short sleeves maybe not.

Last edited:

In my opinion you need to dress like a doctor.

A doctor should have his shirt tucked in.

Think about what this tells the patient - a tucked in shirt shows that you are ready to work hard, that you are professional, and you keep the patient at rest.

How would you feel if you went to see your GP and they were wearing a casual short sleeved shirt that wasn't tucked it?

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
It depends on the shirt itself; the ones I used to wear to work from Hallenstines were long enough to tuck in, the shorter short sleeved ones from e.g. Kmart of TWH are sometimes not long enough to genuinely tuck in without them coming out when you walk (my experience anyway).

I plan to rock up in black shoes, black pants and one of my long sleeved business shirts (tucked in of course). I haven't decided on a jacket or not; probably not considering it'll be blazing hot and lets be fair, I doubt not wearing a jacket is going to be of great significance. Maybe a jacket without a tie, that'd be alright. I do like a good tie but honestly, a tie and jacket for med school interview is probs overkill.

As an aside, my GP has always worn jeans and a collared shirt which honestly I think for a GP is fine.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Such a relevant Facebook memory for this time of year for us all :p

upload_2017-11-16_13-10-19.png

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Status
Not open for further replies.