1. UMAT 2017 will be held on the 26th July! Good luck to all test takers!

Dismiss Notice

UMelb If details on my application change after submission

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by bpow123, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Should I withdraw or just push through?

1. Withdraw, do something more productive with your time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Push through and keep working on it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bpow123

bpow123 New Member

EDIT**** I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum - Sorry! I'm new to this website!
    If you have any advice, please respond to the correct post: http://medstudentsonline.com.au/for...my-application-change-after-submission.33959/

I've applied to Unimelb first preference and Deakin second preference for entry in 2018. I have good scores, GPA 6.6 and GAMSAT 80, so I was really optimistic of my chances this year.

Problem is on my application I said I was going to complete Honours this year. I'm currently enrolled in Honours but having a lot of difficulty with my research project and basically my supervisor is useless so I feel like my only option is to withdraw without fail rather than risk getting a really bad grade at the end of the year. I also feel my time could be put to better use, such as volunteering or work experience that will also look good for me in an interview setting.

I just don't want this to look bad on my application if they get notified of my withdrawal that I didn't follow through and have an incomplete degree on my transcript. It just really sucks that I was so optimistic about my application and now I'm faced with either withdrawing and risking ruining my chances or sticking with Honours and continuing to experience the worst anxiety I've ever felt in my life as well as risking getting a terrible grade because my superiors have been completely unsupportive all year.

Any advice?

EDIT**** I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum - Sorry! I'm new to this website!
    If you have any advice, please respond to the correct post: http://medstudentsonline.com.au/for...my-application-change-after-submission.33959/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    It's after semester1 census date can you withdraw without fail? If it's going to be recorded with some sort of fail you must push on, a 2A or 2B is way better than an F.

If no fail I suggest you check with Gemsas first that they will accept this notification, then withdraw. The unis will only go with what's on records for your pre-hons degree, they don't have time to investigate every individual case of withdrawal for judgment.

3. GV

GV Regular Member

If you withdraw with no fail it SHOULD have no effect on your GPA, but you may still need to pay. I withdrew from a crappy subject in my undergrad too, still had to pay for it however it wasn't reflected in my GPA at all. I'm 99% sure it should be the same for an honours year, however e-mail GEMSAS directly and they'll be able to give you a definitive answer. They respond quite quickly so get on it ASAP. Good luck with the applications!