Griffith's Graduate Diploma of Dentistry - CSP or Full-Fees?

Discussion in 'Griffith University' started by Pete, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Limobean

Limobean Member

Is it difficult to remove it from the Occupations List? Lots of red tape-kind of stuff?

2. UAV

UAV Member

Not exactly sure. It is on the flagged list though, which means they are monitoring Dentistry and it may be removed in the future (Submissions from Industry Stakeholders)

In addition to this The occupation of dentist has been removed from the Victorian and Queensland Nomination Occupation lists (This is what made me originally think it is beginning to be more difficult for foreign dentists).

3. Limobean

Limobean Member

I see. Thank you. Let's see what happens in the future. :)

4. razza

razza New Member

Not trying to discredit what you're saying but according to official published statistics, in 2014 Griffith made 131 total offers for Dental Science, of which 97 were accepted and only 80 in total enrolled (standards + non-standards).

Where are you getting your information from? From what I've discovered this year, nothing is changing for the 2015 intake including the total number of places on offer.

Here is the link with the official stats:
    http://www.qtac.edu.au/Downloads/Statistics/Semester 1 2014/Table_3A_Semester_1_2014_GU.xlsx

5. HotIce

HotIce Member

You are quoting QTAC and forgot to include UAC as Griffith accepts applicants through both QTAC and UAC.
    so the 97 students do not include offers made through UAC which might bring the number up to 140 as UAV and Time said.

And I've heard from different resources that Griffith did mention that it will decrease it's offers for dentistry in 2015.

6. razza

razza New Member

I see, I wonder if UAC publishes their stats as well?

Did anyone from Griffith dentistry actually directly confirm to an applicant that there will be reduced offers this year?

I've read from previous posts that when the cut-off was 99.55 in 2013, the GPA cut-off was 6.6. For 2012 entry, it was also 99.55, and someone with a GPA of 6.625 posted that they received an offer. It will be interesting to see if the cut-off rises above 99.55/GPA 6.6. I suspect many school leavers who achieve 99.5+ will have medicine as their first preference, either at Griffith or elsewhere, and dentistry as a backup.

7. HotIce

HotIce Member

Well, don't underestimate the popularity of dentistry. A lot of kids (and their parents) are starting to realise the dentistry is a quicker road to autonomy in practice and financial freedom (compared to medicine)

But yeah I guess it will be interesting, but I don't think it will go over 6.75

8. UAV

UAV Member

Agree, I know numerous dental students or recently graduated dentists who chose Dentistry above Medicine, the majority of them had their parents as Medical Doctors. A fair number of them said their parents didn't want them studying Medicine.

9. UAV

UAV Member

I still think 140 is an inflated figure. It is probably above 100 but no where near 140.

10. Navuma

Navuma New Member

Hey guys! I'm currently at Griffith - turns out from 2018 - the last two years of the Dentistry Programme has been changed - it is called Masters of Dentistry instead of Graduate Diploma of Dentistry (So like LaTrobe) - Why do you think it changed? What do you think is gonna be beneficial about this change? Nothing about 'indicative fees' is up on the site yet. Looking forward to hear your thoughts! :)