Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hello!

This thread is for those who will be applying for MBChB at University of Auckland under the Graduate Category for 2018 intake. Come join the chat now and share your experience!

If you are new, introduce yourself and tell us where/what your are studying :)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a psychology student at Auckland! I applied for both Auckland and Otago med and really want to know what my chances are like. For Auckland, my GPA is 8.25 so far (taking the last three semesters into account), and can increase to around 8.4 with perfect grades this semester. My weighted Otago GPA is lower because my first year was bad, and can reach a maximum of about 7.9. I also got 94th percentile in UMAT and am under the Rural Admission Scheme for Auckland but not Otago. I understand that cutoffs have been getting increasingly higher, so I'm just a bit nervous about my chances. Any idea how I'm looking at the moment?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi, I'm a psychology student at Auckland! I applied for both Auckland and Otago med and really want to know what my chances are like. For Auckland, my GPA is 8.25 so far (taking the last three semesters into account), and can increase to around 8.4 with perfect grades this semester. My weighted Otago GPA is lower because my first year was bad, and can reach a maximum of about 7.9. I also got 94th percentile in UMAT and am under the Rural Admission Scheme for Auckland but not Otago. I understand that cutoffs have been getting increasingly higher, so I'm just a bit nervous about my chances. Any idea how I'm looking at the moment?

Hi @Ricardo123 ,

Welcome to MSO!

For Auckland
  • Sounds like you have a pretty good shot at Auckland. ~8.4 is very competitive especially with 94%ile UMAT + RURAL!!! Do you have any prediction on your final GPA across two years?
  • You would definitely secure an interview
  • You should worry too much and keep doing what you've been doing! Great effort.
For Otago
  • By last year's standard, you would get an offer at Otago off the waitlist. Last year's cutoff was 8.01. Don't lose hope as 7.9 is still at the top end of the waitlist.
  • UMAT 94%ile is more than enough to meet the threshold

Good luck!

Hello all, I am studying biomedical sciences at UoA

I ended up getting pretty average in umat (high 70s) and i've lost motivation to do well for the rest of this year... I am currently applying with an realistic final GPA of 8.50 and at Auckland and 8.395 for otago, what are my chances? No mapas, no rural. I haven't considered med until recently.

Last edited:
Hi @Ricardo123 ,

Welcome to MSO!

For Auckland
  • Sounds like you have a pretty good shot at Auckland. ~8.4 is very competitive especially with 94%ile UMAT + RURAL!!! Do you have any prediction on your final GPA across two years?
  • You would definitely secure an interview
  • You should worry too much and keep doing what you've been doing! Great effort.
For Otago
  • By last year's standard, you would get an offer at Otago off the waitlist. Last year's cutoff was 8.01. Don't lose hope as 7.9 is still at the top end of the waitlist.
  • UMAT 94%ile is more than enough to meet the threshold

Good luck!
That's reassuring! Well 8.3ish is my final prediction for Auckland, although 8.4 if I get straight A+'s this sem! Is the rural scheme likely to help quite a lot then?
I'm just worried that the Otago cutoff keeps increasing.
Also, I have taken the first year biomed papers so should not have to repeat them, but I'm just wondering whether I am at a disadvantage for coming from a psychology degree (BSci) rather than physiology, biomedical, healthsciences etc.

Last edited:

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hello all, I am studying biomedical sciences at UoA

I ended up getting pretty average in umat (high 70s) and i've lost motivation to do well for the rest of this year... I am currently applying with an realistic final GPA of 8.50 at Auckland and 8.395 for otago, what are my chances? No mapas, no rural.

You're pretty much guaranteed a spot in Otago with that GPA. At Auckland you will have an excellent chance, but it would depend on your performance in the interview - though the vast majority of people at an 8.5 GPA would end up with a spot, especially as a grad.

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
That's reassuring! Well 8.3ish is my final prediction for Auckland, although 8.4 if I get straight A+'s this sem! Is the rural scheme likely to help quite a lot then?
I'm just worried that the Otago cutoff keeps increasing.
Also, I have taken the first year biomed papers so should not have to repeat them, but I'm just wondering whether I am at a disadvantage for coming from a psychology degree (BSci) rather than physiology, biomedical, healthsciences etc.

I think rural does tend to help quite a lot, but we don't exactly know for sure how much as it is harder to get the cut-off details for Auckland. An 8.3 would likely give you a very good chance though, even with an average or below average interview.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Does anyone know when Auckland lets us know who has interviews?

Hi @plastic_forkage

Interviews will take place in late November and early December. I believe they will begin sending out offers in early-/mid-November. For example, in 2014, we had reports of people receiving interview offers around 20th November.

As far as I am aware, they don't give you much notice. You will have maybe a week between the offer and the interview day.

