Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Grad] GAMSAT with a second Bachelor's

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
For graduate admission into Australian Medical schools, does GAMSAT only consider your first degree?

e.g. Can I do a second BSc, and have GAMSAT only consider the GPA from this second BSc instead of the first degree/"combining" the GPA of the 1st and 2nd degrees?

Pirsig

From my understanding they'll take it from your most recently completed AQF level 7 bachelor's degree. I.E. your first option.

Bear in mind a few important caveats: USyd require 2 years FTE at the awarding institute, some universities will take post-grad qualifications or 'last 3 years FTE' etc etc.

Best bet is to check the GEMSAS guide: GEMSAS | Graduate Entry Medicine

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
For graduate admission into Australian Medical schools, does GAMSAT only consider your first degree?

e.g. Can I do a second BSc, and have GAMSAT only consider the GPA from this second BSc instead of the first degree/"combining" the GPA of the 1st and 2nd degrees?

I know for UMAT they assess your most current degree (i.e. they can even assess a degree that you are currently completing as your current degree and use your GPA up until the point of admission). No, they don't combine GPAs unfortunately.

I dare say it is probably the same for GAMSAT, but best to ask the university in question.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I know for UMAT they assess your most current degree (i.e. they can even assess a degree that you are currently completing as your current degree and use your GPA up until the point of admission). No, they don't combine GPAs unfortunately.

I dare say it is probably the same for GAMSAT, but best to ask the university in question.
This would be correct ONLY if you are completing your current degree in the year of application, otherwise they only look at the first, completed degree GPA. I am not aware of any postgraduate unis combining GPAs to calculate entry scores.

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
This would be correct ONLY if you are completing your current degree in the year of application, otherwise they only look at the first, completed degree GPA. I am not aware of any postgraduate unis combining GPAs to calculate entry scores.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I said because that is what I was referring to ;)

I have copied a response I was given in regards to this when I have been enquiring about UMAT and it may be similiar for GAMSAT:

If you are applying on the basis of a completed bachelor degree we require a GPA of 4.3. We do not assess the field of study as part of assessing academic eligibility.

If you are enrolled in tertiary study for say 2018 we would assess your academic eligibility based on that study only where you have completed one year full time or its equivalent part time. Only one degree would be assessed for the purpose of determining academic eligibility. There can be no credit as part of that degree and we do not combine GPAs from the different degrees. For an incomplete bachelor degree you need to have a GPA of 4.7 on the 7 point scale.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I think you may have misinterpreted what I said because that is what I was referring to ;)

I have copied a response I was given in regards to this when I have been enquiring about UMAT:

If you are applying on the basis of a completed bachelor degree we require a GPA of 4.3. We do not assess the field of study as part of assessing academic eligibility.

If you are enrolled in tertiary study for say 2018 we would assess your academic eligibility based on that study only where you have completed one year full time or its equivalent part time. Only one degree would be assessed for the purpose of determining academic eligibility. There can be no credit as part of that degree and we do not combine GPAs from the different degrees. For an incomplete bachelor degree you need to have a GPA of 4.7 on the 7 point scale.
Apologies if I caused confusion - my comment relates only to graduate medicine admission (i.e that which requires GAMSAT) as that is what the OP asked about - discussion about UMAT and undergraduate admission rules isn’t relevant to that, as you can’t use UMAT to apply for postgrad unis.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads