Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, does anyone know if a Biomed student going for post grad med/dent in Otago and Auckland, is better off doing 7 or 8 papers in 2nd year?
Also does it not matter whether you do 100 level papers in 2nd year?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hello, does anyone know if a Biomed student going for post grad med/dent in Otago and Auckland, is better off doing 7 or 8 papers in 2nd year?
Also does it not matter whether you do 100 level papers in 2nd year?
Thanks!

Hi,

It's kind of up to you whether you would do seven or eight papers. For scoring purposes, seven is all you need. Many people take eight just in case they don't do as well but it really depends on you

You may study 100 level papers in your second year. However, for Auckland application, 100 level papers taken in Summer School will not be used in scoring.

If you have further questions, reply below. I am more than happy to help.

-edit-
I would like to encourage you to search through the graduate forum prior to asking. It has a lot information regarding admissions. If you are still lost, let me know.

Last edited:

monty101

Hi guys, please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I'm a mature student who was working for years until returning to first year at UOA last year with the hope of getting into med (it had been 6 years since my first degree so wasn't eligible for that route). Long story short, I bombed in CHEM110 and didn't get an interview. This year i've transferred into a 2-year Clinical Masters programme. I love what im studying, but the fire for med still burns so I would like to keep the option of graduate entry open for when i finish this....

I have already directed my queries to the FMHS but they give the most vague responses so before I reply for more info I thought i'd pick the brains of these knowledgeable forummers.

1) If i apply with a 2 year masters programme, which '3rd' year do they use in my gpa calc - the last year of my undergrad from years ago, or the first year from health science that I dropped out of?
2) Will the fact that i got a C+ in CHem110 ruin my chances despite hitting the other re

required GPA thresholds? The study centre assure me that it wont, but i know that non-science grad entrants have to complete core 1st year papers with atleast a B- grade (at least last year)... So does my C+ in Chem destroy me, even if i go in with a >8.0 GPA from masters?

Merged your posts for you - froot

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi guys, please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I'm a mature student who was working for years until returning to first year at UOA last year with the hope of getting into med (it had been 6 years since my first degree so wasn't eligible for that route). Long story short, I bombed in CHEM110 and didn't get an interview. This year i've transferred into a 2-year Clinical Masters programme. I love what im studying, but the fire for med still burns so I would like to keep the option of graduate entry open for when i finish this....

I have already directed my queries to the FMHS but they give the most vague responses so before I reply for more info I thought i'd pick the brains of these knowledgeable forummers.

1) If i apply with a 2 year masters programme, which '3rd' year do they use in my gpa calc - the last year of my undergrad from years ago, or the first year from health science that I dropped out of?
2) Will the fact that i got a C+ in CHem110 ruin my chances despite hitting the other re

required GPA thresholds? The study centre assure me that it wont, but i know that non-science grad entrants have to complete core 1st year papers with atleast a B- grade (at least last year)... So does my C+ in Chem destroy me, even if i go in with a >8.0 GPA from masters?

Merged your posts for you - froot

Hi monty101,

Since your masters degree is 2 years in total, your grades in those two years of your masters degree will be used for entrance.

They will not deny you entry into med just because of a C+. If you are accepted into med, you will be asked to get the notes for the first year papers. Note that you do not need to formally take each paper, i.e. sit exams/do assignments if the university does not require you to do so.

Good on you for having the passion and determination to achieve your dreams. When you get accepted into med remember how much you deserve it. I've noticed that the post-graduate students in med are more gracious and humble, and I certainly have a lot of respect for them :)

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hey, guys!

What papers did you all do to achieve such amazing GPAs?!

I'm looking to switch from Pharmacology to something like Biology, or perhaps something else. What would you guys recommend in terms of workload?

I've been doing quite well for MEDSCI201/3/5 and STATS101 (my 2nd lowest mid-sem result was STATS101 18/20!), but it's coming at the cost of my mental health. MEDSCI 204 and BIOSCI203 for next semester seem very daunting, even if I do have MATHS102 and INTBUS152g along with it.

I was thinking of doing BIOSCI205/7/10, then 3rd-year papers for BIOSCI. How are 3rd-year BIOSCI and STATS papers?

Thanks for your time.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
2) Will the fact that i got a C+ in CHem110 ruin my chances despite hitting the other rerequired GPA thresholds? The study centre assure me that it wont, but i know that non-science grad entrants have to complete core 1st year papers with atleast a B- grade (at least last year)... So does my C+ in Chem destroy me, even if i go in with a >8.0 GPA from masters?

