1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

JCU Non-standard entry

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Bob Kat, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Bob Kat

Bob Kat Member

Does anyone know the minimum GPA required to be considered for an interview for JCU Med?

2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator! Moderator

UMATmbassador!
  3. RuralDr

RuralDr New Member

I was hoping someone could tell me my chances of entry into JCU. I have completed Physio with a GPA of 6.1 and apart from the 5yrs at uni have lived in rural locations my whole life, including now working as a physio.

Is it worth applying in August or am i wasting my time?

4. LBoG

LBoG BMedSci/MD-JMP I UoN

According to @A1's table (linked above your post), a GPA of 6.1 is unlikely to be competitive for JCU.

With the right UMAT scores, your GPA is sufficient to be eligible to receive interview offers for WSU and JMP (UoN/UNE). Make sure you check out the table linked above your post for more specific info regarding necessary UMAT scores as a non-standard applicant for each uni.

5. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The 6.2 competitive was for non-rural, having lived plus now working in rural areas should gain you huge favours with JCU.

That said I suspect JCU may have changed direction this year, when several non-rurals were offered interviews with ATAR significantly lower than several rurals who weren't.

LBoG likes this.
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Intern (JCU MBBS) Administrator

I would consider a 6.1 GPA rural applicant within the competitive/potential range. Sure, a higher GPA would work better but realistically if your written application is good enough then you'll get an interview and beyond the interview stage GPA doesn't really matter.

Still waiting until I have free time to analyse the data but this just goes further to highlight the importance of the written application. A 99 ATAR rural student can still miss out on an interview if their written application is trash, similarly a 7.0GPA rural student could have the same thing.

In the same vein, I'll repeat that it appears ATAR really doesn't mean anything to JCU once you actually get to an interview stage. Higher ATAR = better chances but overall it's going to come down to your interview more than anything.

7. RuralDr

RuralDr New Member

Thanks guys i will apply and hope for the best. Is there anything that JCU specifically looks for in the written applications that i should address? Thanks

8. blue34

blue34 New Member

Hi. New here and has a non-standard entry with a degree potential applicant I just wanted to enquire how JCU would calculate GPAs. Seems like theres so many different ways each place does it (or maybe thats just with GAMSAT med schools each seemily doing it differently)

9. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    The GEMSAS consortium uses a common conversion table to equalise its members' different grading systems. Outside of GEMSAS I know UAC offers a GPA Assessment service for applying to NSW unis. JCU would come under QTAC, which says "First you need to find out your Grade Point Average (GPA). This will involve contacting both the institution you attended and the one you want to get into"

Tertiary study - QTAC

It shouldn't matter too much though. You can't change how it's calculated so just apply with whatever you have and hope for the best.

10. Med14

Med14 New Member

Does anyone know of or have seen anyone get accepted into JCU with a GPA <5.75?

11. Benjamin

Rural & Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants yes, otherwise not that I'm aware of.

12. Roger Ricks

Roger Ricks Member

Although I'm completing my first year of my bachelors at UQ (non-rural), I completed highschool and prior in a rural area. Supposing that I finish my first year with a GPA of ~6.5 and do volunteer work etc this year, what do you think my chances are of getting an interview?

13. Benjamin

Your background would qualify you as a rural pathway applicant. A GPA of 6.5 would likely be sufficient to get you an interview even if you weren't rural. Volunteer work is only as valuable (for med applications) as the insight you take out of it and how well you can communicate that in your written application.

As with many people in this thread, whether you get an interview or not (with that GPA and rural background) would likely hinge entirely on your written application. GOOD LUCK!

14. Yam-I-Am

Yam-I-Am 010110010110000101101101

What's the minimum number of semesters of coursework that JCU looks at for applications? Is 1 semester enough?

15. LMG!

UMATmbassador!
    I emailed JCU Med admin a question last week (no reply as yet), asking whether all pre-reqs (chem, maths b, eng) need to be completed prior to application submission, or whether you can be enrolled in something and get a conditional offer based on successful completion. I would need to enrol in a maths b bridging course to be eligible for JCU and UTAS offer one online over the summer school period.

For info completeness, I also asked whether a doctoral level degree ticks the eng pre-req box. It does at UTAS, but not sure if that's universal.

No idea if this info is relevant to anyone else, but shall report back when I hear something, just in case.

16. LMG!

UMATmbassador!
    I received a reply via email from JCU admissions today (after my email was forwarded to them via the general enquiries team who initially received my query). No information was included in the reply regarding suitable English prerequisites or any required recency for 'senior high school' Chemistry and Maths B. Included in the reply was the offer to check my academic transcript to see where I currently sit, eligibility-wise.

You do not need to have completed the bridging subjects at time of application – however, applicants are advised to try and study subjects where the grades will be available by early December for guaranteed inclusion in the major Offer round.

Chemistry
    If applicants have not completed senior high school Chemistry, JCU will require completion of:
    · One bridging or tertiary level chemistry subject which contains a minimum of eighteen hours laboratory work and organic chemistry OR:
    · Two bridging or tertiary level chemistry subjects.
    Mathematics
    If applicants have not completed senior high school Mathematics B (or equivalent), JCU will require completion of:
    · A passing grade in a maths subject that contains a sound component of calculus OR;
    · A passing grade in a maths subject that covers statistics, algebra, trigonometry, vectors or geometry
    E.g. University of Adelaide offers a course called MathsTrack which satisfies the Mathematics pre-requisite and is able to be completed online.

Bridging subjects must be subjects which can be credited to a Bachelor level degree and must be formally assessed, with students receiving a formal grade.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  17. Roger Ricks

Roger Ricks Member

I spent 8 years in a RA3 area and 9 in a RA2 area. I'm now completing my first year of my degree in Brisbane. How rural would I be considered and how would this affect my required GPA for non-standard entry?

Also, I heard in another thread that the interviewers don't read your application and all they know is your name. Is this true? Do they know what courses you studied in your first year of tertiary study?

Thanks!

18. Olives

Olives Member

Hi Roger,

I'm not sure about the first part of your question, but for JCU interviews, that is correct. The first thing they said to me when I went into the interview was that they didn't know anything about me.

On the day you're randomly assigned an interview room (and 3 interviewers) when you turn up to register. Handing out applications and bios for each applicant, and having the panel read through them before the interview would be logistically very difficult. Beyond that though, it's really just about fairness. The interview is there to see what kind of person you are, and the details of your GPA and written application shouldn't really come into it.