Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith's Reputation

l2009

The first year is terrible with little to no actual dental exposure

Unfortunately true, when I was in first year. I hear it has improved a little since then. But still not good enough in my opinion.

subjects were the equivalent of year 11/12 content.

Not true.

Hi Guys,

Is there like a course list on GU's website telling you what you are expeceted to study each year? I couldn't find it myself..
When will the clinical practices come in place? (Around in which year?)
After talking to an agent..I actually think I have a chance at GU next year. Love to learn more about the course myself!

So for other dent schools such as UQ or JCU, they'll expose to clinical practices at an ealier time?
Thanks

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Not true.

Maybe he was mistaken about IB HL year 11 and 12, which would effectively be year 12 and first year uni.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi Guys,

Is there like a course list on GU's website telling you what you are expeceted to study each year? I couldn't find it myself..
When will the clinical practices come in place? (Around in which year?)
After talking to an agent..I actually think I have a chance at GU next year. Love to learn more about the course myself!

So for other dent schools such as UQ or JCU, they'll expose to clinical practices at an ealier time?
Thanks

JCU, CSU, UQ & UWA introduce simulation clinic training in first year. I think La Trobe as well. Not sure.

Edit: And adelaide.

Last edited:
JCU, CSU, UQ & UWA introduce simulation clinic training in first year. I think La Trobe as well. Not sure.
I see..
Hmm..then will the length of simulation clinic traning be all the same for all of the dent schools across Aus. be the same? (Like, you might not get clinic traning first year, then does that mean you'll get more in the second year or third year ect.?)

I know people like to get more exposed to clinical work ASAP to get more use to it over time, but what are some disadvantages not getting exposed to clinical work in the first year?

wazii

I see..
Hmm..then will the length of simulation clinic traning be all the same for all of the dent schools across Aus. be the same? (Like, you might not get clinic traning first year, then does that mean you'll get more in the second year or third year ect.?)

I know people like to get more exposed to clinical work ASAP to get more use to it over time, but what are some disadvantages not getting exposed to clinical work in the first year?

Whilst Dentistry requires a lot of theoretical understanding, in the end the job entails high levels of manual dexterity and motor control. The early you can get exposure the better as it allows you a greater period of time to refine those skills.

You can know everything there is to perform a procedure, how to treat a certain disease but if you don't have the skills to apply that knowledge you can never be a competent dentist.

Whilst Dentistry requires a lot of theoretical understanding, in the end the job entails high levels of manual dexterity and motor control. The early you can get exposure the better as it allows you a greater period of time to refine those skills.

You can know everything there is to perform a procedure, how to treat a certain disease but if you don't have the skills to apply that knowledge you can never be a competent dentist.
Fair enough. I kind of think a period of concentrated clinical training is also good..I kind of like cramping myself..lol..
If the period of time of clinical exposure is the same for all dent school, then I suppose it may not be too much of a deal. If not, then I should take that into consideration..

l2009

Here you go :) Griffith University | Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science - Gold Coast

Seems like GU is the only dental school so far which doesn't introduce simulation training for first year. The current course profile for the actual dental module in first year hasn't been released yet, so who knows if the school has decided to introduce it for the fresh batch of first years.

The disadvantages of not being exposed to pre-clinical work (not clinical work ... clinical work, I would say is fairly different to pre-clinical work), is that you would struggle a bit in second year if you don't have particularly good manual dexterity to do good cavity preparations or fillings. I personally didn't feel it was a massive disadvantage though. Very few people ended up repeated second year due to failing the cavity prep/restoration exam. But I'm of the mind that aspects of pre-clinic training should definitely be introduced in first year.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Yes, and Adelaide. Got a funny feeling the OP was referring to griff though as this is a griff thread.

