1. MSO strongly supports marriage equality for same-sex couples. We believe that this will lead to better outcomes for all Australians. #voteyes
    Dismiss Notice
  2. MSO wishes all year 12's sitting their final exams the best of luck. May your pens never run out and your pages never stick.
    Dismiss Notice

Dentistry hand skills

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by awesome123, Oct 11, 2017.

1. awesome123

awesome123 Member

I was very excited when I was offered dentistry last year and was really enthusiastic about starting it this year. I did quite well in BDS1 in terms of my academic performance but have had continual difficulties in sim clinic and clinic (due to poor manual dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination) and so was advised to take a leave of absence till next year. I was wondering what activities can improve these abilities and is it realistic to expect an improvement in these skills over the 3 month break until next year's intake or should I just pursue another career?

2. acbard9

acbard9 Member

That's so devastating to hear mate :(. I'm not sure if I can help, but aren't sports (e.g. tennis/table tennis) a really good way to develop hand-eye coordination? I'm also sure there are exercises you can do every day to improve it. Perhaps your GP or a local Physiotherapist may help you out? I would suggest not to rule out anything. I wish you the best of luck!

I think if you really want to do Dentistry, keep trying to improve, as you always have the chance to do a different career later :).

awesome123 likes this.
  3. pi

pi Monash MBBS(Hons) V, BMedSc(Hons) Moderator

I'd even play video games (games that involve more than button bashing, so not an MMO!) or actually get some of the dentistry equipment at home to practice with (hopefully you can get it cheap-ish from somewhere!). Hand skills can be learnt with persistence and patience :)

DDest and awesome123 like this.
  4. Sassysep

Sassysep Member

Typing (i.e. on ur computer) is really good to improve dexterity. So is things like playing instruments (guitar, piano). Also try using chopstick and try pick up jellybeans, M&M's etc It doesn't have to be anything crazy but simple things like this could really help.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    awesome123 likes this.
  5. kjz

kjz Member

I really feel sorry for you. Seriously you have to make sure if you are just slower than your peers or your work's quality is poorer than them even you have tried your best. If only slower but quality is good, then you don't need to worry too much. What you need to do is to practise more and speed up to an acceptable level. If your situation is the latter, it can be a bit problematic because dentistry has a lot of procedure assessments during the years. Nevertheless, you should ask yourself if you really love dentistry. If the answer is yes, it is worth to try hard to break through this bottle neck. Otherwise you may think about to pursue other career paths ASAP.

awesome123 likes this.