Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2014 Otago HSFY Ranking Scores and Offers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frootloop

Doctor
So I've been advised that it's 'my turn' to do this thread this year. Because I'm lazy this template has been refined over the last couple of years by me/cathay/greenglacier,and needs little/no improvement, I've just copy-pasted last year's one and made minor changes as necessary.

So as far as I'm aware, all HSFY grades are up, and unless you're one of those people who just doesn't check their UMAT score, you should know all your marks by now. So for anyone who wants an appraisal of their chances of getting into med, or would like future years to have the same information available as we've been able to give you, here's your chance.

Why should I post anything at all?
As you guys all know, for the past few years we've been able to give HSFY students a fairly precise indication of the cutoff data from previous years. This is not because we have access to some "insider information", but because our forum members (even the lurkers who only sign up to post their results or message their results to one of us) have made generous contributions by sharing their own grades and application outcomes. We would like to continue being able to provide precise, recent data for future HSFYers, but to do this, we need your help, and if you've found MSO helpful this year, this is one way of giving something back, and helping us help future HSFYers.

You'll also benefit yourself by posting your ranking scores (and offers), in addition to helping MSO. Here are a few benefits:
  1. You'll get your ranking score calculation double-checked (if you provide UMAT scores and HSFY grades).
  2. One (or more) of the senior members of the forum will personally give you their opinion on your chances of receiving an offer for medicine.
  3. You'll get to find out how close you are to the actual cutoff when offers come out.

What is the ranking score, anyway?
The "Ranking Score" is a score that combines your UMAT section scores and HSFY grades into one number that the admissions office presumably ranks people using. You'll find it mentioned in the admission rules (links below), along with all the weightings. It's an arbitrary number with no units, and there's no minimum or maximum. (So no, it's not out of 100 as it's commonly thought to be.)

To calculate, there are two components which are combined:
Weighted UMAT = S1 x 0.45 + S2 x 0.45 + S3 x 0.10
(S1 = raw score for Section 1, S2 = raw score for Section 2, S3 = raw score for Section 3)
HSFY Average = (Sum of best 7 grades) / 7
(Note: If you've done an 8th paper, then it's the average of your best 7; if you haven't, it's just the average of your 7 core papers.)
(Note 2: If one of your 7 core papers is below 70, then unfortunately you are not eligible for medicine; this applies even if you have taken an 8th paper.)

Links to official admission rules:
1) Health Science Admissions Office page: Link
2) Unviersity Calendar MBChB Rules page: Link

How do I go about contributing?
The easiest way is to simply sign up (if you haven't already), and post a reply in this thread with your ranking score (see below), and update it with offer statuses once those come out. Your post can be as detailed or as obscure as you want, ranging from a simple "my ranking score is ..." to a full breakdown of all your marks - all that's really necessary for posting is the willingness to share your ranking score and (eventually) offer status. Do be aware that what you post here is available for the entire world to see (although it's not very meaningful for the rest of the world), so only post what you're comfortable sharing with strangers.

If you're not comfortable posting your scores publicly, you can send them via private messages to myself, @Cathay or @greenglacier , we'll check your calculation and give an opinion on your chances, and your scores will be used to help us work out the cutoff, but will be treated confidentially and only publicly posted in an anonymous manner.

To current second/third years: Cath, gg and I have been out of the HSFY loop for years, and none of us even live in Dunedin any more. So our only link to HSFY-world at the moment is MSO, and as such we may need a hand from the likes of @music a @rustyedges @Wongtong @Bluerock @any other ELMers floating around, in case there have been any drastic rule changes we don't know of.

Here's an example of what your post could look like. You can of course choose how much detail to post (some people go all out and put in their terms test marks), but a ranking score is essential, and I would encourage you to provide as much information as you're comfortable providing, especially if you'd like your ranking score double (or triple) checked.

Example:
Frootloop:

UMAT:
S1: 66
S2: 62
S3: 60
Overall: S1 x 0.45 + S2 x 0.45 + S3 x 0.1= 63.6

HSFY:
CHEM191: 85%
CELS191: 95%
HUBS191: 90%
PHSI191: 89%
MAOR102: 93%
HEAL192: 87%
BIOC192: 84%
HUBS192: 91%
HSFY average: 90% (on the dot!)

