Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Easiest General Education- University of Auckland

anonfor4

Hi,

So I am looking to apply to medicine as a post grad so I would like to know what are the easiest general education papers at UoA, essentially the GPA boosters?!

Thanks !

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

So I am looking to apply to medicine as a post grad so I would like to know what are the easiest general education papers at UoA, essentially the GPA boosters?!

Thanks !

Hi @anonfor4 ,

This is potentially a great thread if people would share their experience/opinions on different papers. We haven't really had a thread like this for Auckland recently. I hope this thread gets lots of contributions.

Also, I am going to move this thread to the graduate entry forum since it will be more appropriate there.

Thank you.

anonfor4

Hi @anonfor4 ,

This is potentially a great thread if people would share their experience/opinions on different papers. We haven't really had a thread like this for Auckland recently. I hope this thread gets lots of contributions.

Also, I am going to move this thread to the graduate entry forum since it will be more appropriate there.

Thank you.

Okay sounds good! Also can this thread include reviews on stage II & III health science papers as I am struggling to pick some of my electives

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hey! I just did first year biomed at Auckland, and I did PHIL 105g as my gen ed. It was honestly the easier university paper I have ever done. I had done a degree beforehand, which helped a lot with the written argument (30% of the grade) - though I did chose a topic which was easy to write about (I know people who did other topics and struggled a lot more). The weekly online quizzes are pretty simple, just need to vaguely keep up with the content and you can search up anything you find difficult. The exams in the past have been quite difficult, but in our year it was extremely easy - I know of people who crammed for one day having done barely anything all year and got over 90%. It ended up being my highest overall mark by far this year with the least amount of time put in.

With that being said, I imagine they might look into increasing the difficulty - perhaps of the exam or the assignment - so I cannot guarantee that it will be the same story next year should you choose to take it.

@sport11 will be able to advise you on why the PHARM gen-ed is a poor choice as a GPA booster.

Hanzo

PGY1
@anonfor4 I have just finished a degree, and I took ECON151G as one of my geneds.

I found it relatively easy to do well in when compared to the other papers I was taking that year (2 stage 2 medscis and compsci 111). Lecture content is quite straightforward at level 1/2/3 NCEA but will get harder as you approach the end of the course. The best thing about it is that there is only 1 test and 1 exam. This is very very very nice by the end of your degree when you have may have potentially up to 5 things due in one week along with umat or something. Everything is in the course guides provided with little reading required. The lecture was great and passionate and set relatively nice questions. Questions are also repeated from year to year, while previous exam answers may seem daunting and complex, I really felt like they rewarded me with marks with very simple answers in the actual test and exam when i did them. I also did PHIL105 and would agree with @robbieg93 but i remember only scoring 60 and 80% in the assignments but somehow still got an A in 2014, i guess its not too bad? Content was straightforward, lecturers were a bit crazy tho. Quizzes were easily googleable and very easy to get full marks in.

Other geneds include, that my friends have done:

• FINEARTS201G can be done in summer school. Great for GPA boost and buffer into stage 2/3... however you must be able to write good essays and love abstract art.
  • INTBUS151G similar to economics151g difficulty i suppose. There are weekly quizzes worth 40% of the total course and is very easy. Exam is a bit hard to do very well in but doable for A+. Lecturer apparently gives massive hints.
Otherwise you can always check this link out for different geneds and various reviews (not too reliable tho!)
Student Course Review

Remember, you can take as many stage 1s to boost your GPA, though i dont really advise it as i know alot of people who have taken 10 papers per year for grad entry. I've only really seen this work out well for people who got Bs for a couple of their papers, but if you are sitting on A-s/As its probably not worth the stress. Otherwise, either they burn out (which has both negative short term and long term effects on mental health), or just under perform when it comes to say, 5 exams in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
which has both negative short term and long term effects on mental health

This is something you should seriously think about. This affects many students and it can have a major impact on your health and life, even long term.

lurker13

We can take as many stage 1 as we want? I thought we were only allowed no more than twelve stage 1 courses for a BSc. Can someone clear this up for please. Thank you.

anonfor4

Thanks to everyone for your tips and advice, really appreciate it and I'm definitely going to think about it!!

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads