Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

frootloop

Doctor
Anyone able to answer the above question? @frootloop
I don't have a clue, sorry. Someone like @Stuart will follow grad entry cut-offs way more closely than I do.

I mean, back when I got in that sort of score sounds roughly in the range I remember people talking about. Five or six years later? No idea

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

I apologise for the late reply. I didn't receive any notification for the posts above.

From what I know (based on MSO data) 7.6 appears to be at the low end. Are you planning on applying at the end of 2017?

Have you, by any chance, seen the plot I have posted in the past somewhere? I will attach an updated version here for a reference.

Attachments

• OGCWGPA.jpeg
    OGCWGPA.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 668
P

posting123

Hi,

I apologise for the late reply. I didn't receive any notification for the posts above.

From what I know (based on MSO data) 7.6 appears to be at the low end. Are you planning on applying at the end of 2017?

Have you, by any chance, seen the plot I have posted in the past somewhere? I will attach an updated version here for a reference.

What about for graduate entrance into dentistry? What are the cutoffs for direct entry for graduates?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
What about for graduate entrance into dentistry? What are the cutoffs for direct entry for graduates?

Hi @whatismyname ,

Unfortunately, we (MSO) don't have much information on the cutoffs for BDS at Otago (Graduate Category). The school doesn't release such information and we are left to speculate based on the limited data here. As far as I know, 7.68 is the lowest one on record for this year's intake. Also note this applicant was not Rural/MAPAS.

I am sorry if you were expecting another plot or something.

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
Are there any postgrad students sitting prescribed course papers as part of a conditional offer for 2018? Currently sitting 3 of core papers and haven't come across anyone who is in the same situation. Feeling like an outcast among a whole lecture theater filled with first years hahaha

Me! Doing chem/physics/epi to satisfy my conditional entry :)

frootloop

Doctor
Me! Doing chem/physics/epi to satisfy my conditional entry :)
Wait, you're a medical laboratory scientist and they're making you sit 100-level chemistry? Surely that'd easily give you more relevant chemistry knowledge for medicine than CHEM191 haha.

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
Wait, you're a medical laboratory scientist and they're making you sit 100-level chemistry? Surely that'd easily give you more relevant chemistry knowledge for medicine than CHEM191 haha.

Biochem for sure but not as much gen chem/orgo. I was actually meant to do 191 way back when I did my original BSc before I even did my BMLSc but asked if I could just do BIOC192 instead because I felt it was more relevant (it is). It's a pain in the ass really, doing these three papers is just a massive inconvenience but I'll take it over not getting into med at all :D

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
although what is funny is that gen chem is definitely more important for med lab sci than medicine (and seeing as I'm only just doing it now, that tells you just how important it actually is) when I was applying I went to see the course director and they saw i didn't have physics/chem and they were like yeah who cares about that, you don't need them - but medicine, where it is less relevant, wants me to :(

frootloop

Doctor
Considering chemistry is supposedly only there because it's the prerequisite for something useful (BIOC192), I'm surprised they're making you do it if you've already done BIOC. Oh well, get through this semester and you and everybody else can wipe chemistry from your memories!

Epi is easily the health sci paper with the most enduring relevance though. So while it must be frustrating having to take a year out, it is definitely one you'll need.

Med99949

Lurker
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me get a few things clarified. I'm not sure if this is the right one to post on but its been really helpful to me.
So I am currently in my last year of pharmacy degree with Hons but am keen to go for Med (after the internship year maybe). I have signed up for UMAT for 2017 and plan to apply for entry in either 2018 or 19
Q1. I was wondering where my best chances would be Auckland or Otago? My current situation is that I'm doing honours (which is part of your last year of your bachelors and not postgrad) but my GPA is no that high.. I am hoping for 7.2 by the time I graduate (end of 2017). My UMAT in HSFY was 78th percentile so I understand I am maybe not the strongest candidate but would I have higher chances with Auckland cause they do MMI and maybe I have a better chance due to me being able to sell myself more as Otago doesnt take into consideration your previous degree or the hons? I also do qualify for rural entry in Auckland but not Otago.

Q2. I want to complete my internship year otherwise I wouldnt be registered as a pharmacist and as I plan to do part time work while I study it would be a huge boost to be able to work as a registered pharmacist money wise as well as it adds to my knowledge. But if I did get in in 2018 then would I be able to defer for a year?

Q3. Has anyone being through pharmacy and gotten in? If so what was their grade average? was it graduate entry or alternative?

And any other tips or advice anyone has for me would be great!! :)
Oh and if this isnt the correct place to be posting then sorry just please point me in the right direction :)

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me get a few things clarified. I'm not sure if this is the right one to post on but its been really helpful to me.
So I am currently in my last year of pharmacy degree with Hons but am keen to go for Med (after the internship year maybe). I have signed up for UMAT for 2017 and plan to apply for entry in either 2018 or 19
Q1. I was wondering where my best chances would be Auckland or Otago? My current situation is that I'm doing honours (which is part of your last year of your bachelors and not postgrad) but my GPA is no that high.. I am hoping for 7.2 by the time I graduate (end of 2017). My UMAT in HSFY was 78th percentile so I understand I am maybe not the strongest candidate but would I have higher chances with Auckland cause they do MMI and maybe I have a better chance due to me being able to sell myself more as Otago doesnt take into consideration your previous degree or the hons? I also do qualify for rural entry in Auckland but not Otago.