I hope that helps :)

Hanzo

PGY1
Last year i got my MMI offer on the 10th of November. Postgrads will have their interviews the week after the undergrads i.e. from 27 November onwards

cat849

Hey guys, my section 3 of UMAT went terribly. I got 39, which I think puts me at the 15th percentile so I've missed the Otago cut off. Does anyone know how much weighting Auckland puts on UMAT? I feel like I've done so badly on this that it will ruin my chances everywhere :( Given how I know my nerves will crush an Auckland interview I was really hoping for Otago.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, my section 3 of UMAT went terribly. I got 39, which I think puts me at the 15th percentile so I've missed the Otago cut off. Does anyone know how much weighting Auckland puts on UMAT? I feel like I've done so badly on this that it will ruin my chances everywhere :( Given how I know my nerves will crush an Auckland interview I was really hoping for Otago.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your UMAT but the world isn't going end just yet!

15%ile isn't look good for Otago but at Auckland UMAT is worth only 15%! How are your grades looking?

One other option is to only apply at Auckland and if you get in, that's awesome! If not, take a gap year etc and work on your UMAT and apply at Otago the year after.

Don't lose hope yet!

cat849

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your UMAT but the world isn't going end just yet!

15%ile isn't look good for Otago but at Auckland UMAT is worth only 15%! How are your grades looking?

One other option is to only apply at Auckland and if you get in, that's awesome! If not, take a gap year etc and work on your UMAT and apply at Otago the year after.

Don't lose hope yet!

Thanks, I'm hoping my auckland GPA would be ~8.4, which I was feeling good about before this! I thought I would be happy with a plan B to study but I think I'll just have to take a year off and try again. I think my grades are my strongest point, so I'm worried they wont be enough to counter UMAT and the interview.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Thanks, I'm hoping my auckland GPA would be ~8.4, which I was feeling good about before this! I thought I would be happy with a plan B to study but I think I'll just have to take a year off and try again. I think my grades are my strongest point, so I'm worried they wont be enough to counter UMAT and the interview.

I am sorry if you have already mentioned this before (there is a huge increase in non-active members posting in time for UMAT and now I am finding it difficult to keep track of all the people) but:

• What's your situation like are you rural or MAPAS by any chance?
  • How are you interview skills etc?
  • What's your weighted GPA like for Otago?

Your GPA is pretty strong. That is a respectable GPA, in my opinion. You should be proud of it :)

cat849

I am sorry if you have already mentioned this before (there is a huge increase in non-active members posting in time for UMAT and now I am finding it difficult to keep track of all the people) but:

• What's your situation like are you rural or MAPAS by any chance?
  • How are you interview skills etc?
  • What's your weighted GPA like for Otago?

Your GPA is pretty strong. That is a respectable GPA, in my opinion. You should be proud of it :)

No worries, I would be applying through in the general category. My interview would make me very nervous, I might be able to counter that with lots of preparation but I definitely didn't want to be relying on it. My weighted at Otago would hopefully be 8.2
Thank-you! It's disappointing to work on it for three years and then not even be able to apply because of this

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
No worries, I would be applying through in the general category. My interview would make me very nervous, I might be able to counter that with lots of preparation but I definitely didn't want to be relying on it. My weighted at Otago would hopefully be 8.2
Thank-you! It's disappointing to work on it for three years and then not even be able to apply because of this

It's really unfortunate but hey, things happen. There many people who are in similar situation as you or even worse! Don't be too hard on yourself (I know it's not as easy as it sounds but what's alternative, you know what I mean.) You can't possible sit UMAT again this year so we will just have to take what we have and see what we can do!

Your Otago weighted GPA is looking pretty good too. You would have got the first round offer last with that grade :)

Definitely don't give up now. Keep up the grades and prepare well for the interview. You may have a good news for Auckland in December!

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff

As Stuart says, UMAT is only 15% at Auckland, and GPA is 60%. If your weighted GPA is 8.4 this will be enough to more than make up for UMAT and put you in the upper tier of applicants. The interview does seem a tad scary (I know I am worried about it!) but I've heard it isn't too bad, and even a decent interview should secure you a place.

floridia

@cat849 in the same boat as you :( got 35%, 18% 60% in umat and now looking at other options out of Otago :( , this is my last year of study, and I'm thinking about applying for Auckland Med graduate entry and I'm guessing my GPA will be 7.96 (last 2 years) at the end of this year, Do you think it's worth applying? Or should I wait after I do a year in honours? @robbieg93 @Stuart thank you!!!

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
@cat849 in the same boat as you :( got 35%, 18% 60% in umat and now looking at other options out of Otago :( , this is my last year of study, and I'm thinking about applying for Auckland Med graduate entry and I'm guessing my GPA will be 7.96 (last 2 years) at the end of this year, Do you think it's worth applying? Or should I wait after I do a year in honours? @robbieg93 @Stuart thank you!!!

Looking at past years offers forums a lot of grads get in with that. If you haven't applied at Auckland before I would definitely go for it. If you only have the one application left, it may be worth trying to boost your GPA in honours year, but it is really up to you as you should have a decent shot with your current GPA.

cat849

I feel your pain, I got 70%, 50%, and 15%, wtf!!! somehow everyone else found S3 the easiest and I completely bombed. This was my first UMAT and I was definitely more clueless than I realised. Still, we have hope! good luck with the rest of your applications, worst case scenario I will see you in Otago med 2018 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.