Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Accomodation at Monash

ren8

Med camp forms? Is that for the "Compulsory Transition Residential Weekend"? I wasn't aware there were forms that need to be filled out :O

Luxxey

Oh, there was some dietary requirements form. Didn't read properly until now but they're not compulsory--don't worry! My apologies haha.

Also, Phillip Island Adventure Resort. Sounds pretty awesome. :D

Paddyld

Is that the monash version of med camp? I.e. drinking? or is there another thing? Getting pretty exciting- ps- so you might get mannix within a month or two? that'd be perfect..
[OFFTOPIC]Also, what is the closest maccas to Monash uni- I need work and currently work at maccas in Albury so am looking for a transfer before I upgrade to something less sh*tty haha[/OFFTOPIC]

woohoo

Nah this is the faculty run camp where you'll experience your first PCl and first diagnosing problem.
The real medcamp with drinkig what not will happen in about week 5

And closest maccas is on Wellington road about 2 min walk from mannix. Though that intersection is a killer, you can't make it halfway before the lights turn blinking red. Then you're screwed

was just wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if it is too late to apply now? I'm pretty sure applications closed sometime before the New year.....
Yes, some of the universities allow late entries. You can take admission in any of these universities to pay session fees with paying late fees. There are certain Universities, which are very famous among students are in below-Dakin University, Melbourne University, Australian National University.

tiffanysh

Lurker
Hi! Anyone going to Monash MBBS in 2012? I'm an international student, haven't applied to any hall/rusden/mannix. It seems like I won't get a place to stay in time for the start of acad year end February? :/

Kell

Hi! Anyone going to Monash MBBS in 2012? I'm an international student, haven't applied to any hall/rusden/mannix. It seems like I won't get a place to stay in time for the start of acad year end February? :/

Probably too late to apply to Halls/Mannix. Try Rusden. It's not really uni-related accommodation (just really close to monash). It's a bit expensive, you have to pay electricity and no internet.

Calem

Ol' Man River
They said at their MMI in November that there still were spots available in accommodation, but you should move fast - if you don't get it in before domestic offers come out you have no chance.

ching

Anyone living at new Jackomos/Briggs halls, any insight? From what I've read it doesn't sound like it has the best social atmoshpere, but I applied there cause the facilities look real nice, though I'm worried now about the social life. Anyone know about the social life, are there afew meddies there and does cooking your own meals take much time? :)

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I have many friends at Halls, those two defs have the worst social life of the Halls. Having said that, they look pretty awesome and a fair few mates of mine are moving to them next year :)

DrChopper

Probably too late to apply to Halls/Mannix. Try Rusden. It's not really uni-related accommodation (just really close to monash). It's a bit expensive, you have to pay electricity and no internet.
I'm sure it isn't too late actually, my friend last year put his hall residence application in mid Jan last year and still got a place and I personally just sent in my Manix form monday!
Though i'm fairly certain fingers crossed you'r not right!

Xenon Hexafluoride

here comes trouble
I'm sure it isn't too late actually, my friend last year put his hall residence application in mid Jan last year and still got a place and I personally just sent in my Manix form monday!
Though i'm fairly certain fingers crossed you'r not right!

Kell posted that in January this year ;).

But checking on the Mannix website it says that applications don't have a closing date, however, to ensure the best chance of getting a place applications should be in before the end of November.

DrChopper

Kell posted that in January this year ;).

But checking on the Mannix website it says that applications don't have a closing date, however, to ensure the best chance of getting a place applications should be in before the end of November.
Well geez now i feel like a right arse. I only checked the year not the month!
Sincere apologies.

philistine

Anyone living at new Jackomos/Briggs halls, any insight?

From what I have read/seen....they look f**ing awesome. I don't think they would be any less social then other halls. But certainly, for the introverts like myself, the option is there to stay away from others should you wish to (what with having everything except a washing machine in your room!). ..damn they're cool.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
From what I have read/seen....they look f**ing awesome. I don't think they would be any less social then other halls.

They do look awesome, but they are less social (for first years in particular).

I know the second years of next year will have a lot more moving into Briggs/Jackomos so they'll be fine now, but it's usually a more lonely place for non-international first years :p

ching

They do look awesome, but they are less social (for first years in particular).

I know the second years of next year will have a lot more moving into Briggs/Jackomos so they'll be fine now, but it's usually a more lonely place for non-international first years :p

Arh would it be hard making friends/going out for non-international first years there, is Mannix a better option instead?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Arh would it be hard making friends/going out for non-international first years there, is Mannix a better option instead?

Nah, I'd never recommend Mannix, it's not worth the money unless you seriously love drunk parties.

Most of the Halls parties are a bit more tame, but when I say "less social", it's not "bad". You still have loads of mates, it's just that you'd have to take a 5-10 mins walk to get to them instead of a 1 min walk haha. You'd have no trouble making friends as you'd be seeing everyone during the day, plenty of time to make friends there :)

DrChopper

Nah, I'd never recommend Mannix, it's not worth the money unless you seriously love drunk parties.

Most of the Halls parties are a bit more tame, but when I say "less social", it's not "bad". You still have loads of mates, it's just that you'd have to take a 5-10 mins walk to get to them instead of a 1 min walk haha. You'd have no trouble making friends as you'd be seeing everyone during the day, plenty of time to make friends there :)
I haven't actualy dropped in my application yet, i've filled out most of the form though. My first preferences were Deakin and Howitt, because i liked how those names sounded and upon glancing at photographs most of the accommodation places seem to offer similar things. So what's the word on these two?

philistine

I haven't actualy dropped in my application yet, i've filled out most of the form though. My first preferences were Deakin and Howitt, because i liked how those names sounded and upon glancing at photographs most of the accommodation places seem to offer similar things. So what's the word on these two?

I have been reading about both of these on whirlpool (another discussion forum). Funnily enough, these two (of the 'regular halls') have been ID'd as being the most....sensible?. Apparently Deakin Hall attracts international students, namely Muslims (who don't drink) and therefore is the best if you don't want to be woken up in the night by douche bags smacking on doors. Likewise, Howitt also came up.

Howitt looks massive. Bigger then the UTAS school of medicine.
Farrer is the drunk house :p

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1789320

Last edited:

DrChopper

I have been reading about both of these on whirlpool (another discussion forum). Funnily enough, these two (of the 'regular halls') have been ID'd as being the most....sensible?. Apparently Deakin Hall attracts international students, namely Muslims (who don't drink) and therefore is the best if you don't want to be woken up in the night by douche bags smacking on doors. Likewise, Howitt also came up.

Howitt looks massive. Bigger then the UTAS school of medicine.
Farrer is the drunk house :p

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1789320
In that case Farer here I come!

Are you looking to go to one of these places next year [MENTION=13545]philistine[/MENTION]?