Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Making a Dedicated Australian Preclinical/Clinical Medicine Anki Deck using AnkiHub - Callout for Volunteers

Stapedius

JCU MBBS VI
Valued Member
Hey everyone,

I don't think there's an existing thread on this so I'm going to post this here and I'll let the mods move it to the appropriate place if need be. You may not be aware, but very recently a project I have been following very closely now for the past two years has come to fruition called "AnkiHub". Basically, it's a form of collaborative Anki decks which allows users to create base decks and then various "subscribers" to the decks all receive constant synced updates. All subscribers can also suggest changes to the deck, suggest cards to add/remove and altogether comment/provide feedback on suggested changes. Think of it as a Wikipedia for Anki cards (anyone can suggest edits). A team of dedicated deck moderators will then sort through these recommended changes and decide what to update/add before these changes are published and synced to all the subscribers. You can read more about this on the Reddit post here and here. There is a US$5/month subscription fee to use AnkiHub, but given the enormous amount of coding and software involved, I honestly think this is a small price to pay for what it actually does. And before you yell at me, for full disclosure - I have absolutely no financial interest in the project nor have been told to advertise anything by anyone involved in AnkiHub - I am genuinely interested in this project and believe it has the potential to change medical education for the better. The rest of Anki is open source and indeed the creator of AnkiHub has been very vocal about his opposition to monetization in the interests of ultimately advancing medical knowledge globally. The creator has also stated that he and his team are looking at implementing a freemium model so people will not need to pay to access the base features, but it is still very early stages.

The main reason why this software is so exciting is because as far as I'm aware there's no dedicated "Australian-specific" Medicine Anki deck like there is in the US, and this is largely because we don't have standardized exams across medical schools. The closest thing to it was the huge "DOPE" deck, made by a UOND (I think?) med student a few years back, but even this deck was based heavily on US resources, and it also hasn't received updates since it was released. Also, the renowned AnKing deck which a lot of our US medical student counterparts use is based very heavily on US management/investigation guidelines with imperial units, making it somewhat problematic to use for us over here. Many of the "fields" in the AnKing Step1/2 Anki cards all have sources from US resources (such as Sketchy, OME, First Aid for the USMLE) that the vast majority of us would never use. That being said, it is a fantastic base resource, particularly the pathophysiology/microbiology cards, although much of it goes beyond the scope of what most of us over here are actually ever expected to learn. If you don't know what Anki is, I do apologise that you're probably sitting here very confused about what I'm going on about. I would strongly suggest you have a read around online into what it is, because there has been extensive research showing that spaced repetition (the fundamental principle of Anki) is one of the most effective and efficient ways of learning and retaining knowledge. Hence its popularity in particular for medical students.

So this is why I'm making this post - I am looking for a handful of dedicated volunteers across medical students in Australia to help me put together an Aussie version of the AnKing deck, with some modified fields for the AnKing cards to input the relevant Australian-specific data; ie. eTG Complete (for management), Talley O'Connor (for clinical features/physical exam stuff), RACGP Management (many good flowcharts for screening, etc. particularly in the Red Book), Up To Date (if eTG is too verbose), Textbook (ie. from Robbin's Pathology, Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine and other English/Australian resources us Australian medical students are told to read) to replace the existing AnKing US-specific card fields. The great thing about this project is that the cards can be continually updated as new management guidelines drop, based on a process of constant peer review as more medical students use and scrutinize the deck, as has been the case with the US AnKing deck. A mix of preclinical and clinical students would be ideal, as invariably the content will vary across these domains. I also have some plans down the track to try and get a team of clinicians interested in the project to act as moderators for the deck to also add an extra set of quality assurance that the content we're learning is actually right. I have still not yet decided whether I will use the AnKing deck with its 30,000 cards as a template for this new AU-based medical school deck and go through the process of mass editing to fit AU-guidelines or whether to simply start fresh creating new cards separated into a preclinical and clinical section, all tagged to the relevant course. In response to a comment I made on the Reddit post above discussing this proposal using the AnkiHub software, the creator also said he has intentions of eventually working on implementing a "forking" feature, where changes made to the US decks are also sent to other decks using the modified country-specific base cards, but he said this is probably "6 months" away.

This project will no doubt take some time, but my ultimate goal is to spend the rest of this year taking on board feedback and planning the approach, start putting the deck together during the first half of next year and ultimately have something of a V1.0 release by mid next year, with constant updates once we push along. This gives AnkiHub's software engineers time to iron out many of the bugs which are inevitably hiding in the software as it's in its very early developmental stages. Ultimately, I just wanted to make this post to gauge interest (if any) so I can start to get a team together this year!

I've just set up a Discord server to join where we can discuss logistics if you're interested in hearing more about the project: Join the AnKing Australia AnkiHub Project Discord Server!. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Wow this sounds like a total game changer. I'm a preclinical student in Auckland, NZ and currently am using a mix of AnKing Step 1 cards for the basic science stuff and a deck an upperclassman made specific to UoA med school. AnKing is an incredible resource but I agree, it is so incredibly deep and thorough and goes into depths that we wouldn't need to know. So far this is working well for me in terms of pre-clinical study.

