Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Future of the UWA Medicine Program.

neblol

Excellent course? where is your proof?

Every Australian university that offers a medical course has to be at a certain level, logic tells me if Flinders University is running it then it must be decent.

bt4161

it has also been confirmed that there will be provisional entry for rural WA students, using ATAR and UMAT, rather than GAMSAT.

chinaski

While there is a bit of a shift from offering undergrad to grad entry in Australia, I really do hope that undergrad entry is retained. Grad entry does give you the opportunity to study more and grow as a person. However 7+ years to be without pay is a REALLY long time, and this is particularly so in Medicine where there are some times when you work really hard which makes juggling an outside job, a creative exercise.

This assumes that 1) An extra year of being a student (ie 7 grad vs 6 undergrad) is a significant burden and 2) Most grad entry students live under the same circumstances as undergrad entry students. My anecdotal observations would suggest that grad entry students often DON'T do the whole undergrad "living in poverty" glamour; they will often come to the course from a double income family, or have savings upon which they can draw, or already own their own house, or have professional qualifications that afford them a better than expected income while they study (etc - the list goes on). Certainly, a lot of them grumble about having to endure a reduction in their income, but fewer of them drop under the poverty line to which many of us became accustomed as undergrad students in our late teens/early twenties.

I actually don't disagree with your sentiments (that undergrad entry should be retained), but I don't think the extra year of study required by the graduate stream is a particularly compelling supportive argument.

alwinl

This assumes that 1) An extra year of being a student (ie 7 grad vs 6 undergrad) is a significant burden.

Make that 2 at UWA - there's also the ghostly "pre-med" course that they don't seem to mention much. Maybe it'll disappear with the new system but as it is, our post-grad med entrants take 1+4 years to finish.

DMV

Make that 2 at UWA - there's also the ghostly "pre-med" course that they don't seem to mention much. Maybe it'll disappear with the new system but as it is, our post-grad med entrants take 1+4 years to finish.
really? never heard about it

I

iSplicer

I personally think the shift from undergrad to postgrad is awesome, and I really hope this change sweeps through Australia more rapidly!

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads