GEMSAS QUESTION (AWARDED CREDITS)

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by Rainmaker, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Rainmaker

Rainmaker New Member

Hello everyone, first post here!

Just finished communicating with the GEMSAS, and I'm still confused and my question to them wasnt answered, hope you guys can help me (I had a look at their GPA page as well) ;)

So I have been credited two unspecified credits for the two electives for my current 3 year biomedical science degree
    (I have studied bachelor of commerce previously and this is where my unspecified credits have come from)

GEMSAS has emailed me back that my previous academic transcript will be used to assess these electives, however the two credits I have been awarded does not have the same course unit name or code. There isn't even a grade point for these two subjects and I don't know how GEMSAS will even compare this..

SEMESTER SESSION: Sem 1 2017
    COURSE: EXTL1049
    COURSE TITLE: Approved Studies 1
    GRADE: EX
    UNIT VALUE: 12.000

Any help what will happen when GEMSAS sees these unspecified credits?

Thank YOU!

2. Olives

Olives Member

Hi Rainmaker,

I have a similar problem with my undergraduate degree. For unspecified credits, I believe GEMSAS will take your grades from the last year that you did Commerce, even though they may not be the actual subjects that you used for credit. The specific subjects that they choose to take your grades from are usually the ones with the highest grades.

Have you checked out Paging Dr? It's probably more likely that you will find answers to GEMSAS questions on a postgrad med forum :)

3. GV

GV Regular Member

This is a very difficult situation to offer advice for because no one is aware of the inner workings of GEMSAS, and this is a very particular issue. I'd just contact GEMSAS and make them aware of the different names etc of the units and just hope for the best. They are generally quite understanding and reasonable to work with.