My question is when hitting the clinical years - this proposed deck would be an absolute game changer. I had thought of maybe using the AnKing Step 2 deck for clinical years but I agree that it will be too US-centric. Would this proposed deck sort of have tags by rotations with cards relevant to each placement type of thing eg. general surgery, geriatrics, psychiatry etc? I would be interested in being a part of this project as it sounds absolutely incredible!

Wow this sounds like a total game changer. I'm a preclinical student in Auckland, NZ and currently am using a mix of AnKing Step 1 cards for the basic science stuff and a deck an upperclassman made specific to UoA med school. AnKing is an incredible resource but I agree, it is so incredibly deep and thorough and goes into depths that we wouldn't need to know. So far this is working well for me in terms of pre-clinical study.

My question is when hitting the clinical years - this proposed deck would be an absolute game changer. I had thought of maybe using the AnKing Step 2 deck for clinical years but I agree that it will be too US-centric. Would this proposed deck sort of have tags by rotations with cards relevant to each placement type of thing eg. general surgery, geriatrics, psychiatry etc? I would be interested in being a part of this project as it sounds absolutely incredible!

Hey - yeah absolutely! I am about halfway through my first clinical year and have attempted to try out the Step 2 deck and while it is better than nothing, I have to be careful to suspend all the management cards and take the investigation flowcharts with a grain of salt, because it is very US based. General stuff like "What type of murmur do you hear when you auscultate a patient with aortic stenosis" is not going to need to change much, hence why I'm thinking of porting these sorts of cards over. Same with pathology cards.

As for tagging - for sure; I think as the US Step 2 deck has; I can see particular tags being used for Internal Medicine (ie. Gastro, Cardio, Resp), and then special rotations like OB/GYN as part of the Clinical Deck. Even further down the track, I can see specific universities (ie. UoA, my university (JCU), UQ) creating their own tags for content that might be more "high yield" to their university, so their students can focus on those tags. And certainly even different states will have slight variations, but again this can come down to specific state tags possibly? Obviously this is stuff to work out - we could create different cards/tags for each state so guidelines are even dedicated to students in the state they're studying in (or wish to graduate in) and then students can suspend/unsuspend cards for the states they have no interest in working in/going to. I presume NZ guidelines may vary very subtly to AU guidelines in certain areas (ie. vaccination timelines) - in this case we can look at creating another field with "NZ" specific guidelines if there's any differences from eTG Complete (Australian guidelines).

Anyway, this is all just some early thoughts - the main point is the potential is there, and with a bit of planning and enough interest I honestly believe this could be an extraordinary change in medical education! I'll definitely message you to keep you on board with where we go with it. :)

Last edited:
I relied on Anki (and Perplex !!) in my pre-Clin years, but honestly gave it up in Clin as I found it too much work to set up (I definitely used it as procrastination in the past) and there was a switch in focus to OSCEs (i’m in my final year and we only have OSCEs for our formal final exams).

An established set would be so useful, though.

My decks were very basic because my IT skills are also very basic! But I’d be happy to help out and pay it forward from the help I got from the Anki users here at MSO.

Hey - yeah absolutely! I am about halfway through my first clinical year and have attempted to try out the Step 2 deck and while it is better than nothing, I have to be careful to suspend all the management cards and take the investigation flowcharts with a grain of salt, because it is very US based. General stuff like "What type of murmur do you hear when you auscultate a patient with aortic stenosis" is not going to need to change much, hence why I'm thinking of porting these sorts of cards over. Same with pathology cards.

As for tagging - for sure; I think as the US Step 2 deck has; I can see particular tags being used for Internal Medicine (ie. Gastro, Cardio, Resp), and then special rotations like OB/GYN as part of the Clinical Deck. Even further down the track, I can see specific universities (ie. UoA, my university (JCU), UQ) creating their own tags for content that might be more "high yield" to their university, so their students can focus on those tags. And certainly even different states will have slight variations, but again this can come down to specific state tags possibly? Obviously this is stuff to work out - we could create different cards/tags for each state so guidelines are even dedicated to students in the state they're studying in (or wish to graduate in) and then students can suspend/unsuspend cards for the states they have no interest in working in/going to. I presume NZ guidelines may vary very subtly to AU guidelines in certain areas (ie. vaccination timelines) - in this case we can look at creating another field with "NZ" specific guidelines if there's any differences from eTG Complete (Australian guidelines).

Anyway, this is all just some early thoughts - the main point is the potential is there, and with a bit of planning and enough interest I honestly believe this could be an extraordinary change in medical education! I'll definitely message you to keep you on board with where we go with it. :)
This honestly sounds so incredible and like it has just SO much potential! Very very interested to see how this plays and out and would love to be a part of it!

An update for those following this thread: the project is well underway! So far I've been closely collaborating with a few dedicated students from across Australia in the discord on putting together the tagging structure within the shared Google Drive accessible here. I've also taken on a lot of feedback and created the custom card type moulded loosely on the AnKing Overhaul styling with Australian specific resources in the fields. The main roadblock at the moment is the absence of a current AnkiHub feature that prevents the use of uploading or editing media (ie. images) to cards, however that feature is estimated to be released sometime this month.