Ranking score: 81.2 (Ok last year's cut-off, I'm going to teach you a new trick; 'Stay' :lol: )
Applications:

Medicine: Offered a place (Accepted!)
Dentistry: Offered a place
Pharmacy: Offered a place
(Note: Obviously I'd gone back and edited in the offer statuses later on, at this stage you can just put what you've applied for)

So how are my chances?
The cutoff for straight into med (that is, direct offer without being on waiting list) for the last three years were: 2011: 78.9, 2012: 79.8, 2013: 79.8-80.0. Like any other year, this cutoff can move in either direction, depending on prevailing UMATs, prevailing grades, and how the admissions office feels (seriously, they get the ultimate decision on the HSFY : Graduate : Other ratio). Anything above the past cutoffs should, at the very least, give you a good chance with the waitlist. However there are no guarentees that the cutoff point will not move.

We reckon that anyone with ranking score over 82 should feel very safe, but this does not by any means imply a score below 82 doesn't have a good chance. Unfortunately we are unaware of the cutoff point from previous years for entry off the waiting list.

As for the waitlist:

Yes, plenty of people get in off the waitlist. A certain number of places are held aside for people sitting special exams over summer, and obviously a lot of those people don't get in, freeing up those spaces. And a not-insignificant number of people turn down med for dentistry/pharmacy/other, or simply realise medicine isn't for them. People even drop out within several weeks of getting into the course, there was a guy who joined my 2nd year clinical skills group two weeks late. And then there's the people who get offers at Australian/other schools and head over there. So being waitlisted is NOT a 'decline' letter. As far as I know, if you email the admissions office they tell you where (to within 5 places) on the list you sit. My own (read: my own) observation on MSO has been that the top 20-25ish on the waitlist seem to end up with offers.

The lowest score posted on last year's version of this thread for getting in off the waitlist was a 78.95, nearly a point lower than the direct cut-off. By comparison, the lowest waitlist score I could find for my year (2011) was 78.7, which is only 0.2 lower than the direct cut-of. So the number of people declining (and/or the number of people with very similar scores) each year changes quite a bit.

Last year (2013 intake), I'm told that someone got in who didn't even initially make the waitlist (ie; was flat-out rejected in the first offer round). I vaguely remember skyglow saying something like that happened in the year above his, which must've been like 2007. Point being, it doesn't happen often, so false hope based on stories like that is probably going to end in disappointment.

We'll make a waitlist thread after first-round offers are released, which, cruelly, is usually <10 days out from Christmas.

Disclaimer:
As I'm sure you can all appreciate, any advice anyone gives you about your chances via MSO is speculative only (albeit based on previous year's cut-offs), and as such cannot be guaranteed to be correct. That said, we're obviously not trying to mislead you, and any advice we do give is with the best of intentions, and to the best of our knowledge. -NZ Forum Development Team

Pharaoh44

Lurker
Here goes... first post!!! Thank you frootloop and all the senior members for your tremendous help and wise words across all the forums. Wish I had discovered this earlier!

UMAT:
S1: 58
S2: 54
S3: 56

HSFY:
CHEM191: 97
CELS191: 98
HUBS191: 96
PHSI191: 98

STAT115: 100
HEAL192: 95
BIOC192: 97
HUBS192: 97

Rank score = 83.7

UPDATE:
Offered Medicine and Dentistry

Last edited:

iMed

Lurker
Second post!!

UMAT:
S1: 65
S2: 50
S3: 54

HSFY:
CHEM191: 91
HUBS191: 94
CELS191: 96
PHSY191: 89

HUBS192: 93
BIOC192: 91
HEAL192: 92
MAOR192: 93

Rank score: 80.95

Hopefully last years cutoff doesn't change! :S Wondering if they use unrounded results in rank score calculations or use the ones they release to us?

rustyedges

Well done on completing health sci. Hope you guys are having a well earned break.

Here goes... first post!!! Thank you frootloop and all the senior members for your tremendous help and wise words across all the forums. Wish I had discovered this earlier!

