1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

Auckland FY BHSc/BSc 2017 Chat

Discussion in 'OLY1' started by Rob, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

Well there you go ... can honestly say I've never been told that; and as for what I got told in high school and first-year uni, god that was so long ago (like literally almost 16 years and ten years respectively) I can't remember.

I had some horrid nightmare the other night I only got 50% in the bloody test, now obviously that's not going to happen but ugh, the terror of seeing that damn kinetics question, like the ONE question I just couldn't get my head around how to do, it was just ... the terror, like worst, terrible, most terror ever, not even fake news.

Been revising bloody embryology all week (and sleeping til lunchtime) ... ugh, embryology is ratshit ... interesting but ugh, the detail.

Need to give POP 111 some love too ... butter might help.

If any lurkers want to study next week hit me up.

2. Stuart

Stuart NZ Subforum Archivist NZ Subforum Archivist

Hi,

I can't remember if it's against the rule to write notes etc on exam papers but you should certainly avoid communicating with the examiners. They certainly won't listen if you requested something. They could easily look at it as an attempt to violate some serious rules.

I once wrote down some questions/wrote notes to myself. That almost ended badly.

3. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

No more two-mark MCQs for BIO 107 this year; we now have two hours to complete 100 one mark questions.

4. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

CHEM results are out. I got exactly what I expected, 85/100 so while good for some hack who just taught himself some chem over summer, I'd have liked to do better.

Dr Chem110 (Kaitlin Beare) herself said in the email "[we] can expect Test 2 to be a solid step up from here, and the exam another step up again so this is no time to get complacent."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  5. Rob

Rob Auckland MBChB II Moderator

Most people I know got a similar mark in test 2, some did a fair bit better - just learn all of the reactions and mechanisms really well! The exam has slightly trickier questions but far less time pressure so it balances out pretty well.

Congrats on the mark! 85 is a great score.

6. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

I've edited your post, Kiwiology. Fentanyl abuse jokes aren't 'funny' from someone trying to gain entry into a profession which not infrequently loses members to the stuff.

katwoman and Pump like this.
  7. Pump

Pump Regular Member

8. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

So I legit had a giant panic/stress/anxiety/freak-out thing last night.

I'm just annoyed at myself because I wanted to be up bright and early these holidays and studying all day and um yeah if I was up before lunchtime it was a miracle. This upcoming Bio test is like ugh ... just want it to be over with, partic embryology, so much obscure detail that my brain doesn't like and it's easy to get all "but but but it's 36% and omg to get 90% overall that means I need ... and ... but ... what if ... and labs ... and then chem ... and then pop 111 ... and then ..." and just ends up like a bad ferris wheel going round and round.

Well, less time for moaning on the internet, time for more ..... studying.

9. katwoman

katwoman Member

Is the 'probability of getting into med' chart on Justin's Tutoring website accurate? I understand from the 'disclaimer' that it's a rough estimate from 400 students out of about 1890 (ie 400 students from yrs 2011-2017) but it has still absolutely terrified me, and seeing as I'm already suffering from incredibly high permanent levels of stress that is not a good thing.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. frootloop

The numbers you give sound pretty weird to me (for starters, Auckland's class size is like 250-300ish, not 400). But essentially, I can't imagine your odds as a first-year applicant at Auckland are that different than for Otago's HSFYs, so around the 10% mark.

Worrying about the exact number of places and applicants won't help you, though. Get your A+s, because they're the only factor really under your control - and conveniently they're the most important factor.

11. Pump

Pump Regular Member

Personally recommend that you stay away from Justin's tutoring stuff. He over-complicates it and over-prepares (the latter can be good) but there's also a lot of scare-mongering tactics going on. Dodgy stuff.

12. Pump

Pump Regular Member

Debunking that probability chart https://justinthetutor.com/free/#iLightbox[6d18d5003fb17825d62]/0:

- nothing is guaranteed
    - From what I understand, you're only informed of your interview score IF you are NOT successful. I highly doubt that this axis was drawn from any real data because he wouldn't have access to it.
    - he has arbitarily assigned "probabilities" I.e. "High change" or "average change" etc. etc. based on his own experiences and what he's garnered from his classes (which introduces bias in itself actually).

