Best pathway for becoming a nurse??

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Voltman.N, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Voltman.N

Voltman.N Member

hey guys,

just trying to figure out what to do this year...

i'm thinking of becoming a nurse one day but which pathway do you guys reckon is better?

the diploma in nursing pathway (division 2) or the bachelors degree pathway (division 1)?

According to this youtube video, university is not always the best alternative of available options so I am definitely considering tafe even though I have already received an offer at a university to study a bachelor of nursing.

which pathway has better employment prospects after graduation and which pathway is cheaper and more time efficient?

if you want to be a RN (division 1) what are the benefits in doing your diploma first and then going to uni to become an RN (division 1)?

Is there midyear entry typically for the diploma in nursing?

If you were me which pathway would you go through and why?

I am currently in my last semester of a bachelor of commerce degree but not that eager to look for work in my field.

anyway,...any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,
    Voltman.N

2. Mana

Mana Intern (UNDS MBBS) Administrator

Junior Medical Officer
    I would recommend that you do the bachelor's degree rather than the diploma. If being a nurse is what you really want, it'll save you time in the long run (RN's are allowed to do a fair bit more than ENs).

Voltman.N likes this.
  3. Voltman.N

Voltman.N Member

Hi Mana, thanks for the reply. Though one of the dilemmas I'll be having is that if I go through the bachelors pathway I won't have any relevant work while doing my course. I have been hearing around that it's helpful in securing a graduate position to have relevant work while studying. I thought if I did the diploma and then uni, it might help me to get a relevant job after the diploma of nursing as a division 2 nurse while doing my bachelors degree part-time and working full-time to earn my division 1 title.

I'm afraid if I go down the uni pathway that I'll end up with a degree but no job in the end due to not having enough relevant working experience while doing my bachelors degree.

Does anyone here know whether it's easier to obtain a division 2 nursing job after completing the diploma pathway or whether it's easier to obtain a division 1 nursing job after going through the 3 year bachelors uni pathway?

4. Sea Sponge

Sea Sponge Member

I thought that if you do a diploma that you could progress to doing a bachelors afterwards (so essentially an EN -> RN) with a guaranteed pathway. It's probably best to ask your local TAFE/University if they have that option but it might take a bit longer to actually be an RN.

5. LBoG

LBoG BMedSci/MD-JMP I UoN

This is a very old post but I thought I'd chime in for anyone else in this situation who is unsure. As far as I know (have completed one year of a Bachelor of Nursing), once you've completed a year of the BNursing you can be employed as an AIN, thus you have the opportunity to gain relevant work experience while already 1/3rd of the way through your RN qualification.

Also, there are a certain number (I think a majority but I'm not sure on that) of guaranteed jobs upon graduation. The more rural you're willing to go, the more of a guarantee you'll receive a graduate position, however even those not willing to go rural have a good chance of entering into a graduate-entry nursing position upon completing their BNursing.