UMAT:
S2: 54
S3: 56

HSFY:
CHEM191: 97
CELS191: 98
HUBS191: 96
PHSI191: 98

STAT115: 100
HEAL192: 95
BIOC192: 97
HUBS192: 97

Rank score = 83.7
Congratulations on those very impressive results! You should expect an offer in December, unless something goes very wrong. Well done.

Second post!!

UMAT:
S1: 65
S2: 50
S3: 54

HSFY:
CHEM191: 91
HUBS191: 94
PHSY191: 89

BIOC192: 91
HEAL192: 92
MAOR192: 93

Rank score: 80.95

Hopefully last years cutoff doesn't change! :S Wondering if they use unrounded results in rank score calculations or use the ones they release to us?

Well done. That rank score would have been high enough to get an offer for any year MSO has been recording. There is a no guarantee that the cut off wont change, but you should still have a good chance.

Barista95

UMAT:
S1: 63
S2: 35 (Honestly, how do you study for this)
S3: 70

HSFY:
Top 7 Ave: 96.6

Rank Score: 82.1?

Hope everybody is having a nice holiday :D
I'm interested in Dent, but i heard the interview cut-off was 40 for each sections of UMAT and i ended up missing out on interview ...
#postgrad

Wish everyone the very best for the outcome in Dec though!

============EDIT: Offers Released

Offered
-Medicine
-Medical Lab
-Pharmacy
-Physiotherapy

Unsuccessful
-Dentistry

Still considering between Medicine and Bio-medicine Lol

Last edited:

ja7

UMAT
S2: 76
S3: 52

HSFY
CHEM191: 93 (replace with Maori)
HUBS191: 95
PHSI191: 97
HEAL192: 94
MAOR102: 95
HUBS192: 95
BIOC192: 95

Rank score is 85.4 I think?

Applied for:
medicine - offered - accepted :D

Thanks to mso for all the info about HSFY! So helpful :D

Last edited:

bookworm

Lurker
UMAT
S1: 59
S2: 66
S3: 46 haha hate those patterns :p

HSFY
CELS191: 93
CHEM191: 77 (replace with MAOR102)
HUBS191: 92
PHSI191: 77 (ouch!)

BIOC192: 88
HEAL192: 89
HUBS192: 89
MAOR102: 96 (thank goodness for Maori!)

Top 7 average: 89.14%

Rank score is 79.52 I think. :) (using 34% UMAT, 66% GPA)

Applied for:
Medicine

Feeling pretty worried at the moment, think this would have gotten me in off the waitlist the last couple of years so realllly hoping the cut off doesn't move up too much! Otherwise Plan B --> hopefully postgrad haha :)

I know my results aren't as impressive as the others so far - seriously, all you guys are amaazing and congrats!!! :D still pretty proud of how I improved my average second sem though - here's to working hard and not giving up :)

Also thanks for MSO this year, afraid to say I've been a lurker but it's been such a help and I really appreciate how you guys have helped us HSFYers out throughout the year and answered all our questions - you all deserve lots of chocolate :)

Update
Offered a place in medicine - ACCEPT

Wahooo!!! So stoked!! Congrats to everyone else who got an offer, good luck to those on the waiting list! :D

Last edited:

Cubby

Um wow. These marks are scary. Can I just [MENTION=21119]Pharaoh44[/MENTION] those grades are unbelievable! You must've worked incredibly hard; good on you and congrats! And [MENTION=21193]iMed[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20198]ja7[/MENTION] I hope you're celebrating. Be proud of what you've achieved this year! Like sjlahkgkjvreo;rhhlges;ajgk.

And for everyone who's just lurking here, don't be disheartened by these results. They're by no means average HSFY marks, they're right at the top end.
P.s are any of you guys from Carrington by any chance?

frootloop

Doctor
Hey guys/gals, two quick notes:

1) Forgot to mention this part in my OP, but Cubby has already pointed it out. The average scores posted on MSO are well, well, well in excess of the average scores of the applicant pool at large. Because it's a self-selecting sample, obviously it's usually those with really good marks who are comfortable sharing them. So if you've got scores that aren't as ludicrously high, don't let seeing those scores make you think the cut-off will sky-rocket/dissuade you from posting.

