Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Feeling lost in the middle of a biomed degree

timcele

Lurker
Hi guy! I am currently studying in stage 2 biomed sci(UoA), after not getting into med last year. On the other hand, I was accepted into pharmacy and I did pharmacy in the first semester of 2016. After one semester I found that I absolutely hated pharmacy so I changed my degree back to biomed for semester two.

Last year, I got A for biosci107, A+ for chem110, B- for poplhlth111 and A for medsci142. Overall I got 7.25 gpa for the cores and 7 overall. For UMAT, I got 10th percentile(90%).
I did not put full effort to study back then, because I felt unsure what I was hoping for my future.

Last sem, I hated the course from the start till the end. At last, I concluded the semester with a horrible 3.5 gpa.

Now after some consideration, I realised I really want to study med. Apparently, the only way of making it possible is to apply through the graduate entry. And for that matter, I quickly ditched pharmacy which I did not like and could not do well in.

But the problem remains. My gpa now is 5.83. Even if I get all A+ for my future papers they only average out to a 7.6, and needless to say it is ridiculous to aim for A+ in all papers throughout a degree.

I still have 4 semesters to go until my degree is over.

If anyone has any idea about what I should do to maximise my chance of getting into med schools in nz or aussie, please teach me what to do.

I feel really lost... almost like whatever effort I give in the future would not matter anymore because of my past.

Is there any way that I can start off as a first year uni student and have a brand new gpa? either aussie or nz?

Thank you very much guys.

Last edited:

Eddy1993

I would say Honours may help or masters degree via Other Category.
If he has bad marks in his bachelor's and does well in his masters; wouldn't they look back at his poor results in his bachelor's when making a decision to allow him to undertake the Med degree?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads