Med Place Offers 2017 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Offers Forum' started by Ricky89, Jan 6, 2017.

1. chocolateiscool

chocolateiscool Member

@sn1p Thank you so much for your help! I actually found the number and got a hold of Mr Boothey (thank God!!) and he told me that I was 1st on the waiting list!! Which isnt a guarantee but at least a shred of hope! So thank you for letting me know about this otherwise I would have been totally ignorant and yeah, UWS doesnt seem to want to give me more info so I guess I'll just have to wait ...
    Thanks once again!

LMG, Myst and LBoG like this.
  2. sn1p

sn1p WSU MBBS II

Wow what are the chances?! I really hope you get an offer some time later, not much else you could've asked for. Preferably a WSU offer instead of a UNSW offer... ;)

chocolateiscool likes this.
  3. marieantoinette

marieantoinette Member

Great to have this info, well done. As far as I can gather, Adelaide Uni does not divulge this detail, has anyone heard any different, or have any indication if you can ascertain where you may be on the waiting list. Would be great to know and does let you move on or wait in hope....

4. MD

MD Moderator Moderator

Yeah I have tried last year to find out more info from adelaide uni about my rank and likelihood but they didn't give me any info about that at all, unless there is a specific person I'm supposed to be speaking to? Don't know anyone who's found out their rank from adelaide either.
    Their offers do keep coming out as late as 4th week into the first semester (this happened in 2016)- the wait can be excruciatingly long!

5. marieantoinette

marieantoinette Member

It appears on some old forum links they may have indicated this in the past, > 3 years ago. Just would be nice to know. I notice you are at ADL, can I ask how long you waited after initial offers and do you know how much movement in numbers is there from Flinders to ADL, and re subsequent to adl initial offers is there another 10 or 20 or xxx offers made at adl or just a handful?

6. MD

MD Moderator Moderator

I accepted another med offer and was ready to go there but ended up getting an adelaide offer about 1 week into semester. From flinders to adelaide there's about 3 or so movements last year (quite a few late offers from adelaide). Not sure how many more offers are made in subsequent rounds but it does seem like quite a few as some people with earlier offers get upgraded from bonded to unbonded- when semester started there were quite a few more students getting offers quite late as well. So the number is probs more than 10, not sure how many exactly tho (would depend on the number of declines).
    Do you have a med offer at flinders?

7. marieantoinette

marieantoinette Member

Thanks, yes have a flinders offer which is great and turned down qld offer and interview offers for Monash and nsw. Have accepted flinders offer, but located 5 mins from adl uni so prefer less travel and also adl is straight med whereas flinders need to do the 2 yrs clin science and just keen to start degree. Am very grateful for offer, but adl would be preferable....so fingers crossed, but my the sounds, not a lot more offers to come.

8. MD

MD Moderator Moderator

Ok that's good! Just gotta keep waiting :) good luck!

9. Mana

Mana Intern (UNDS MBBS) Administrator

Junior Medical Officer
    Adelaide trialled a system a few years ago where you could see where you were on the ranking list electronically and as offers were declined your rank would go up and you could see how far offers have been made down the ranking list (first year for this was I think in 2009/2010?). They seem to have scrapped that idea though, might be too much IT, or too much transparency, or both.

10. Bhani

Bhani New Member

If I have already enrolled in a university, but received a better offer from another state. How can I unenroll & re-enrol in the other one. Please help.

11. B2

B2 MD -III

When you log into the student account of your respective university, there should be options to remove subjects that are under your enrolment. Once you have removed all the subjects from the enrolment, inform the university and you should be fine - as long as this is done before the census date of that respective university.

Congratulations on the better offer !

Bhani likes this.
  12. Bhani

Bhani New Member

Thank you

13. chatswood

chatswood Member

For future students, never give up hope! Last Thursday 3.40pm, just pulling up at UoN to settle in with all my gear when Sabrina rang offering a bonded place at UNSW due to a last minute withdrawal (who went to UWS).
    For future reference:
    ATAR: 99.85 (IB 44)
    UMAT: 174 (63/56/55)
    Interviews at JMP, UNSW
    Initial Offers: Flinders, JMP (unbonded)

My UMAT was pretty low c/w the other postings so must have done OK in the interviews!

14. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    Setting example for other unis UQ has formally published the UMAT cutoffs for their 2017 Provisional intake
    Applying for UQ's Doctor of Medicine - Future Students - The University of Queensland, Australia

Unbonded 186+ (~93%ile)
    Bonded 181+ (91%ile)
    Rural 156 (60%ile)

Big surprise to see cutoff for 2016 rural intake was just 145 (that's 40%ile !)

Also noted 2017 MD intake required GPA 5.0 hurdle and GAMSAT 72 bonded, 74 unbonded. Much lower than the rumoured 76-78.

EtA: I looked a little more into it, the UQ listed GAMSAT scores do not include 2 bonus points for rural. So non-rural you would need 73* bonded, 75* unbonded - that's like 98+%ile.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    LMG likes this.
  15. Banjamin

Banjamin New Member

Hi! Thank you very much for useful information!