2) This thread is meant as an information-gathering thread, not a discussion one. Obviously there's going to be a few other posts, like rusty's post evaluating peoples' chances, but if we could please keep discussion to the regular HSFY thread that'd be great (otherwise it's going to be a nightmare for people scrolling through this thread later trying to work out scores).

And congrats on the great scores posted so far! You've all done really well, and can be proud of what you've achieved :) Everyone who has posted so far would have received an offer (be it first round or waitlist) in any of the previous 3 years.

Hope you're all enjoying your summers, and good luck/may the force be with you/may the odds be ever in your favour/insert other movie reference here.

Thought I would make an account and post, considering the 2013 scores thread was useful as a gauge of what sort of marks I should have been aiming for this year. (Also lol at the 2015 HSFY students reading this thread and fretting, 'cause that was me 2 months ago)

UMAT (96th):
S2: 60
S3: 67

HSFY:
CHEM191: 90
HUBS191: 89
CELS191: 88
PHSI191: 94

BIOC192: 92
HEAL192: 87 (Thought I did alright in the final; turns out I got rekt)
STAT115: 96

Top 7 average: 91.71%

Rank score: 81.63

Applied for:
Medicine only (offered & accepted)

Last edited:

Leo

Lurker
Hi everybody,

These are my scores: I would really appreciate if someone could check my math, there seems to be multiple ways of working this out there on the big bad internet, and math was never my strong point...

Thanks in advance and good luck for everyone!

UMAT
S1 = 58
S2 = 66
S3 = 52

HUBS = 96
CELS = 94
CHEM = 96
PHSY = 98

HUBS = 94
HEAL = 92
BIOC = 95

Ranking = 83.44 ?? (Someone please check, thanks) (Froot edit: I got 83.66, but maths isn't my strong suit either haha. It doesn't really make a lot of difference, that score should see you straight in :) )

Applied for Physio, Pham, Dent, Med

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Acula

Lurker
UMAT
S1 = 55
S2 = 62
S3 = 60
Weighted UMAT = 58.65 (kind of wish this went better...)

HUBS191 = 95%
CELS191 = 97%
CHEM191 = 99%
PHYS191 = 99%

HUBS192 = 95% (at least I'm consistent)
HEAL192 = 95%
BIOC192 = 97%
CHEM111 = 98% (unconventional eighth replacing one of the 95s)

Average of best 7 = 97.14

Rank score = 84.3 (?)

Applied for medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.

Jess Davies

Omg you guys are like genius's! man makes me tired looking at the scores, its scary that its so high every year but still seems to only increase, goodluck you all deserve a place!!

UMAT:
S2: 56
S3: 63
Overall: 58.05

HSFY:
CHEM191: 84% (replaced by STAT115)
CELS191: 91%
HUBS191: 85%
PHSI191: 90%
STAT115: 96%
HEAL192: 88%
BIOC192: 89%
HUBS192: 93%
HSFY Average: 90.28%

Ranking Score: 79.54

Applied for: Medicine, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy

Just biting my nails now and waiting for first round/waitlist offers to come out. Congrats to everyone on their amazing results and hope everything goes as planned :)

Offers:
Medicine - OFFERED and ACCEPTED
Pharmacy - Offered
Physiotherapy - Offered

Would like to say thanks to everyone on MSO for all the info and help!

Last edited:

Cubby

UMAT: 94th percentile
S3: 47 (oops haha)
Weighted: 67.25

HSFY:
CELS191: 97%
CHEM191: 96%
HUBS191: 96%
PHSI191: 95%

BIOC192: 95%
HEAL192: 91% (replaced by PSYC112)
PSYC112: 97% (Lab Report 1: 90%, Lab Report 2: 97%, TT: 39/40)
HSFY Average: 95.57%

Ranking Score: 86.13

Applied for: Medicine (offered)

A little inspiration for future HSFYers who haven't taken physics before: Neither did I! I didn't do any physics in school or any bridging papers and was quite worried about how it would go for me. But honestly- YOU CAN DO IT! Half of the content is new even to people who did NCEA level 3 physics so there's not really a huge disadvantage there. And if you've done calculus you're pretty much set. I did spend more time on physics than friends who had taken it in school (obviously) but because of this it ended up not even being my worst mark. Just goes to show that a little hard work pays off. Don't let it stop ya!!