G'day mate,

UOA only look at your last two years of study, whether it's two years of an undergrad, or two PGDips, or a Masters. The only bearing whatever you did in undergrad years ago might be is on what papers they make you sit (if any). To put another way, only your last two years GPA count for medicine, provided (a) they are at a New Zealand university and were (b) not more than five years ago.

Depending on the content of your Masters and how much it overlaps with BHSc First Year you might be given a conditional place in MBChB II and asked to pass some, or all, of the core First Year papers with a prescribed grade. I know somebody who this applied to, they had to pass three papers (Chem, Bio and Medsci) with a B+ or better.

I feel your agony mate, CHEM110 and I are locked in war at the moment ... I will slay it but gawd, just, and with a lot of blinding brain pain involved. I'd rather you know, be tortured or something. It's pretty bad eh ... not even fake news.

P

posting123

Hey, I wouldn't worry at all. They will look at your most recent two years for you GPA calculation. In terms of CHEM 110, there is no requirement of getting a specific grade for graduate entry - I know this because I also got a very poor grade in CHEM 110 and met with people at the student centre who reassured me that it did not matter (and it didn't cause I'm now in 2nd year med). Also, this year they removed the requirement of non-science grads completing first year core papers, they just provide you with the lecture recordings and course guides and expect you to vaguely know the basics.

When you say that non science grads don't have to do the core papers? I am wondering where you got that information? Because on the website it still says that applicants may be required to undertake part or all of the first year courses depending on the nature of their previous studies. So I'm curious as to where you got the information?

Grape

Trainee Intern
Hi guys!

just wondering if Auckland will consider level 2 papers taken in the third year?

Thanks

Grape

Trainee Intern
Hi again,

Does Auckland consider courses that are run as an internship?
And do they consider courses graded with Aegrotat?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi again,

Does Auckland consider courses that are run as an internship?
And do they consider courses graded with Aegrotat?

Hi,

I am not 100% certain on the internship but I would think it's a no. As far as I know, aegrotat passes are no good because you don't get a proper grade. (Same for Otago)

P

posting123

Hi,

I was wondering for Auckland uni med graduate pathway, if someone had a GPA of 8.56ish for their last two years but their UMAT was about 30% percentile, what are the chances like for getting an offer into Medicine?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

I was wondering for Auckland uni med graduate pathway, if someone had a GPA of 8.56ish for their last two years but their UMAT was about 30% percentile, what are the chances like for getting an offer into Medicine?

Hi,

That's highly possible but it would depend on your interview.

P

posting123

An average interview score would be enough!
Although I don't know what the average is now for postgraduates it's safe to say that 8.56 is a solid gpa that will buffer well for lower umat.
Hi Hanzo,

Thank you for your response. I was wondering if you knew any grads at Auckland med school in your year who had low umat and got in? I mean general applicants i.e. non-rural non-mapas.

Hanzo

PGY1
Hi Hanzo,

Thank you for your response. I was wondering if you knew any grads at Auckland med school in your year who had low umat and got in? I mean general applicants i.e. non-rural non-mapas.
Hey,

Not that I am too aware of, but close to 40th percentile ? But with an 8.7 gpa.

Non mapas non rural GPAs were 7.5 to 9.0 with probably a higher proportion of gpas at 8 or above in atleast our year. It's hard to predict entry especially for postgraduates but just remmeber umat scores are likely to improve from 1st year to 3rd year if that is your concern!

P

posting123

Hey,

Not that I am too aware of, but close to 40th percentile ? But with an 8.7 gpa.

Non mapas non rural GPAs were 7.5 to 9.0 with probably a higher proportion of gpas at 8 or above in atleast our year. It's hard to predict entry especially for postgraduates but just remmeber umat scores are likely to improve from 1st year to 3rd year if that is your concern!

but someone with a GPA of 8.5 with 30th percentile would be going in to the interview more strongly compared to someone with a GPA of 8.1 and 70 or 80th percentile right? If you use 60% for GPA and 15% for UMAT, then the former person would have more of the percentage than the latter person, am I correct?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

It is quite difficult to say exactly what. As far as I am aware, they don't tell you much about the interview performance for those who did get an offer. Also, we don't have a lot of information on MSO to get a good estimate of what it might be.

The former would not have as much 'strength' as the latter.

- edit -
If I recall correctly, one or more MSO members in the past got an offer with less than 20%ile overall UMAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.