1. UAC and VTAC first round offers have been released! Please do this short, 2 minute survey to help us collect data about cutoffs - best of luck to all! MSO UAC/VTAC Survey here For those who haven't yet filled in our SATAC/TISC survey it is still available here
    Dismiss Notice

Chemical Engineering to Pharmacy to Medicine?

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by joujou8, Jan 11, 2017.

1. joujou8

joujou8 New Member

Hey guys,

New here. I'm not a medical student yet but I do hope to be. After year 12 I went on to study a Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Honours) in the hope that I could eventually work with Engineers Without Borders in which I would be able to use my engineering knowledge to solve third world problems. However towards the end of my degree, I became greatly interested in chemistry and pharmaceuticals and I still wanted to help people so naturally I thought of Pharmacy. I was just accepted into Pharmacy School for this year but am starting to think maybe I would like to become a doctor. Since last year I have been volunteering at the hospital - and seeing all that doctors do was so inspiring and I just felt this energy and drive to want to be a doctor. I don't know how to explain it but I just has this rush and feeling that I could do that and that I could help people in such a large way.

I feel so lost and don't know what I'm doing, as I was set on Pharmacy - particularly Compound Pharmacy but maybe medicine is my calling? Has anyone here come from an engineering background? Or a Pharmacy background? Any advice is great!

Julie

2. faysapprentice

faysapprentice Member

I work dispensary in a pharmacy right now and my pharmacist says a lot of people do pharmacy to try and get into grad medicine and even one of my co workers who is a 3rd year bpharm student wants to do gamsat to get into med so I dont think you'd be alone at all with a pharmacy background

joujou8 likes this.
  3. Mana

Mana a medical degree is the best UMAT preparation Administrator

Junior Medical Officer
    Can confirm that a small but significant proportion of my cohort in graduate medicine were pharmacists.

joujou8 likes this.
  4. heart

heart Member

How good were your grades for your engineering degree as that will determine your gpa. If you have a high gpa and wanna do medicine sit the gamsat no point doing the pharmacy degree if you want to do medicine.

Myst likes this.
  5. Mana

Junior Medical Officer
    Pretty much this - if you want to do medicine why not just apply?

6. heart

heart Member

I forgot to mention there is also a medical specialty called clinical pharmacology seems like the perfect position you are after. Advanced Training in clinical pharmacology
    First goal of course should be to get into medical school as I said before.

7. joujou8

joujou8 New Member

Hey thanks guys for replying, but GPA was decent but not amazing - 3.1 on a 4.0 scale.

8. Mana

Junior Medical Officer
    Then my advice is to assume the hypothetical scenario that you will never get into medicine, do what you would do if you didn't (which may be pharmacy for you), do that degree (making note to get as high a GPA as you can for grad entry), and then, if near completion, you still want to do medicine, take the GAMSAT and give it a shot.

While there may be other suggestions that you also sit the UMAT each year and apply for undergraduate entry, in this case it would be very hard for you to apply using that GPA to undergraduate schools, and if you have a completed degree, they will tend to use the marks from that over a more recent but incomplete degree.

9. LBoG

LBoG BMedSci/MD-JMP UoN I

This is a distinction average, isn't it? In this case, you could apply to undergrad medicine at UTAS (though GPA may not be super competitive here), WSU and JMP (UoN/UNE) - GPA is threshold only at both of these, and a distinction average for a completed degree is over the threshold. You could try JCU but your GPA likely wouldn't cut it.

Entrance to these universities would be dependent on sitting UMAT and your subsequent scores. See this table for minimum UMAT requirements: [Undergrad] - 2016-17 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards | Med Students Online