1. UMAT 2017 will be held on the 26th July! Good luck to all test takers!

Dismiss Notice

Flinders undergraduate entry

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by Josht4971, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Josht4971

Josht4971 Member

Hey everyone,
    just wanted to clarify somethings regarding finders undergraduate entry for Medicine.
    firstly do they allow Gap yearers to apply through the undergraduate program ( no tertiary record)
    secondly when does applications open? i saw that it opens on the first of june but this might be graduate entry, any idea when it is for undergraduate
    finally as a rural applicant would an atar of 95.9 be somewhat competitive. i know they have a heavy weighting on atar over the umat so just wanted an idea how i match up compared to past successful rural applicants.
    thanks in advance

2. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    Last time I checked Flinders says no records of tertiary studies so gap year is okay. Application via SATAC opens around August.

I don't remember Flinders undergrad provisional entry having any special allocation for rural applicants. You should be eligible for the UES scheme by SATAC but I'm not sure if the bonuses will be sufficient to lift 95.9 to the 99.80+ required > Universities Bonus Schemes - SATAC

3. Josht4971

Josht4971 Member

thanks for the reply A1, yeah was a bit confused as well because they do definately have a rural quota.
    however i did do some digging around and found this:
    FLINDERS- Undergraduate Offers 2015 | Med Students Online
    a student did get an offer for the undergraduate program through the rural program with a lower atar than me. im just a bit worried my atar isnt sufficent enough for an interview or offer.

4. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    Still can't find any reference of Flinders rural undergrad so I think likely that was the CDU (Charles Darwin) sub-quota within Flinders. With this scheme I think (not really sure though) you study the undergrad degree at CDU then join Flinders MD then are required to work a number of years in the NT. If okay with these conditions you should have a good chance with 95.9 seeing the other one was 94.5, make sure you apply for all the bonus schemes available.

Btw there's no interview for Flinders/CDU undergrad entry.

5. Josht4971

Josht4971 Member

oh right that makes sense. yeah honestly medicine is medicine wherever it is. so if the oppurtinity arises ill gladly take it. unfortunately the only bonus scheme available for me (if applicable) would be the high school subject scheme, where i did maths c as a subject. Even though i lived in a ra2 area for 5 year i did graduate in a city school.
    regardless thank you A1 for all the helpful information.

6. MedKid360

MedKid360 New Member

Hi Josht4971,
    I was offered a first round offer at finders uni ATAR of 97.95 last year, so that ATAR may be in the range for a place.

Flinders do have a rural sub quota program. Last year, I think 2 day before offers were released, I received an email that I have been deemed eligible under the rural sub quota program from finders uni through SATAC. It looked like this.

" Dear MedKid360

SATAC has assessed the statutory declaration you provided in support of your claim of rural/remote background and this email is to confirm your eligibility to be considered under the rural and remote sub-quota for your relevant preference(s) at Flinders University.

Please note, eligibility for the rural and remote sub-quota does not mean you will be guaranteed a place in the course(s) for which you have applied.

Kind regards
    SATAC "

As far as the rural application goes for Flinders, as soon as you submit your course application to SATAC, you must sign a statutory declaration form found on the course list page where you actually select the course on SATAC. This statutory declaration needs to be uploaded to SATAC within a week ( I think) of making the initial application.

You only need to submit this one statutory declaration to be considered for both finders uni and adelaide uni rural sub quota programs.

For undergraduate applications, look at the SATAC website for when applications open for courses.

7. nire

nire Regular Member

hey im planning on applying to flinders as well.
    just out of curiousity, and please feel free to not answer, but what umat did you get. cause i believe Flinders count 10% on umat.
    secondly did you get a bonded or unbonded spot
    finally did you have Eas or any form of bonus points to boost your atar?

cheers.

8. MedKid360

MedKid360 New Member

Hey Nire,

My overall UMAT percentile was 76, scoring 58 in s1, 50 in s2, 59 in s3 . I received an unboneded offer from finders uni.

I lived in a RA3 area, thus I was eligible for rural entry schemes.

nire likes this.
  9. nire

nire Regular Member

oh i see, do you reckon 96 atar is competive for flinders? assuming no bonus points.

10. shadowduke

shadowduke Monash MD I

For last year I believe the cutoff was 99.80 for non-rural. It's quite high cause there is 30 something spots, no interview and pretty much no umat (like its 10%), so its almost like an automatic offer once you pass the atar barrier.