Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

GPA problem (<5.5)

sifuchun

Lurker
Hi All,

I am new to the forum so I hope the following questions won't sound too stupid to anyone.

I have just sat my GAMSAT on 24/3/12 (and it was bloody hard). Afterward, I went home to calculate my GPA for entry into DDM @USYD (YES, i should have done this before I even think of doing the GAMSAT). And i found out that my GPA in the third last year is 5.69, 2nd-last year is 5.5 and final year is 5.13. Does that mean the overall GPA is 5.44? And if so, do I still have any chance of getting into DDM (assuming i do well in GAMSAT and interview)? Will it help if my undergraduate degree was bachelor of pharmacy?

And if I really can't get into postgrad dentistry? Is there any other ways of doing dent, e.g. a BDS in UQ or UA?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated as I am really stressed at the moment.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Your B. Pharm will not be helpful in terms of the application process. They will look at all degress the same.
If you dont make it post grad this time, you can keep trying every year (although if your GPA is not good enough, which I am not sure about, you may need to look at other options)
For UADEL, you could try the STAT test (must be over 21) to replace your GPA/ATAR, do the UMAT (I think its still the same even if you are actually post grad) and do the interview.

jeng

Ok, well I'm pretty much in the same position as you but I'd rather undergraduate entry. One, to calculate your gpa you have to calculate the average over the whole degree. You can't really just calculate each year/semester then the average of that cause I don't think it works out the same. So you might be 5.5+ you just need to calculate it properly. If you do not get a 5.5 gpa you can try undergraduate where some unis use 5.0 gpa (csu doesn't need umat only a good application and then an interview). Or do a higher degree ie honours or masters which some unis use as your gpa.

justmed

Jeng is spot on about calculation GPA. You need to calculate your GPA ( HD ...7 D ...6 C ...5 P...4 ) . If your GPA is under threshold, you might apply Dent at CSU or JCU with a good application and interview.Good luck..:smiley_pray:

sifuchun

Lurker
Thanks for your advice. It seems that the GPA minimum to get into DDM @USYD for 2013 is 5.5 so I am pretty sure I can't get in.

Do I have still have to do the STAT test? According to the following paragraph from the UADEL website, it seems that i can apply using my current GPA with an UMAT result (but then again this may be for 2012 entry only):

"Alternative entry pathways

• Higher Education applicants You must have completed at least half a year full time equivalent higher education study, achieving at least a credit average (a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or more). You must sit the Undergraduate Medicine & Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and top UMAT performers must also attend a structured oral assessment. Applications will be ranked on the basis of all 3 components: the UMAT, oral assessment and GPA. All applicants must meet prerequisite requirements.
    The Bachelor of Dental Surgery program does not accept LATER-YEAR transfer of students who have partially completed an undergraduate dentistry program at another university, except when there is a formal dental education agreement between the other university and the University of Adelaide or the applicant is an MBBS graduate seeking enrolment in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery) program."

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for your advice. It seems that the GPA minimum to get into DDM @USYD for 2013 is 5.5 so I am pretty sure I can't get in.

Do I have still have to do the STAT test? According to the following paragraph from the UADEL website, it seems that i can apply using my current GPA with an UMAT result (but then again this may be for 2012 entry only):

"Alternative entry pathways

• Higher Education applicants You must have completed at least half a year full time equivalent higher education study, achieving at least a credit average (a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or more). You must sit the Undergraduate Medicine & Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and top UMAT performers must also attend a structured oral assessment. Applications will be ranked on the basis of all 3 components: the UMAT, oral assessment and GPA. All applicants must meet prerequisite requirements.
    The Bachelor of Dental Surgery program does not accept LATER-YEAR transfer of students who have partially completed an undergraduate dentistry program at another university, except when there is a formal dental education agreement between the other university and the University of Adelaide or the applicant is an MBBS graduate seeking enrolment in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery) program."

Yep, you dont have the sit the STAT test, I just mentioned it, as it is a way to effectively 'increase' your GPA without doing a whole other degree.

sifuchun

Lurker
i am confused now (and happy to hear i still might have a chance). When USYD asks for a gpa minimum of 5.5 of the most recent 3 years, what do they actually mean?? I did in fact use the usyd DDM method of GPA calculation to find out the individual gpa for each of the 3 years (5.69, 5.50 and 5.13 respectively). Are you saying they will actually "play around" with these GPA figures and not just averaging them?? e.g. may be pick the best GPA out of the three, or taking the ratio of the 3 GPA??

If anyone can help me, i have here an image of an excel spreadsheet showing the figures i entered (i download it from the usyd DDM website). The figures in the blue field seems to be the significant ones. Any comments/ advice will be much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2012-03-27 at 12.41.10 AM.png

Theres a GPA calculator on pagingdr.com apparently if you get like a credit if your from group 2. credit average gpa for gamsat is classified as 5.5 not 5.0

House

Yep, you dont have the sit the STAT test, I just mentioned it, as it is a way to effectively 'increase' your GPA without doing a whole other degree.

I'm graduating at the end of 2013 WOOHOOOO :lols:
I'm working hard on GPA and GAMSAT right now. I'm rather curious about this STAT test you're talking about. How does it increase your GPA and by how much? Cheers

Stat test will do nothing to boost your GPA or entry rank.
It is a test that supplements 'non-tertiary' studies allowing people entry into basic uni courses. For example if you did not get an OP in Qld, or just did not finish grade 12, you could sit the Stat test on its own or use the Stat test in conjunction with other life skills (work history, cert II, diplomas etc) to gain a more competitive entry rank to commence tertiary studies.

If you have any kind of respectable high school entry score or have a passing GPA, Stat will be a waste of time as it has a maximum rank of about 88 by itself or 92 if combined with certain other qualifications. It may allow entrance to a BaSci but not much else. Also, many uni's will disregard Stat if previous tertiary level study has been completed.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Yea to clarify, it actually doesn't affect your GPA, I used the term to mean it can serve as a way to increase your academic strength if you have a poor GPA

House

Stat test will do nothing to boost your GPA or entry rank.
It is a test that supplements 'non-tertiary' studies allowing people entry into basic uni courses. For example if you did not get an OP in Qld, or just did not finish grade 12, you could sit the Stat test on its own or use the Stat test in conjunction with other life skills (work history, cert II, diplomas etc) to gain a more competitive entry rank to commence tertiary studies.

If you have any kind of respectable high school entry score or have a passing GPA, Stat will be a waste of time as it has a maximum rank of about 88 by itself or 92 if combined with certain other qualifications. It may allow entrance to a BaSci but not much else. Also, many uni's will disregard Stat if previous tertiary level study has been completed.

Thanks for the clarification ^_^ now I got another question
My GPA isn't exactly too flash right now. I'm planning to study real well this year though. If I can't get into the courses I want next year, I'm planning on taking on the Diploma of Education for Secondary/Tertiary education. I know that taking honours might boost your GPA, but will a Diploma also boost it?? Thanks in advance