Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU's applicant consideration process

Hey everyone :D Just have a question about how CSU applications are considered.

Firstly, is the GPA of an applicant simply a hurdle to make it on the list of applications to be read by Professor Wilson?

While the success in being offered an interview is significantly dependent on their work experience and the handwritten response to the Professor/Head of School?

Last edited:
Also, does being a resident of a city area decrease my chances of being accepted? I heard that CSU looks more favourably upon rural applicants o_O

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
[MENTION=10872]mighty[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6084]Hutcherson[/MENTION] could answer this for you :)

the cat

Hutcherson or Mighty can probably answer this question better than me (as I'm only in 1st year), but I'll give you what I think anyway.
GPA is considered very highly in the selection process at CSU from the start to the end.
You would have to satisfy the GPA cut off for your application to be considered first of all.
Your written application (including work experience) and GPA would then be considered for an interview. An excellent written application and a high GPA would see you in for an interview. Last year there were over 1000 applications, and only 100 got selected for an interview (as normal).
Your interview score + your written application score would be used to determine if you have earned yourself at place at CSU.
I would give 102% effort in all 3 criteria! Goodluck with everything!

the cat

CSU does look more favourably upon rural applicants.
However, more than half my classmates are from the city as well (myself included). It all depends on how well you perform in the 3 criteria: GPA, written application and interview.
The written application and interview will be able to draw out how much you know about oral health/issues in rural areas and how you can benefit the rural community if you were to be chosen. HTH!

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I definitely agree with [MENTION=12727]the cat[/MENTION] , you need to make sure you do your best all three criteria to be considered :) higher the GPA the better

mighty

A lot of people in my class are from the city. I would say about 10-15 people are classified as rural. I think, as the aim of the course is encourage more graduates to work rurally, that a rural background is beneficial but it certainly doesn't preclude you from getting a spot in the course by any means.

Your written application is very important as it is a key factor in deciding your interview offer - remember there are over 1000 applicants each year and you have to write a pretty stellar application to be considered. Don't regurgitate generic or cheesy answers like "I love teeth" or "I love helping people so I want to be a dentist". They have seen that a million times before and those kinds of answers don't show that you've put effort into your app. Make your application original, and if you really want to get in do above and beyond. Do your research on the course, what it means to be a dental professional and really demonstrate in your application that you've indeed done that research and respond thoughtfully and be insightful in your answer. Don't waffle, get to the point, but be original.

And of course as has been mentioned the higher your GPA the better. I would aim for 6+ (5 being the bare minimum). Don't fret if you don't get there though, there are people who've gotten in with less.

All the best with your app. :)

[offtopic]Wow, my advice for the app sounded creepily similar to what I got told when I was writing essays for English... [/offtopic]

Thanks miss_universe for notifying the others about my post :)

And thanks for the info the cat, Hutcherson and mighty :D

Cheers, mighty. I plan to submit my application next year. Hope to increase my GPA and study at CSU in 2015!

sean1111

hi everyoneIt seems that there is no app this year. And i have got the notification for interview as international.does this mean offers will be determined on interview score only?and by the way, does anyone has an idea about how many internationals are being interviewed?any info is appreciated.thankssean

HotIce

yeah no application this year. Quite confusing as this changes the whole game now. Don't know if that means more weight on the interview or GPA or both. I just don't get how they will select people for interview now. Maybe based on looks as we have to attach a pic :p