Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

California to secede from the US?

frootloop

Doctor
So we all know about Brexit and the other possible national exits from the European Union. But now it looks like the same mood may be hitting the U.S., as a serious movement in favor of California breaking from the Union looks to be gaining traction Breaking: California Secession To Be Allowed On 2018 Ballot | The Intellectualist

Thoughts?
Personally I think it's pretty unlikely to happen - U.S. national pride is probably too strong at the moment to get 55% of Californians to call for a split - but it's interesting that the movement has even gotten this much attention. I suppose if any state would be disenchanted with U.S. politics at the moment, it'd be the heavily Democrat-leaning California. Would be a very different world indeed if not only the E.U., but also the U.S. begins to fall apart...

I don't think there would be any political or economical incentive driving this.. it will never happen and is most likely just due to the contrast between the state being highly socially liberal and opposing the recent election result. It will never happen

sht

It's pretty confounding logic - we are much more open and diverse-friendly than the other states so lets create a border between them and us. And the difference in political ideals is mainly due to the fact that the major cities are locations for a couple of wealth-making industries - people from other states (and, crucially, the universities of other states) are needed to participate. The idea sounds oddly self-defeating and hypocritically xenophobic.

Idiots.

frootloop

Doctor
Does the creation of an extra boarder by seceding from an institutionally bigoted nation increase their own chances to be open and fair, though?

They wouldn't necessarily have to have a closed boarder with the U.S. - if they could come to an arrangement like the E.U. where they'd be boardering nations with freedom of movement etc.

I can see where you're coming from, but it could also be seen as an opportunity to advance while keeping positive relations and freedom of movement, and (if they did it well) it could serve to motivate the rest of the U.S. to drag their thinking forward a little.

ETA: The practical beginnings of a rift between California and the rest of the U.S. could happen a lot quicker if they decide to stop paying federal taxes... California Just Threatened To Stop Paying Taxes If Trump Cuts Federal Funding Over Sanctuary City Status

Last edited:

sht

They wouldn't necessarily have to have a closed boarder with the U.S. - if they could come to an arrangement like the E.U. where they'd be boardering nations with freedom of movement etc.

I can see where you're coming from, but it could also be seen as an opportunity to advance while keeping positive relations and freedom of movement, and (if they did it well) it could serve to motivate the rest of the U.S. to drag their thinking forward a little.
Well, the EU, in reality, was conceived to maintain peace between markedly different countries living on top of each other. The EU wasn't necessary for simple relations like trade. In the case of the US and California, the differences basically reduce down to ideas of social liberalism/conservatism. This is an insane reason for breaking up a country and, frankly, is facile virtue signalling from (I suspect) a tiny, but loud, minority. If this makes sense then greater London should declare independence from the UK too.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads