JCU Non-standard entry

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Bob Kat, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Bob Kat

Bob Kat Member

Does anyone know the minimum GPA required to be considered for an interview for JCU Med?

2. LMG

LMG Regular Member

Clinical Psychologist
  3. RuralDr

RuralDr New Member

I was hoping someone could tell me my chances of entry into JCU. I have completed Physio with a GPA of 6.1 and apart from the 5yrs at uni have lived in rural locations my whole life, including now working as a physio.

Is it worth applying in August or am i wasting my time?

4. LBoG

LBoG BMedSci/MD-JMP I UoN

According to @A1's table (linked above your post), a GPA of 6.1 is unlikely to be competitive for JCU.

With the right UMAT scores, your GPA is sufficient to be eligible to receive interview offers for WSU and JMP (UoN/UNE). Make sure you check out the table linked above your post for more specific info regarding necessary UMAT scores as a non-standard applicant for each uni.

5. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The 6.2 competitive was for non-rural, having lived plus now working in rural areas should gain you huge favours with JCU.

That said I suspect JCU may have changed direction this year, when several non-rurals were offered interviews with ATAR significantly lower than several rurals who weren't.

LBoG likes this.
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Intern (JCU MBBS) Administrator

I would consider a 6.1 GPA rural applicant within the competitive/potential range. Sure, a higher GPA would work better but realistically if your written application is good enough then you'll get an interview and beyond the interview stage GPA doesn't really matter.

Still waiting until I have free time to analyse the data but this just goes further to highlight the importance of the written application. A 99 ATAR rural student can still miss out on an interview if their written application is trash, similarly a 7.0GPA rural student could have the same thing.

In the same vein, I'll repeat that it appears ATAR really doesn't mean anything to JCU once you actually get to an interview stage. Higher ATAR = better chances but overall it's going to come down to your interview more than anything.

7. RuralDr

RuralDr New Member

Thanks guys i will apply and hope for the best. Is there anything that JCU specifically looks for in the written applications that i should address? Thanks

8. blue34

blue34 New Member

Hi. New here and has a non-standard entry with a degree potential applicant I just wanted to enquire how JCU would calculate GPAs. Seems like theres so many different ways each place does it (or maybe thats just with GAMSAT med schools each seemily doing it differently)

9. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The GEMSAS consortium uses a common conversion table to equalise its members' different grading systems. Outside of GEMSAS I know UAC offers a GPA Assessment service for applying to NSW unis. JCU would come under QTAC, which says "First you need to find out your Grade Point Average (GPA). This will involve contacting both the institution you attended and the one you want to get into"

Tertiary study - QTAC

It shouldn't matter too much though. You can't change how it's calculated so just apply with whatever you have and hope for the best.

10. Med14

Med14 New Member

Does anyone know of or have seen anyone get accepted into JCU with a GPA <5.75?

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Intern (JCU MBBS) Administrator

Rural & Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants yes, otherwise not that I'm aware of.

12. Roger Ricks

Roger Ricks New Member

Although I'm completing my first year of my bachelors at UQ (non-rural), I completed highschool and prior in a rural area. Supposing that I finish my first year with a GPA of ~6.5 and do volunteer work etc this year, what do you think my chances are of getting an interview?