HSFY 2017

Discussion in 'HSFY' started by Quacks, Jul 16, 2016.

1. cookiesasa

cookiesasa Member

ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY GUYS !
    semester 1 is gone so fast!! :p

frootloop and flooghost7255 like this.
  2. flooghost7255

flooghost7255 Otago MBChB II

Definitely, good job team, 1 semester down, hope you all take a very well deserved break indeed :)

3. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

Well done everyone, you've earned a break! Even if the semester hasn't gone the way you'd hoped, you've finished one of the most demanding and stressful semesters of first year university in the country. That's something to be proud of.

Also, you've finished the hard part of health science. Semester two is much less full-on, and more enjoyable. Public health is an enjoyable paper which is light on memorisation (for an HSFY paper), and lets you actually think for a change. BIOC is just CELS192, and HUBS is, well, HUBS. The optional fourth papers tend to have pretty light workloads, and, because you get to pick your own, can be very interesting and enjoyable. On that note, I'd highly recommend MAOR102, it's a really interesting paper, ludicrously easy to get A-range grades in, and very helpful for medicine. Plus, unlike when you went into semester one, you'll actually know what you're doing.

So enjoy your break (for the love of god don't start studying for semester two now), and recharge those batteries!

4. MacTonight

MacTonight Regular Member

It's a trap.
    When you're used to being in 'learn all the things mode', as you are throughout S1, PUBH can seem unsettlingly ambiguous.
    And, IMO, the pace is too slow, the examples/ cases are average and the quality of the teaching is noticeably inferior.

But yeah, enjoy your break!

5. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

Yeah admittedly I'm just a giant public health nerd, most of my class weren't huge fans of HEAL (or most of our subsequent public health teaching haha). But I'll still try to get the health scis keen on it early on :p

6. tomleegolf

tomleegolf Regular Member

I was one of the people that got marked up :D

So glad first semester is over, I have time to browse the forums now :p

PS How long does it take to get our results for finals? Someone said that we don't get our results until the 3rd of July

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  7. flooghost7255

flooghost7255 Otago MBChB II

I remember not getting results until the second to last day (CHEM and PHSI) and last day (HUBS and CELS) results were due back so do expect a wait. Relax in the meantime! Results aren't going anywhere :p

tomleegolf likes this.
  8. cookiesasa

cookiesasa Member

I saw last year's hsfy thread, I think they got it on the 30th June last year.
    when should I add my eighth paper?

9. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

You can add it when you have decided on which one you want to take. You have time so take your time. I think the absolute last day is in the second week of the semester.

Good luck!

10. MiGoreng

MiGoreng New Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but figured i’d ask anyway.

Unfortunately it seems like I bombed the final chem exam, so it seems that 70% prerequisite for med/dent next year is unlikely. So, besides the practise i’d get, is there any incentive in taking the UMAT this year seeing as it’s only valid for the following year?

Pretty fixated on getting into med, so i’m guessing graduate entry pathway is the only option left? Or are there other alternatives for getting in quicker I.e via Auckland/Aussie?

Couldn’t find the right answers I needed on the web, so hoping someone here could enlighten me.

Cheers.

11. LMG!

LMG! Moderator! Moderator

UMATmbassador!
    I can't really answer your NZ specific questions but re: UMAT, I might be able to help.

Have you registered and paid? (I'm guessing yes due to the fact that registration has closed). If you withdraw, do you get any money back? If so, and if that's an issue, and if you're THOROUGHLY SURE you won't be eligible to apply this year, then sure, take your money back and run!!

However, if the rego money isn't an issue, if you don't get any/much back, if there's a spark of possibility you might be underestimating your Chem result, or if you're the kind of person who likes to know what you're in for (experience), then stay registered and give it a go.

Given the nature of UMAT, the biggest thing that can impact your performance for the positive is practice effects. I'd say capitalise on that all you can!

ETA: Re: Aussie courses. You'd be eligible for all universities that offer non-standard places (UTAS, JCU, JMP, WSU, etc) if you sit UMAT, but unless you're an AU resident/citizen, you'll be up for some pretty hefty fees, plus you'll likely have to commit to working in AU for the short-medium term at a minimum.

flooghost7255 likes this.
  12. Stuart

Hi,

I would encourage you to take UMAT this year to get a taste of what it's like. It should be beneficial to you down the line. Unfortunately, you cannot get a refund at this point so I would suggest you listen to LMG and go for it.

I would also encourage you to look through the Graduate Category section rather than HSFY for any other questions regarding Graduate Category for MBChB.

Good luck!

- edit -

Yes, graduate category is your next best/quickest bet unless you are thinking of AUS.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  13. Clavulanate

Clavulanate Regular Member

Think back over the papers like hubs/cels and see if there was anything you really liked (a lot of people go for microbiology for example) and then do a BSc in that and go as hard as you can. Failing that, get some awesome life experience (volunteering, charity work, unusual and difficult jobs) and go for alt category in a few years. Never too late.

14. Clavulanate

btw results aren't out yet, you'll probably be surprised with how well you did

15. MiGoreng

MiGoreng New Member

Thanks all for the prompt response.

Just double checked on the acer website and unfortunately it is too late for me to withdraw with a refund (misread it as july). So I guess i'll be sitting it regardless.

Not going to get my hopes up on the chem result seeing as I was clueless for probably half, if not more on the SAQ's and not much more confident with my MCQ's either. They threw so many curveballs this time round, and barely assessed most of the core content imo (unless i've been completely out of the loop, lol). Oh well, guess graduate pathway it is!

16. tomleegolf

tomleegolf Regular Member

Hey, I think everybody including myself found it a lot more difficult than expected (relative to previous years). So I wouldn't be surprised if the results were scaled, if that's a thing in HSFY? Otherwise they may have an unusually low pass rate this year. Simply speculation on my part, I'm so nervous for results -_-

17. Clavulanate

I feel like I did very well with the written section and did ok but less than what I hoped for with the MCQ section for chem191. I talked to a flatmate and she said she found the chem exam very hard overall and she's a clever chick. If you found it hard, you're in the same boat as a good portion of the class - that's kind of the point.

18. Clavulanate

How did you find physics? I saw you post a lot on the discussion board (just going by your name, maybe I'm wrong) and you seemed pretty on the ball there. I helped out a lot on the discussion board and also asked a lot of questions there but am seriously wondering if I even passed. I found myself guessing a lot/getting numbers which weren't bang on with the answers (though I guess that could be rounding and significant number related)

19. Stuart

Yes, scaling is a thing in every paper.

Dent is 65% not 70%, I believe.

@Clavulanate: Are you the person who has to do PHSI, CHEM and HEAL?

tomleegolf likes this.
  20. Clavulanate

Yeah that's me