"So for other dent schools such as UQ or JCU, they'll expose to pre-clinical practices at an ealier time?"
Thanks

I was replying to the above question by dentdream, but I didn't really give enough detail. Griffith in past years has begun pre-clinical exposure in second year but will introduce a clinical subject in first year in 2012 for the first time. Around 5-10 years ago UQ use to have pre-clinical subjects from second year onwards only and first year was pure science only but the course structure has evolved over the years to introduce pre-clinical subjects in first year instead.

dent_guy

I will give you more insight. Last year we learnt that cells had mitochondria.

This was just my experience of first year. It was very easy and not related directly to dentistry. Of course the anatomy and physiology was interesting but the other subjects were like doing yr 12 all over again.

Griffith is a fine Uni with capable teaching staff, but in terms of comparing dent courses across Australia, IMO it would rate low. It's alot more expensive and has less clinical exposure. So if you could, I would suggest choosing a different Uni, but if it's your only option, it's perfectly fine. Hope that helps!

UMAT Acer

With regards to the new simodont system, some claim that they are better than phantom heads. Is this true? Its quite hard to believe as phantom heads are essentially more realistic. What other universities use simodont besides Griffith?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
With regards to the new simodont system, some claim that they are better than phantom heads. Is this true? Its quite hard to believe as phantom heads are essentially more realistic. What other universities use simodont besides Griffith?

Simodonts is great for hand and eye coordination training but I wouldn't say they are better than phantom heads. You are limited to what you can do on a simodont. I don't think you can learn how to carve amalgam restorations, place linings/bonds and polishing/finishing restorations etc The list goes on. They have pros and cons I would say. Griffith is the only uni so far that has introduced these units to australia.

Any thoughts on the simodonts from current griffith students?

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
Wouldn't they be using a combination of phantom heads and simodont so you wouldn't be missing out on anything and would rather be gaining a whole new experience that you wouldn't get otherwise.

This news article seems to say 3 unis are trialing them. Are Griffith the only ones to actually go ahead with them for all students?

[box=Video][video=youtube;vboPp24RmN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vboPp24RmN0[/video][/box]

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Wouldn't they be using a combination of phantom heads and simodont so you wouldn't be missing out on anything and would rather be gaining a whole new experience that you wouldn't get otherwise.

This news article seems to say 3 unis are trialing them. Are Griffith the only ones to actually go ahead with them for all students?

[box=Video][video=youtube;vboPp24RmN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vboPp24RmN0[/video][/box]

I'm assuming they are using simodonts and phantom heads as a combination anyway :) I'll check out the video.

Edit: After watching it, I really like the idea of being able to perform unique cases you might not be able to simulate on a phantom head. I wonder which other two universities got them :)

UMAT Acer

That is true but I think the simodont is replacing certain simulation procedures traditionally done on phantom heads rather than students being taught the same procedure on both phantom heads and simodont

For every new course its reputation is based on the students that came before them. The reputation is based on the students and teaching staff. In my opinion I wouldnt be particularly picky because I would be so grateful to get even get in the course to study dentistry. Anyways it doesnt matter where you study. Just make sure the course is accredited by professional bodies where BoH Dental science + GradDip. Dentistry by GU is. I studied Nursing at UTS Sydney because it had a higher UAI/ATAR cut off where it UWS it was considerably lower. The reputation is better at UTS however when I got in the workplace new graduates from whatever uni would each be paid the same. Not sure if is applicable of Dentistry because most people are employed privately and can negotiate their own wage.

Just to set the record straight.
Simodont is implemented in over 70 Universities worldwide. In Australia 7 of the major dental schools have Simodont's in place. Griffith University School of Dentistry and Oral Health is one of those. Simodont is designed to help enable a faster and more efficient transition between pre-clinical and clinical training by enabling students to learn in a safe, clean and repeatable environment. Simodont was never designed to replace Phantom heads. Both offer uniquely different skill sets needed for developing the next generation of dentists.

AndHan19

This is an old post so I would love to hear from current students on their thoughts about dentistry @ Griffith. If you can share your thoughts on the courses, the clinics, life at campus...etc then that would be greatly appreciated!