And another little side note about 8th papers. I took Psychology despite being told by multiple people that it was not worth the stress, because it was something that interested me. I cannot stress enough that if you take an eight paper you are not interested in just for easy marks, it will not make for a fun semester. Having said that, yes it WAS more work than Maori or Stats, but it made it all the more rewarding. I think they've given out 100% for a lab report once ever (as opposed to the ridiculous number given out in Maori), so it means that if you work hard and get a good mark, you can be really proud of it. I think getting 97% for that second lab report beat getting any 100% in any HSFY terms tests, because I knew how hard it was to even get over 90% for it. Please consider doing a paper you will WANT to study for. (P.s. Maori actually sounded like a really cool paper so if you're interested in it, then by all means go for it!)

Last edited:

Voldemort

Brodemort
Congrats on completing Hell Sci children! You now have a well earned break. Don't study. Study and I Avada Kedavra you.
UMAT:
S2: 60
S3: 67

HSFY:
CHEM191: 90
HUBS191: 89
CELS191: 88
PHSI191: 94

BIOC192: 92
HEAL192: 87 (Thought I did alright in the final; turns out I got rekt)
STAT115: 96

Top 7 average: 91.71%

Rank score: 81.63

Applied for:
Medicine only
My calculation gives a rank score of 81.83. This gives you a shot at a first round offer according to last year's cutoff. Even if the rank score changes however, I think you will be looking at a place off the wait list. Congrats on a solid HSFY!

UMAT
S1 = 55
S2 = 62
S3 = 60
Weighted UMAT = 58.65 (kind of wish this went better...)

HUBS191 = 95%
CELS191 = 97%
CHEM191 = 99%
PHYS191 = 99%

HUBS192 = 95% (at least I'm consistent)
HEAL192 = 95%
BIOC192 = 97%
CHEM111 = 98% (unconventional eighth replacing one of the 95s)

Average of best 7 = 97.14

Rank score = 84.3 (?)

Applied for medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.
Dayyyyyyum brother! What a HSFY! You shouldn't have any problems.

UMAT:
S2: 56
S3: 63
Overall: 58.05

HSFY:
CHEM191: 84% (replaced by STAT115)
CELS191: 91%
HUBS191: 85%
PHSI191: 90%
STAT115: 96%
HEAL192: 88%
BIOC192: 89%
HSFY Average: 90.28%

Ranking Score: 79.54

Applied for: Medicine, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy

Just biting my nails now and waiting for first round/waitlist offers to come out. Congrats to everyone on their amazing results and hope everything goes as planned :)
Gday mate! I agree with your rank score calculations. On last year's rank score, you do stand a chance at a wait list place into Medicine. It would be a good idea to prepare a plan B, and not rely on getting in off the waitlist.
Wish you all the very best for offers, and enjoy the holidays! Please don't spend your break thinking about what might happen. There is nothing that can be changed now and worrying will not do any good. Let it go, and chill out.

UMAT: 94th percentile
S3: 47 (oops haha)
Weighted: 67.25

HSFY:
CELS191: 97%
CHEM191: 96%
HUBS191: 96%
PHSI191: 95%

BIOC192: 95%
HEAL192: 91% (replaced by PSYC112)
PSYC112: 97% (Lab Report 1: 90%, Lab Report 2: 97%, TT: 39/40)
HSFY Average: 95.57%

Ranking Score: 86.13

Applied for: Medicine
O.O Are you sure you are human?
Welcome to Medical School

I'm so proud of all of you! Some very very solid scores out there! Well done!

Last edited:

Hi Voldemort, is the weighting for HSFY/UMAT 66%/34% or two thirds/one third?

EDIT: Oh crap, as I typed your name a bunch of death eaters apparated into my room

rustyedges

Hi Voldemort, is the weighting for HSFY/UMAT 66%/34% or two thirds/one third?

EDIT: Oh crap, as I typed your name a bunch of death eaters apparated into my room

For the sake of consistency, MSO uses two thirds: one third weighting, even though both can be found on the admission website. However it has a very minor effect on rank score, and would probably only affect one or two people, if anyone at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.