Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dental Students! What do YOU want?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hello fellow students of dental profession.

Firstly, congrats if you are starting in 1st year! You made it. And welcome back to another hard year of gruelling work and study everyone else!

This thread is designed for you guys to tell us (MSO staff) what YOU want out of MSO during your years as a student.
Whether it be a guide to putting on rubber dam (only dental students get this) or the 10 best ways to help a patient reduce their caries risk, we want you guys to contribute to build MSO into a useful resource throughout your years as a student.

So don't be shy and suggest some things and we can get to it and give you the best possible article we can produce. Older students may lend out a hand for the younger ones by suggesting important topics that are covered in the pre-clinical years, so they can get ahead!

Finally, we ALWAYS welcome people who want to help out, and contribute their experiences and knowledge.

Thanks guys, and get posting!

muse.

As a side note: Any advice or help given within these articles are designed to give you a second opinion, and you should always consult your school or tutor first.

Last edited:

bobby190

Some things I would want out of MSO is

-A support network (i.e. I failed this test should I be worried or is it going to affect my next year/job)
-Place to clear up doubts about the course & what happens after
-Wouldnt mind some pre-done assignments lol
-An idea which parts we learn we directly use in dentistry ( yes to micro but not to anatomy or if we need to know to make a denture)
-Is making small talk with patient awkward?
-Do we really speak to patients all the time when have a gazillion tools in their mouth?

These are just a few things that came to me and MSO already ticks the box for many anyway. Im sure as I progress into dentistry I will find appropriate threads to ask my questions.

Sony

-Do we really speak to patients all the time when have a gazillion tools in their mouth?

I really HATE it when my dentist does that to me.. and he actually pauses for a response with all these tools in my mouth too.
Seriously, how the hell are you supposed to respond? lol

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Ok, I will make some clinical guides to hopefully address some of those things, though I feel most of them are really blog type entries which replies of the bloggers experience (and I am not the blogger kinda girl).

I will do my best to make a support network (but we need you to stay for that!) and talk to Shizzy about the need a subforum for asking questions and other stuff.

Keep it coming guys!

mighty

I think we should encourage people to use and contribute to the Dental Question Bank Thread. I'll try my best to contribute to it this year. Given we have a few more dent regulars this year (stay around, don't leave! :p) it'll hopefully be built into a good resource in a few years' time. :)

I think it would also be good to have a thread for asking dent related questions ie. somewhere to ask for help on theory (or clinical) you're unsure of and need clarification on, or just homework/assignment/practice exam questions that people need some help with?

Maybe we could set up a similar subform to Assignment Help - Med Students Online specifically for dent.

monkey magic

It would be good if there was a guide to new technology and techniques for procedures i.e. video links to procedures etc... I think it would help keep people current and allow exchange of information/skills.

Everybody seems to have different ways of doing things so it would be nice to bring it all together and have a forum for people to discuss things they are having problems with.

Maybe this idea is similar to the question bank thread and requests for research articles.

A course comparison guide with a number of set critera would also be useful, I'm not sure if all of this already exists.

Also advertising in first year orientations might help to pick up membership and increase forum traffic, nothing special just a representative each uni could give a 5 minute presentation on the forum and sections, how it can help with studies etc....

The MSO dent forum is a little slow to respond sometimes and I think it might be because it is a med based forum so people would not automatically assume dentistry has a forum here.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
lol thanks for the insight. I will make a plan and I hope you can help me proceed with it through!

The problems we have is not a lot of senior dental staff here (hutch, mighty and myself are holding it up) and no offense to mighty, it's a little hard to get the more useful info here as hutch and I are really the only experienced ones that stay around enough. Also, we dont have many regulars from each dental school so its hard to get info from a lot of sources.

I will do my best to get articles up here that I am confident writing about and I predict that will be more within the next year or so.

monkey magic

I've noticed you guys seem to reply a lot which is good as you seem to know what is what. Thanks for the effort it makes this a good forum to visit. Sometimes I think my opinions are a bit out there so I don't think I would make a very good representative for anything but I would like contribute something to help build a good knowledge base for students here.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Ok, I will try to make a plan for the dent subgroup and I would if you could be involved. Stick around!!

l2009

I'm happy to help in whatever capacity. I don't think I'd really consider myself a regular, but I do reply somewhat often, particularly in the Griffith dent subforum.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I'm happy to help in whatever capacity. I don't think I'd really consider myself a regular, but I do reply somewhat often, particularly in the Griffith dent subforum.

Yes, thanks so much! I had you in mind but I didn't want to assume/ decide myself that you would help :3

Rickthetrick

Also glad to help out as much as I can. :) Although, I'm not sure I'd be incredibly helpful though since my course doesn't exist anymore. -.-

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Also glad to help out as much as I can. :) Although, I'm not sure I'd be incredibly helpful though since my course doesn't exist anymore. -.-

EVen just clinical stuff could be useful. We could have discussion about techniques etc and both your and l2009's clinical knowledge would be invaluable.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I want a new sim lab :p state of the arch and not just any parabolic one - give me trapezoidal!

A new sim lab? You know its already built right?