Help me do these S3 questions :)

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by Homosapien, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Homosapien

Homosapien Member

2. krypton

krypton Member

For the first image, it's one of those questions where the bottom two pictures add up to make the picture above. Once you've deduced that, you would need to look at each of the components involved. First of all, separate the circles into those two halves they've shown and view them individually. Lets take the left half of the two circles in the bottom row starting from the left.

1. Look at the colour co-ordination. When a dark grey semi-circle and a lighter grey semi-circle combine, the colour of the resulting semi-circle at the top image is white. If you continue this pattern, you'll establish when the two colours are added together, the resulting colour is the only remain colour ( dark grey + light grey = white, light grey + white = dark grey, dark grey + white = light grey). Once you've established this pattern, look at our question. The resulting image has a left semi-circle colour of light grey, so therefore the combination has to be white and dark grey. With the circle we are already given, the left semi-circle is white, so in the answer options, the left semi-circle has to be dark grey (which rules out option B). You do the same with the right semi-circle and you'll find that option must have the right semi-circle the colour of white, which gives you the answer as D.

Just to double check, looking at the shapes, it's a similar pattern. When you add two shapes in the bottom, the resulting shape is the remaining one. (again you need to compare the two semi-circles separately). e.g a 5 point star + moon = sun, sun + moon = 5 point star, sun + 5 point star = moon) When you continue this, you will find that it fits well with Option D.

Hopefully that's the right answer, and my explanation made sense :). I'm not too sure on the second questionn you've asked on first glance, but if no one else has figured it out, I'll be sure to have a look once I get back home.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. platonically yours

platonically yours go to HAL

For 2 I'm inclined to go D. I don't see any obvious symmetry going on between each triangle, but there is a micro pattern around the centre leaving D and E open. D completes the 3 sides having hands at the edges, with the opposite side having hands and clocks at the edges. There may be a simpler and more conventional pattern I've missed however.

4. 9ine5ive

9ine5ive Member

Well the first one... The patterns going from top left down to bottom right seem to be the same every two patterns, so it's D. Seems like straight to the point and not much working out, but to me seems logical.

Yeah I'd say the second one is D.

5. minhniemouse

minhniemouse Member

Yep. I'd say D for both of them.

6. Homosapien

Homosapien Member

Second one is C but I don't know how.

7. Homosapien

Homosapien Member

I see now, thanks.

8. Kat92

Kat92 Student (BDemCare, BBeSt). Hopeful for JMP 2020

1) D. The first and last are changing and it is a repeating pattern every 2.
    2) It is either D or E. But I am inclined to say D as the inner circle has the diagonals the same and the outside is made up of hands and clocks only.

ewidnewid likes this.
  9. ewidnewid

ewidnewid New Member

1. D because I noticed that the two circles add to form the circle above it. The two outer half-circles are the same and cancel out whilst the two inner half-circles add and are flipped vertically to form the circle above.

2.D because I noticed that there is a pattern with the triangles diagonally across each other. The object in the centre of the hexagon is the same as that in the opposite triangles and the rest of the objects are 3 hands and 1 arrow shared between the two triangles. Since there is one hand and arrow in the triangle opposite (excluding the arrow in the centre), there must be 2 hands in the outside and 1 hand in the centre.

Kat92 likes this.