1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

Auckland FY BHSc/BSc 2017 Chat

Discussion in 'OLY1' started by Rob, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Blueglacier

Blueglacier :)

Does anyone here know when we can create the "Student Services Online (SSO)" thing? Is it after we've sent in the forms signed by the Justice of Peace?

2. Kiwiology

Kiwiology UOA FY BHSc 2017

SSO is the UOA online portal thing for anything not related to teaching content, for teaching content we use Canvas.

If you have already applied online you should have received a username made up of the first letter of your first name and the first three letters of your last name plus three numbers. For example if your name was Blue Glacier it might be bgla123. I don't remember when exactly you get that, whether it's after you are enrolled or when you apply to enrol. You will also get a student ID number too.

UOA stopped referring to "UPI" and "NetID" last year I think; those are old terms for your username.

Once you are accepted into either the BHSc or BSc (Biomedical Science) you can then sign into SSO and set up your class timetable, pay your fees etc. It is only August so there is no hurry for this to happen, but don't leave it until a week before uni starts!

If you've sent in everything to apply then just chill and wait to get your offer, but that probably won't be for a few months; I don't think I got mine until early in the year. In practical reality, it doesn't matter anyway, you come to no harm or favour by not having it now sort of thing.

3. Blueglacier

Got all the usernames and ID number(I think). How am I accepted into the degrees for next year? Is it when our NCEA results come out? Because some one else said they enrolled in their classes for next year in November

4. Kiwiology

I honestly don't know but would presume it is once NCEA results come out, yes.

You get an email telling you there is an offer waiting, you click the link and accept it, then you can go onto SSO and enrol in classes.

Blueglacier likes this.
  5. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

I am fairly sure you need to wait for the results to come out in January or something unless you have already met the scores/UE for the course.

6. Blueglacier

Jastek or someone here said they enrolled in November.

7. Jastek01

Jastek01 Member

Yup, I applied but only got accepted when NCEA results came out. Had no idea what SSO was when I applied so no need to worry :)

Edit: I realised enrolled sounds like i got accepted, my bad.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM
  8. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

If they are an average highschool student in NZ. I doubt that is the case. It's only August.

9. Kiwiology

Regardless of whether it is November or January ... it doesn't matter, it won't make any difference to you. Just don't leave it until the week before uni starts cos you'll be left with the dregs of options for timetable!

Plus you guys will get the new SSO (launches tomorrow) which is oooh, flash, not the clunky old one we've been using.

10. orilu

orilu Member

As a 3rd year and ex-OLY1 Biomedder, reading this entire thread really brought back memories (both good and bad haha).

I just wanted to say that everybody should be super proud of themselves for making it this far - finishing semester 1 & UMAT is no easy feat! Keep up the hard work - the rest of the year will whirl by (mostly because Medsci is super interesting!)

As for dispelling some of the rumours, I'm someone who got in via general entry with an average core GPA (8.25) and an average UMAT (I can't even remember what I got - think it was low 70?). I have many friends in my cohort who were also accepted through the general entry with GPAs of around 7.75 and a very good friend of mine had a UMAT of <20% so please don't give up! This also goes to show that the MMI can also really help in lifting your overall application.

It's a tough year but if you believe in yourself you can do it :)

11. Kiwiology

We had Dr Tony Fernando on Tuesday for our HP 122 lecture; he is so awesome; really funny guy; and a bit controversial; I'd pay cash money to go to his lectures even if I wasn't doing the program he was lecturing.

Apart from that, jeez, these BHSc non-core sem 2 papers are leaving a bit to be desired eh, not even fake news. POP 102 feels like a slow motion plane wreck (Rob McNeil is interesting but the coordination/assignments are really bad and have so much covfefe) ... HP 122 is mildly interesting but the lecturers are so dull I think I might stop going; the lecturer is pretty sleep inducing and hard to get up at 6 am for what it essentially repeating the textbook and we already get the slides the night before. I am liking my gen ed (NZ politics) because it is interesting and especially relevant with our large national tri-annual theatrical event where one gets to participate in the illusion of freedom of choice in electing representatives coming up.

Y'all should def check out the NZMSA Facebook page; they have a recording of their health election debate between some reps of the major parties; it's only an hour or so long but looks bloody good.

Can't wait for the break; good chance to do some catch up for non-cores, smash revision for Medsci, work on assignments and do those all important applications for next year. All I can say is thank heavens I am eligible for two of the three preferential entry pathways for MBChB and BPharm.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM
  12. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

Hi! I'm currently a Year 13 high school student who fits under the RRAS scheme for Auckland but not Otago. I wanted some advice about where I should go? I did NCEA Level 3 one year early so I already have UE and have been offered a place in Auckland biomed and health science, and Otago hsfy. I'm really conflicted about where to go - literally everyone from my school is going to Otago because of the cheaper living expense and general atmosphere (and the city is beautiful!!), but I've heard that RRAS gives you an advantage? I'm not sure how much of an advantage I would get because I don't think I would do very well in the interview (which Otago doesn't have, which is an advantage) so could I please have some guidance on what uni I should apply to? And if you think I should go for Auckland, should I do biomed or health science?

