Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2011 HSFY Medicine Waitlist Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lego Man

Hi guys, first of all, commiserations to those on the waitlist. Now to the point: the NZ Forum Development Team have decided to split the discussions of those who have been waitlisted into its own thread, since it's becoming a fairly sizeable topic of discussion on its own. So here we have it, the 2011 HSFY Medicine Waitlist Thread.

Happy discussing, and again, best of luck to all of you, we hope you eventually get the offer you've been waiting for. :)

- NZ Forum Development Team

Got my response too... waitlisted argh! haha looks like the wait for me will continue. Since my ranking score was 77.7, the cutoff for this year must be slightly higher than in previous years. Hopefully expecting good news in the coming weeks though haha fingers crossed :D congrats to all the people who got the results they were hoping for!! Man, pretty intense year it's been...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lego Man

Oh, btw, is there anyone else who got waitlisted?? I guess knowing the ranking scores of other waitlistees will give a rough idea of where we stand... missed bioc lab, damn you!!! :p lol

frootloop

Doctor
Cut-off seems rather high this year :( Keep your heads up, waitlist-ees, most (not all, obviously) of the waitlist ends up with an offer, by the sounds of things :)

Manifest

Lurker
Waitlisted with a 77.8, got into dent though so i am more than content :)
Btw I know someone who got a straight offer with a 78.99 rank score, so bet all you borderline people will get in! ^^

All the best,
Manifest

Last edited:

Hebros

Waitlist for Med and got offer for dent. Ranking score around 78.7. I must be very very close to cutoff. Had it not been for MSO I would never have checked my emails.
So how does it actually work with the waitlist? How do places become available @greenglacier ? Big time congratulations to everyone!!!!

Last edited:

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
There'll be a big round of waitlist offers once the deadline for everyone to accept offers has passed. Don't expect it for a couple of weeks at least - the admissions office will be able to tell you if you email them after new years. After that offers just trickle through one at a time.

It does sound like you're very close to the cutoff as well.

Hebros

Thanks for the quick reply [MENTION=5161]greenglacier[/MENTION]. How do places actually become available other then people choosing dent over med? How many people are you aware of having received an offer in that bigish first round close to the 14th of January?

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
How do places actually become available other then people choosing dent over med?
People choosing to go to a med school overseas, or just for whatever reason deciding not to do Otago med.

frootloop

Doctor
Thanks for the quick reply @greenglacier . How do places actually become available other then people choosing dent over med? How many people are you aware of having received an offer in that bigish first round close to the 14th of January?
There are quite a few Australians/others in HSFY who may well turn down an Otago offer if they receive offers in their own country. But pretty much (for the HSFY category), I'd hazard a guess that the main reason spots open up is when people reject a medicine offer for dent/pharm/physio/etc.
And since they don't officially release the size of the waitlist, and we are *very* unlikely to have every person on the waitlist on MSO, it's a little difficult for us to work out the size of the waitlist, and therefore the proportion of people who get in off it. All we can say is, anecdotally, most people we know of who have been put on the waitlist, seem to end up with an offer.

Hebros

Ok. Thanks.
Is there a separate waitlist for graduates and HSFY?
Also my guess is that they might have a few spaces saved for those people who are taking exams later for compassionate reasons.
So the waiting continues. It is nice to have the offer for dent though.

Last edited:
So do you know of anyone that had been on the waitlist and didnt end up with an offer?
Argh hope they put out more offers soon...and i think lots of post grads might choose auckland over otago for another source of people pulling out by the way...hopefully

OtagoLol

got waitlisted.

CELS191: 94
HUBS191: 90
PHSI191: 90
CHEM191: 89
HUBS192: 88
BIOC192: 86
HEAL192: 85

AVG: 88.86

UMAT: 2011
Sec1: 61
Sec2: 51
Sec3: 62

(88.86x2/3) + (0.45x61+0.45x51+0.1x62)x1/3=

Ranking Score: 78.1

My 2010 UMAT was sec1: 52 sec2: 55 sec3:59
which would give a rank score of 77.3.

I gave them both years ID numbers, you dont think its possible theyd accidently use my last years umat? would theyd?

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
got waitlisted.

CELS191: 94
HUBS191: 90
PHSI191: 90
CHEM191: 89
HUBS192: 88
BIOC192: 86
HEAL192: 85

AVG: 88.86

UMAT: 2011
Sec1: 61
Sec2: 51
Sec3: 62

(88.86x2/3) + (0.45x61+0.45x51+0.1x62)x1/3=

Ranking Score: 78.1

My 2010 UMAT was sec1: 52 sec2: 55 sec3:59
which would give a rank score of 77.3.

I gave them both years ID numbers, you dont think its possible theyd accidently use my last years umat? would theyd?
Nope, cutoff this year for general seemed to have been between 78.75 and 78.99.

OtagoLol

as in how does it relate to my question? i wasnt asking about the cut off, it already seemed like 78.9 to me based on some numbers here

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
sorry its a bit late , but wat are u talking about exactly?
There is someone with 78.75 who got waitlisted (and everyone we've heard from below that have been waitlisted), and someone with 78.99 who got in. So, the cutoff is between 78.75 and 78.99, and someone with 77.1 did not even get waitlisted, so, at worst, the fact that you got waitlisted shows that it's unlikely they would've taken your 2010 UMAT, and at best, whether they took your 2011 UMAT or 2010 UMAT doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.