1. UMAT 2017 will be held on the 26th July! Good luck to all test takers!

Dismiss Notice

Any effective ways to solve Section 1 question?

Discussion in 'UMAT Question Discussion' started by tod, Jul 15, 2017.

1. tod

tod Member

Hi, so these two were the questions : Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now I for some reason struggle with these math based questions because they are so tedious. They take up so much time to solve so I try to rush them but so far i have only got 1 of them correct. Are there any effective ways to solve questions like this one? The second one was just horrendous

ps: underlined is the solution

2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Moderator

UMATmbassador
    I'm also crap at the tedious maths ones, and usually eliminate, then guess. For the Yahoo! question, I would immediately eliminate a) and c) as we only have a figure for how many 'hits' not how many people (one person could have made 5397436 of those hits for all we know).

To be perfectly honest, I'd then guess (from practice, I know I waste too much time on these), so I'll leave explaining how to get to d) to someone else :)

ETA: would 1000% guess the soccer question!

nire likes this.
  3. tod

tod Member

oh...i didn't even notice that aha. That is true. I try to leave these ones too but its always at the back of my mind so its hard to move on for me...I just got to find easy maths tricks to get these..But you are right about eliminating irrelevant answers. Would save a lot of time. But sometimes its hard to do that when its like "What can you NOT conclude..." type questions

4. Sherlock

Sherlock MSO's very own Cult Hero

For questions like this, I would round off the values to make it easier to work with. You can convert that ~23million to ~25million to make it easier to divide, multiply or add, whatever the case it might be. It is D because, 43% of 76% is 32.68%. You could change the values for e.g., 43 to 45 and 76 to 80 and work from there. 45% of 80 is not very difficult to calculate in your head and it would be about 36. Because 36% is roughly 1/3 of 25million which is around 8million, B is also incorrect. 36% is close to 32% given I've inflated the values above. Which is why I would've gone for D. I don't think there's any easy way out for questions like this. At least this is how I would've done it.

tod, nire and LMG! like this.
  5. tod

tod Member

Thats perhaps the best way to look at it. Thank you I will do that from now on

6. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    We can only discount c) for reason of number of girls. Answer a) is wrong cause 76% males => 24% females and 235xxxx times 24 gives 564xxxx, not 565xxxx. Answer b) wrong cause just under half of 3quarters of 24xxx is about 8xxx, a long way from the numbers in b).

Edit... Oops explanation for a) wrong is not valid. I will need to reword it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    I first got it right but then thought the above explanation was simpler, turned out not so.

We need to calc 24% of that long number 23xxxxx, but if you can hand multiply a 4by1 you can quickly do 4% of the last 4 digits 2874 is 114.96. Multiply by 6 again for 24% = 689.76, it won't match the a) answer ending with 889.

I guess the tip there is a partial calc is at times enough to prove an answer is wrong. In total that problem can be worked out in just over a minute.

8. tod

tod Member

thanks for the reply. I think these suggestions would help a lot cheers