Also, I know high school is a lot different from university but with these grades do you think I could at least have some sort of a chance? I understand that it's all dependent on my own hard work, but if I could get someone's professional judgement it would be great. I have no idea what I will do after first year if I don't get in so I'm a bit unsure if I should pursue med:

Level 2 - 158 Excellence credits out of 170
    Level 3 - 92 Excelence credits out of 130 (I will get more Level 3 credits when I sit external examinations this year in November)

I'm doing a philosophy paper this year as well through university of Canterbury which I got A+ on (but I imagine the biomed papers would be more difficult than philosophy)

13. Kiwiology

RRAS gives you such a significant advantage it is beyond words; literally in the last four years students achieving a bit above the minimum requirement of a B+ average have gained entry; in 2013 this was 'B+ and three-quarters' average (6.75), in 2014/15 a B+ average (6.0), and in 2016 a 'B+ and a half' average (6.5). In 2015 only 45 of the 52 RRAS seats were filled (objectively verified) and this is apparently a routine phenomenon. If you are "good enough" to get in anyway and apply RRAS, you get a general seat so you can rest assured even if you get in via general and apply to RRAS you don't disadvantage an RRAS applicant who desperately needs the hand up (i.e. me ....)

Either/or to be honest; personal bias is you should do the BHSc because it gives you a better grounding in the non-science aspects of health/illness but this does involve writing some assignments (approximately five; two in Sem 1 and three in Sem 2) however you have the advantage of not having labs for BIO 106 and PHYS 160.

I don't think anybody will be able to tell you; high school and uni are so fundamentally different as to almost be night and day, plus I left school fifteen years ago and have no idea what your results even mean!

If you study smart and consistently, the results should follow ...

Good on you for getting an A+ in uni level paper in Year 13 but yeah, the FY papers are probs a bit harder eh.

14. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

Thank you!! This was really helpful! Just wordering, how many people applied under the RRAS scheme last year? Because graduates can apply as well right?

15. Kiwiology

Yes, graduates can apply via RRAS too; and I don't know how many applied, the point is, it doesn't matter, they only filled 45 of the 52 seats, so this means every single person who applied via RRAS was accepted because there were 7 seats left over. Presumably, a number of people were "offered-up" a general seat and not an RRAS seat because their overall score (GPA+UMAT+Interview) was "good enough" they would have been accepted anyway.

I want to make it very clear, in the strongest possible language, being eligible for a preferred entry program is a "pass to sit on your ass" and not study hard, because well, that's just useless and lazy, and you just never know what might happen, your year might just be the year you were #53 on the list. One of my lecturers was literally the last person on the 1996 MBChB waiting list ... poor bloke.

And don't worry about the interview/MMI; plenty of people here to help you out.

16. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

Thank you again! Yup I understand that there were 7 seats left over, but isn't it possible for enough candidates with a GPA above 6.0 to apply, but their calibre just isn't high enough (even with the help of RRAS)? So even if there were enough applicants, UoA decided to not give them spare seats because their overall performance wasn't good enough?

17. Pump

Pump Regular Member

Why don't you think you would do well in the interview? I'm seriously confused about why people lean towards discounting Auckland simply because there's an interview. Now I'm not sure which studies may or may not show this but it's my personal opinion that an interview process is absolutely fundamental to medical school. To me, it's kinda worrying that Otago places so much emphasis on UMAT, a seemingly abstract test which you have to pay ~250 to sit where scores can vary year to year, compared to Auckland which places little value on UMAT and more on human to human interactions ... which is part of your job in medicine. Doesn't it concern you that people are getting into medicine purely based on grades + UMAT?

I apologize for the mini rant but I'm not sure why something that is barely more than a 6 minute conversation should deter you from going to Auckland.

Personal bias but biomed. Both are sciences but biomed is more the traditional sciences - physics, chemistry, biology. HSc is much more new edge science that you might not be as familiar with. That's why I thought HSc would be much harder.

Majority of FY are biomed. Yeah 106 and 160 have labs but they're pretty easy and nothing a little teamwork can't solve

Agree with Kiwiology. Work hard, results should follow.

I did NCEA as well and had similar credits but it means diddly squat in university. NCEA/CIE/IB is mainly just good for getting into the programme you want. I know people who had really good grades in high school and did really well in university, people who had good grades in high school and did average at uni, people who had good grades in high school and did shit. And of course, the other way round, people who had average grades in high school but excelled at university, etc. etc. End of the day - it's what you do and the effort you put in that counts.

Yup. I don't believe the university just whimsically gives out seats just because there's seats to fill.

18. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

Thank you this was super helpful! Yes I see your point about the interview and I agree that it's super important for medicine, I think I'm just nervous about it because it's unlike anything I've ever done before (the MMI format)

19. Kiwiology

Auckland might have some MMI "do not select" criteria vis-a-vis the "automatic fail" which existed with the traditional linear interview but no mention of this has ever been made anywhere either in public information or in faculty articles of the NZMJ so this is very doubtful. I mean, if you rocked up and said, "look, I just really f%*|(ing hate black people" or something, um, yeah .... not so good. The point of the MMI is to be more objective than a simple, linear interview.

The "calibre" used for selection, as publicly stated on the MBChB entry web page, is GPA, UMAT and interview. Having spare seats left over means either enough people applied and were "selected up" to a general seat cos their overall rank score was good enough they'd have "gotten in anyway" without RRAS, or they just didn't get the applicants, or more likely, some combination of both.

After all, why would they have spare seats in what is otherwise a brutally competitive program? (nb, they're not really 'spare', they are given to general pool applicants, all places in the medical program are filled as there is a small number of people who are waitlisted but do not get an offer off the wait list each year).

Again, in the strongest possible signal, being eligible for RRAS, MAPAS and/or UTAS is not an excuse to slack off; those of us eligible for one of more of these programs have almost, it seems, literally been given some sort of golden ticket which makes Charlie's invitation to go visit Wonka look like a candy bar wrapper somebody took a good, long, urobilinic micturition on!

20. Pump

Pump Regular Member

Trust me, there are a lot of us that are or were in the same position! I had definitely never done MMI in a proper format before my interview