Our plan is to finish the tagging structure (which is taking an enormous amount of time to cover all of clinical medicine as you can imagine) in the next few weeks and as soon as media compatibility is released on AnkiHub, we'll upload the deck to commense card creation. A slideshow outlining the appropriate way to create cards to ensure as much consistency (and best format for active recall) as possible is also being created. As always, feel free to join the discord or get in touch if you'd like to get involved. Cheers!

Last edited:

Exciting news! I'm cross-posting this here from the discord, but the TLDR is the early form of the deck is out on AnkiHub and we're looking for some collaborators to get on board with the project! The message:

"After chatting with the owner of AnkiHub, it appears image/media support is at least another month away. With that in mind, I’ve had an increasing number of people message me itching to help get start on card creation.

So I’ve decided to finally upload the current deck as it stands (in its very, very primitive form) to AnkiHub. The Malleus Clinical Medicine deck is finally available on AnkiHub at this link here: Sign In. More notes will be added to it slowly over the next few weeks and as soon as image support goes live, I anticipate collaboration to rapidly increase. It currently only has a very small number of example cards as I was really waiting for image support to get stuck into things, however what is there are some good examples of card styles to give people an idea of what sort of quality we’re seeking when creating cards. Please read this document to learn more about what AnkiHub is and how to use it: AnkiHub Documentation (notion. Site).

If you have an AnkiHub subscription ($5/month) and would like to get involved in card creation, it is imperative you read the introductory documents on the drive first – it is especially important that all cards are tagged according to the various structure we have outlined in the tagging document. This means that people collaborating can quickly click on a tag and see what cards are already created to try and mitigate duplicate card creation. It also helps set the deck up for success if it’s already sorted into subjects and so on. I have a small selection of trusted collaborators I will be adding as maintainers to approve cards over the next few weeks, and as the project hopefully grows I will be adding some more maintainers. To become a maintainer, I will be selecting contributors who help with the project by submitting high quality cards and get in contact with me to help out.

Currently the workaround for images is to get people to import this shared Google drive as their media folder: Media Malleus_CM (Updated 30-01-22) - Google Drive. If you submit a card with images embedded in it that is approved on AnkiHub, as annoying as it is, we will require you to then go to the “Malleus Clinical Medicine” deck in Anki and click “Export Media (Exclude Media Files in Google Drive” using the AnkiHub add-on. It is these files which are exported which we then ask you to upload to the Google drive folder linked above. To do this, please email [email protected] so I can give you editing access to the media folder. I can’t make it publicly editable otherwise there is a real risk of vandalism and I can’t be bothered constantly reverting changes. If you are interested in making cards on a particular topic, then I strongly recommend commenting something to that effect on the tagging structure so other people are aware of what’s being created. Ideally the constant synchronisation through AnkiHub should keep people up to date as well.

In the interests of making this project as accessible as possible to all medical students, I will be actively exporting the deck manually each week and uploading it to the linked Google drive here:
Malleus Clinical Medicine Deck (AU) - AnkiHub Project 2022 - Google Drive. I am currently looking at sourcing some external funding from AMSA and a few other places to help expand access, however I haven’t actively advertised the project yet given it’s in such early stages. Once image/media support comes around, I hope to start really plugging the deck and I hope you guys can help share the project with your peers at your medical schools.

I am excited to see where this project takes us."

EDIT: I've posted about the project to r/medicalschoolanki, available here: .

Last edited:
I stumbled upon your post and I'm really excited about this AnkiHub project you mentioned. As a medical student, I totally understand the struggle of having to rely on US-based resources and not having a deck tailored to our curriculum and guidelines. I agree with you that the subscription fee is a small price to pay for such a valuable tool.

I stumbled upon your post and I'm really excited about this AnkiHub project you mentioned. As a medical student, I totally understand the struggle of having to rely on US-based resources and not having a deck tailored to our curriculum and guidelines. I agree with you that the subscription fee is a small price to pay for such a valuable tool.
Thanks! Feel free to jump into the discord if you want to help out. I should note that the team behind AnkiHub have since introduced a scholarship program (see this link here) where if you declare you can't afford the subscription model you can get a free account or pay as much as you can afford each month. I think this is a step in the right direction as I firmly believe this whole project should remain completely free of financial incentives in the interests of medical education.

I have already had a few people message me about the Malleus project and monetising it for which I have repeatedly rejected - this project should remain completely open source, free to access and volunteer-run, and I aim to keep it that way.

For those following this project, media compatibility was recently released on AnkiHub which should help open this up to easier collaboration! There is also now a FaceBook page dedicated to the project here and attached is a smaller flyer to try and briefly explain the project. I'm hoping to try and get the Australia/New Zealand MedSocs to distribute out to their students. Feel free to print it out and pop it in a clinical school common room for any of your Anki-keen friends to check out! :)

Attachments

• Malleus_Clinical_Medicine_PDF_v8.pdf
    898.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Back