1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

GPA to QTAC rank conversions

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by jiaxing, Jul 22, 2017.

1. jiaxing

jiaxing Member

Hey everyone!

So, I've completed 1 year full time of Masters (by coursework) and have a GPA of 7/7. I'm looking at applying for the B Dental Health Science at Griffith and B Dental Surgery at JCU. I know they don't look at UMAT, GAMSAT or have any interviews. What do you guys think are my chances?

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Breaker of order

3. jiaxing

jiaxing Member

Thanks Sherlock!

Those data are for UQ, I'm looking at applying at JCU and at Griffith. Do you think the conversions would be the same across UQ, JCU and Griffith?

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Breaker of order

Hi there, yes, I would imagine the conversion would be the same or very much close to it.

5. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
  6. jiaxing

jiaxing Member

I was having a read through that thread and I also thought Griffith Dent goes by GPA directly. I'm so confused about this whole rank system - if the max rank I can get from my Masters is 97 even with a GPA of 7/7, then that's a bit unfair isn't it?

Can some smart soul shed some light on this?

7. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The Masters 97 max is described as an Alternate rank to the one by GPA. I guess it's used when the degree has no grade points.

Two other tables in that UQ pdf show 6.5+ is given rank 99. What we don't know is whether the Masters 7 will be your GPA by itself, or counts only as one year then combines with two Bach years for overall GPA. Need to check with GU or QTAC.

8. jiaxing

jiaxing Member

A1, I agree with you that the Masters 97 is an alternate rank in case there is no graded GPA. Also, the Masters was a 2 years course.

I had emailed GU and QTAC earlier this week about this. I just got an email back from them. GU said QTAC will assign a rank depending on the GPA of my most recent course (Masters in my case). A GPA of 6.5 is a rank of 99, like you said. However, since Dentistry is highly competitive at GU, the university assigns a further discriminating rank for those with GPA above 6.5. For example, a GPA of 6.5 is a rank of 99 and a GPA of 6.6 is a rank of 99(point something). Thus, they discriminate the competition as such.

What's your view on this?

9. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The footnote under the 6.5=99 says there is a finer table available. GU being in Qld states its criteria by the OP system (OP1/Rank99) but its cutoff is higher so shown as ATAR equivalent 99.5-99.6

People have got in with GPA 6.75 it looks safe to assume 6.75=~99.5 and 7.0 would be close to 99.9

(Note Rank 99 = Atar 99.0+, when it needs to be 99.x there isn't any rank higher than 99 so an Atar equivalent is used instead)