Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What are my chances?

lillysayse

MBBS III
Well, when I was investigating this (as my undergrad GPA is rubbish for Med), they confirmed via email they'd only use my postgrad. I might still have the email, but I'd have to search because I asked in about March when I was contemplating grad Med (and then tried a practice GAMSAT and realised lol no!).

I'm certain UWA uses the last 3 years of study (unfortunately I am too familiar with the process haha) Interesting they would tell you otherwise though.

"Levels of study included in the GPA calculation (including post graduate study by coursework)

UWA calculates the GPA based on the most recent three years of full time or equivalent (FTE) study excluding any exemptions, credit or advanced standing. As an example, three years of full time or equivalent study at UWA is 144 credit points, at Curtin it is 600 credit points, at ECU it is 360 credit points, at Murdoch it is 72 credit points and so on. " GPA Calculation > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia

Unless you have a PhD, in which case your GPA is automatically 7.

Brownie

One of my friends has been offered a place for dentistry in Usyd just now (it is graduate entry as she has already done Physio and sat the GAMSAT) but it is a Full Fee Paying offer. It is something she always wanted to do and finally got there. She is wondering whether she can hold the offer for one year till she gets the finances sorted out? Has anyone been in a similar situation and was able to hold the offer for one year? And if so on what grounds? I would really appreciate any advise on this.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
What I don't get about UWA actually is that they say they exclude credited papers are part of their calculations, but also say that any study completed in last 3 years FTE is counted?

If I finish this degree, I'll have spent the last two years at Auckland, having spent a year at Otago the year prior. I had to credit my Otago papers to study at Auckland, but I had also done part of my last 3 years FTE at Otago.

So... does that mean my Otago papers don't count as they were credited, or does it count because it's in my last 3 years FTE? :confused::eek:

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
One of my friends has been offered a place for dentistry in Usyd just now (it is graduate entry as she has already done Physio and sat the GAMSAT) but it is a Full Fee Paying offer. It is something she always wanted to do and finally got there. She is wondering whether she can hold the offer for one year till she gets the finances sorted out? Has anyone been in a similar situation and was able to hold the offer for one year? And if so on what grounds? I would really appreciate any advise on this.

From the USyd website:

"Applications for the deferral of enrolment following an offer of a place in the Doctor of Dental Medicine will only be considered under exceptional circumstances, and require the approval of the Associate Dean.
Requests for deferral must be in writing and must be received by 30 November. Applicants must accept a place before they can submit a request to defer. Deferment can only be granted one year at a time and will not be expected to last longer than two years. Requests will be considered by the Admissions Committee and the Assoc. Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry. Supporting documentation must be provided in order for any request to be granted".

lillysayse

MBBS III
What I don't get about UWA actually is that they say they exclude credited papers are part of their calculations, but also say that any study completed in last 3 years FTE is counted?

If I finish this degree, I'll have spent the last two years at Auckland, having spent a year at Otago the year prior. I had to credit my Otago papers to study at Auckland, but I had also done part of my last 3 years FTE at Otago.

So... does that mean my Otago papers don't count as they were credited, or does it count because it's in my last 3 years FTE? :confused::eek:

This part is a mess around. I experienced it this year as I had to surrender a qualification to be awarded with a higher qualification. I had to go through a lot of run around for them to give credit transfer as duplicate credit where your grades get taken across (otherwise it just comes up as credit where they know you've completed an equivalent unit but don't see your grade)

Basically, you need to contact UWA and expect to go on a run around lol.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

See point 5: Dental Medicine - Dentistry - The University of Sydney

DDest

UAdel BDS III
Hi guys,

I'm a non-standard, applying for dentistry next year. I was wondering if the university I go to or the course i'm doing influence my chances of getting an offer?

Hello!

I believe that for UQ only, there is a different GPA-ATAR conversion for non-standard applicants. For example, a GPA between 6.25 - 6.49 is considered as an ATAR of 99 if the Bachelor course was undertaken at UQ, otherwise this same GPA range from any other institution is equivalent to an ATAR of 98.

Source: Page 8 of "https://future-students.uq.edu.au/files/8838/UG_Entry_Options_2018.pdf"

Otherwise, it should be consistent across the other Dental universities.

See: 2017-18 Dent schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks so much for that DDest but I meant for instance, would Medical Science students have a higher chance of getting an offer than Commerce students? Do universities differentiate between students by the course they do or the university they attend prior to applying for dentistry?

I'm pretty sure the answers are: no and no, with the exception of courses that require anatomy, physiology, biochemistry pre-requisites (UMelb Med for example, unsure if Dent, too, if they even offer Dent) and Flinders, who I think have quite significant bonuses for their own students (again, may be Med only).

As per the reply you received above, UQ clearly also prefer their own students (by way of giving them an effective GPA bonus, so the Uni you went to would matter for them in some instances, depending on your GPA).

As with Med, the title of your undergrad degree doesn't matter. Your GPA does.