Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'Graduate Category' started by Stuart, Sep 17, 2016.

1. heartbreaker

heartbreaker New Member

Hello, does anyone know if a Biomed student going for post grad med/dent in Otago and Auckland, is better off doing 7 or 8 papers in 2nd year?
    Also does it not matter whether you do 100 level papers in 2nd year?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. Stuart

Stuart Active NZ Member

Hi,

It's kind of up to you whether you would do seven or eight papers. For scoring purposes, seven is all you need. Many people take eight just in case they don't do as well but it really depends on you

You may study 100 level papers in your second year. However, for Auckland application, 100 level papers taken in Summer School will not be used in scoring.

If you have further questions, reply below. I am more than happy to help.

-edit-
    I would like to encourage you to search through the graduate forum prior to asking. It has a lot information regarding admissions. If you are still lost, let me know.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    heartbreaker likes this.
  3. monty101

monty101 Member

Hi guys, please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I'm a mature student who was working for years until returning to first year at UOA last year with the hope of getting into med (it had been 6 years since my first degree so wasn't eligible for that route). Long story short, I bombed in CHEM110 and didn't get an interview. This year i've transferred into a 2-year Clinical Masters programme. I love what im studying, but the fire for med still burns so I would like to keep the option of graduate entry open for when i finish this....

I have already directed my queries to the FMHS but they give the most vague responses so before I reply for more info I thought i'd pick the brains of these knowledgeable forummers.

1) If i apply with a 2 year masters programme, which '3rd' year do they use in my gpa calc - the last year of my undergrad from years ago, or the first year from health science that I dropped out of?
    2) Will the fact that i got a C+ in CHem110 ruin my chances despite hitting the other re

required GPA thresholds? The study centre assure me that it wont, but i know that non-science grad entrants have to complete core 1st year papers with atleast a B- grade (at least last year)... So does my C+ in Chem destroy me, even if i go in with a >8.0 GPA from masters?

Merged your posts for you - froot

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  4. 1997

1997 New Member

Hi monty101,

Since your masters degree is 2 years in total, your grades in those two years of your masters degree will be used for entrance.

They will not deny you entry into med just because of a C+. If you are accepted into med, you will be asked to get the notes for the first year papers. Note that you do not need to formally take each paper, i.e. sit exams/do assignments if the university does not require you to do so.

Good on you for having the passion and determination to achieve your dreams. When you get accepted into med remember how much you deserve it. I've noticed that the post-graduate students in med are more gracious and humble, and I certainly have a lot of respect for them :)