Q2. I want to complete my internship year otherwise I wouldnt be registered as a pharmacist and as I plan to do part time work while I study it would be a huge boost to be able to work as a registered pharmacist money wise as well as it adds to my knowledge. But if I did get in in 2018 then would I be able to defer for a year?

Q3. Has anyone being through pharmacy and gotten in? If so what was their grade average? was it graduate entry or alternative?

And any other tips or advice anyone has for me would be great!! :)
Oh and if this isnt the correct place to be posting then sorry just please point me in the right direction :)

Hi! Welcome to MSO :)

For Auckland they will look at your GPA over the last 2 years only - so it is important to only consider these years in your application. 7.2 is a tad on the low side compared to many applicants, but there have been some cases of people getting in near that - check out the past offers forums for Auckland to get a better idea. Being eligible for RRAS will also be an asset, as this does lower the entry requirements somewhat from what I have seen. Certainly with an excellent interview (and depending on the standards of the cohort applying) you will likely be in with a decent shot!

For Auckland, according to the FAQ page you will not be able to defer starting the course if you are accepted. Not sure about Otago, sorry.

I know of a pharmacist in 2nd year at Auckland, but not sure about their GPA - though the GPA requirements are just as high for any course. I can imagine that having experience as a pharmacist would likely help with some of the interview questions.

Good luck for UMAT and the rest of your studies this year :)

Med99949

Lurker
Hi! Welcome to MSO :)

For Auckland they will look at your GPA over the last 2 years only - so it is important to only consider these years in your application. 7.2 is a tad on the low side compared to many applicants, but there have been some cases of people getting in near that - check out the past offers forums for Auckland to get a better idea. Being eligible for RRAS will also be an asset, as this does lower the entry requirements somewhat from what I have seen. Certainly with an excellent interview (and depending on the standards of the cohort applying) you will likely be in with a decent shot!

For Auckland, according to the FAQ page you will not be able to defer starting the course if you are accepted. Not sure about Otago, sorry.

I know of a pharmacist in 2nd year at Auckland, but not sure about their GPA - though the GPA requirements are just as high for any course. I can imagine that having experience as a pharmacist would likely help with some of the interview questions.

Good luck for UMAT and the rest of your studies this year :)

Hey!

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

Right so Auckland wont give me any sort of preference because I am in Pharmacy or part of Hons?
Also cause you have said only the last two years count in Auckland is it like Otago where its the top 120 points each year or overall all because my two years would be 120 and 144 pts. Does that change anything? Or is it just GPA average over the two years regardless of the amount of work done ie pts?
Do you know what the RRAS entry cut off has been for Auckland for the past years?

Again thank you so much for your help!

:)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey!

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

Right so Auckland wont give me any sort of preference because I am in Pharmacy or part of Hons?
Also cause you have said only the last two years count in Auckland is it like Otago where its the top 120 points each year or overall all because my two years would be 120 and 144 pts. Does that change anything? Or is it just GPA average over the two years regardless of the amount of work done ie pts?
Do you know what the RRAS entry cut off has been for Auckland for the past years?

Again thank you so much for your help!

:)

Hi,

Yes, they will take the best 120 points per year. As for the cut-off, we are not entirely sure. It definitely is slightly lower than the standard category.

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
I'll probably get told why I'm wrong about but imho with your setup you should finish up, get a job in a hospital pharmacy or something and put yourself out there to get some good work stories and go for alt category. I feel like that's so much better suited to professional course grads than straight graduate entry and you don't have to do UMAT. You'll also have a very real advantage going into the med program over your peers who don't have work experience (let alone in the health field)

Med99949

Lurker
I'll probably get told why I'm wrong about but imho with your setup you should finish up, get a job in a hospital pharmacy or something and put yourself out there to get some good work stories and go for alt category. I feel like that's so much better suited to professional course grads than straight graduate entry and you don't have to do UMAT. You'll also have a very real advantage going into the med program over your peers who don't have work experience (let alone in the health field)
Hi!

Thank you for that I do appreciate your input and do agree with you.
I was just hoping to maybe kill two birds with one stone and work part time while I study so I can get that experience.
As we all know its a long road to go down when you get into med so I just dont want to start too late but in saying that I do understand where you are coming from.

I am just thinking it doesnt hurt to try and go for graduate entry in the mean time. I already have one career in the bag so to say but if I can advance it like I want to then I would love the opportunity to.

Do you have any information on the alternative entry? Do either Auckland or Otago have a grade cut-off point? I do understand it will be a while before I can apply through it but if it happens to be my only option at the end do you know the process and how I can increase my chances of getting in?

Thanks heaps though. :)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff

Are you suggesting that they should let the graduate category option go?