Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU James Cook University Dentistry 2014

I was hoping for medicine this year at JCU applying as a non-standard applicant but unfortunately didn't even receive a second round interview despite studying (science) at JCU, receiving a GPA of 6.4 and being rural. Dentistry is now my goal but my application was solely aimed at medicine and becoming a doctor. I didn't use the words "Health Professional" or "dentistry" at all, nor did I have a recommendation from a dentist... do you think I still have a good shot at obtaining at place despite this?

Thanks in advance!

boxhunter

I was hoping for medicine this year at JCU applying as a non-standard applicant but unfortunately didn't even receive a second round interview despite studying (science) at JCU, receiving a GPA of 6.4 and being rural. Dentistry is now my goal but my application was solely aimed at medicine and becoming a doctor. I didn't use the words "Health Professional" or "dentistry" at all, nor did I have a recommendation from a dentist... do you think I still have a good shot at obtaining at place despite this?

Thanks in advance!

No one knows what they are looking for with the application. The GPA is just a hurdle to get over and you got a good one. However being rural could put you in the spotlight. All you can do is be patient and wait for the offers. Worst case scenario you don't get offered and you continue on to improve the GPA and improve your application. You can only better yourself with more experience, don't just focus on dentistry, focus on volunteering, community service and those sorts of things. Every person applies with experience at a dentist, you want to draw yourself out from the crowd.

Randy3000

Lurker
[MENTION=20683]Bulba[/MENTION] that's awesome!!! What course were you previously studying and what was ur GPA if you don't mind me asking? I am also a current JCU student, GPA 6.3. Didn't however get an offer though unfortunately.

ninbam1k

[MENTION=21361]ilikegrapes[/MENTION] hey grapes, not sure if dentistry does 2nd round offers but you still have a good shot considering your rurality. I applied for both JCU med and dent this year and got an offer for Dent. My written application however, was particularly tailored for medicine (I mentioned a lot of things about Doctors, in fact, I did not even mention Dentistry at all) so it was quite surprising for me when I received the offer. Hope that helps

cc101

I am also going to decline my offer at JCU for dentistry as I got assured pathway for dentistry at UWA my home state
Here is another spot for dentistry at JCU good luck :)

what are you studying now? do u mind telling me how much was your atar and umat score.

cc101

does any one know how much minimum atar was qualified for jcu dentistry last year? my atar is 98.55 - is there any possibility?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
does any one know how much minimum atar was qualified for jcu dentistry last year? my atar is 98.55 - is there any possibility?

There isn't a minimum ATAR because your written application will play an important role. Your ATAR is high so I wouldn't worry about that :)

cc101

thanks Hutcherson. I applied for JCU medicine and dentistry. But I did not even get the interview for medicine. Considering that there is one same application for both medicine and dentistry, is it possible that my application is not good enough for medicine only and they could consider for dentistry. Or my application is in garbage basket now? Do they have only one panel who shortlist from applications for medicine or dentistry or do they have separate panel for medicine and dentistry.

Reactions: MD