The only real probability that we can somewhat assume is that if 1000 people apply for medicine (although if you consider people who actually get interviews, the numbers closer down to 800), ~100 will get in from the general category (i.e. not including RRAS, MAPAS or post-grads) so ~10%.

13. 1997

1997 Member

Justin's chart tells you nothing new - you know that if you get a good GPA and interview well, you will have a good chance of getting into medicine.

When you do your interview, you can't 'aim for a score'. You may think you answered well, but you scored poorly, or vice versa. So it's pointless 'aiming' for an interview score - you should just focus on getting out the best answer you can.

No one actually needs the extra tutoring help. I've seen people use it when they actually didn't need to use it. They're just insecure, and feel like they need to cover every corner of their study.

14. frootloop

I don't know if that's entirely fair. While most of first year content isn't conceptually difficult, there's some stuff which can be a bit tricky for people who either didn't do (or do well in) those subjects at school or have been out of school for a while. Personally I needed tutoring for physics (although I know that isn't one of your core papers) back in first year to wrap my head around a lot of it after failing it in year 13.

I agree that a lot of people are frightened into spending money on tutoring they don't need. But equally, people shouldn't feel bad if they do need to get a bit of extra help in some subjects to get the crazy grades you need for med.

15. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

Pragmatically, you have quite a good chance if you have a core GPA of > 8 .0 and a reasonable UMAT, i.e. not 30% or something. Every other year or so it seems somebody with a core GPA of 7.5 or so gets in as well. Apparently, I have heard somebody with a GPA of <7 getting in through MAPAS!

From what a group of us were discussing today re MMI; yes, some curly questions in there, but as I have said again on here before, it's not a "job interview"-esqe interview, there are no "right" or "wrong" answers (well, broadly anyway) and if you show a bit of spark and some research and ability to think you know, and not be a dribbling psycho or a complete sociopathic jerk then you should get in.

I had a massive freak out the other night too, don't worry about it, just do your best and you should be sweet.

See you tomorrow.

16. 1997

1997 Member

Biomed papers (especially first year) have good support available (office hours, meeting with lecturers, etc.)
    I know people who had needed the extra help, and approached these lecturers individually. That solved their problems.

The problem with the tutoring companies is that they're not the best for the extra help people need. They're aimed at people who are already getting As but need A+s. They don't teach things from different perspectives, which is what certain people need to understand something. They regurgitate what is said in the lectures, it's the same thing just spoken by different people.

At uni, prioritisation is key. In high school, you may think you have all the time in the world to finish everything. But at uni, you can't finish everything - you have to say to yourself, "ok i've got an hour to study today, whats the best use of my time for that hour?'. In my opinion it isn't going to sit in a tutoring class.

Kiwiology likes this.
  17. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

Bio 107 test tomorrow night ... been studying my bottom off. So many people on Piazza are having breakdowns and stress attacks and giving up hope, like some people have literally said they want to have a mental breakdown. Some have even said they're withdrawing. I feel kinda bad for them.

I just hope we don't get anything too crazy. Mel Collings was Dr. Queen of Crazy Questions and since she's gone, let's hope Eileen is a bit more subdued. Although to be fair I didn't find the practice questions of hers we got too crazy, one or two maybe.

I have my ester hydrolysis lab for Chem tomorrow, B-lergh with a capital B. Up at 6 am and not home until 9 pm at the latest ... hey, they should just call this "House Surgeon 'long day' experience" bwahaha ...

18. 1997

1997 Member

You don't have to go to the lectures - if you feel like you are going to be too tired, you can go back to the recording. Make sure you have a quick nap in between your lab and the test, and all the best! Every year 107 is the one that stresses everyone out because of the (ridiculous) amount of detail you need to learn.

19. Kiwiology

Kiwiology Regular Member

Just dispatched with Bio 107 mid-sem test ... might reasonably get 90, bit more maybe, might get 88 ... not bad I say, not bad at all.

Now it is time for the adding of pizza to soda while studying for tomorrow.

Acids and bases ... shoot me, but John Frasier (Dean of Medical School) is teaching Blood and Immune and really looking forward to it. Go erythrocytes!

20. Pump

Pump Regular Member

Is there any particular reason why you predict your mark publicly like this? Just out of my own curiosity.