Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2015 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartley

Instead of starting a new thread I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. I am going to apply for FY as a mature student later this year and just wondering what start times classes generally are as I have two children I need to take into consideration.

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Instead of starting a new thread I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. I am going to apply for FY as a mature student later this year and just wondering what start times classes generally are as I have two children I need to take into consideration.

I'm doing FY now. There is a morning stream which has lectures start at 8 am 4 days a week. There is also an afternoon stream which has lectures starting at 12 however you also have to consider labs - the afternoon stream has these in the morning, and I think they tend to start at 8 am as well (not sure though, I am in the morning stream myself.) however, there are no lectures on Wednesdays, so you could probably organise it so you have an afternoon lab each Wednesday and only one morning lab each week. I think in semester 2 it is a bit more chill, with classes/labs starting at 9 am instead.

You have 3 labs and 1 tutorial every fortnight, and it is definitely a good idea to swing it so you only have two each week, otherwise your weeks would alternate between high stress and relaxed - which sucks if your tests fall into the high stress week. Also, I recommend enrolling quickly so you can get a good lab schedule - last week some people had their BIOSCI 107 and CHEM 110 labs on Wednesday, and then immediately had the first POPLHLTH test which is traditionally a pretty stressful test. I really did not envy them!

Oh and a warning in advance - enrol via the Cohort method in the timetable planner. I initially involved through the older, class search method and almost missed out on doing the year after being removed from my semester 2 classes because this was the wrong method. Good luck for getting in! :)

Last edited:

heartley

I'm doing FY now. There is a morning stream which has lectures start at 8 am 4 days a week. There is also an afternoon stream which has lectures starting at 12 however you also have to consider labs - the afternoon stream has these in the morning, and I think they tend to start at 8 am as well (not sure though, I am in the morning stream myself.) however, there are no lectures on Wednesdays, so you could probably organise it so you have an afternoon lab each Wednesday and only one morning lab each week. I think in semester 2 it is a bit more chill, with classes/labs starting at 9 am instead.

You have 3 labs and 1 tutorial every fortnight, and it is definitely a good idea to swing it so you only have two each week, otherwise your weeks would alternate between high stress and relaxed - which sucks if your tests fall into the high stress week. Also, I recommend enrolling quickly so you can get a good lab schedule - last week some people had their BIOSCI 107 and CHEM 110 labs on Wednesday, and then immediately had the first POPLHLTH test which is traditionally a pretty stressful test. I really did not envy them!

Oh and a warning in advance - enrol via the Cohort method in the timetable planner. I initially involved through the older, class search method and almost missed out on doing the year after being removed from my semester 2 classes because this was the wrong method. Good luck for getting in! :)
Thank you so much for your response, it was extremely helpful. I really want to make this work and give it my best shot. I think if the lectures follow the same morn/arvo timetable next year I will definitely be able to manage.

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Not a problem! I would also recommend that you go in with a good base in biology and chemistry, otherwise you might have a bad time. They offer a refresher chemistry course before it starts which is apparently pretty good, and for biology it would be a good idea to get Campbell biology and learn some basic cell biology in advance, as this will make the first few weeks far more relaxed. All depends on how confident you feel with them.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Welcome to MSO, @heartley

I have nothing to add to your question as @robbieg93 has explained well but I have a question or two for you and this is relevant to MSO as a forum.
  • Did you try to use the "search" function at the top right corner prior to posting?
  • If so, was it not easy to find appropriate answers to your question?
The NZ sub-forum is in the process of being 'tidied-up' and I would like to know if information was/was not readily accessible for you :)

Thank you and good luck for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads