Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] Moving Interstate to Study Medicine Discussion

medigator

Lurker
Whilst it might be financially constraining to study interstate, we have to bear in mind the following:
- To be eligible for youth allowance, the age of independence is now 22.
- You'll make up your losses once you start working. If you can squeeze in part time work whilst studying, even better! I know loads of people who did that.
- Our expenses are far less than our counterparts in USA (where the government doesn't fund a cent of their students' education fees).
- It's a great opportunity to get away from home, have a fresh new start to life, and get up to whatever your heart desires behind your parents' backs :wub:
At the end of the day, it's all about having determination and passion for medicine, and living your youth which you'll never get back again. Respect people where ever you go and you'll *generally* survive anywhere you go.

Igloo1994

I think for me moving out was one of the best things I ever did. Even better is if you can live on campus in a hall or something for the first year or two.
The cost of living is substantially less in Adelaide compared to most other capital cities and this can be budgeted for. I took a gap year, worked, saved like crazy, and now I have to survive until I am 22 on my own money before I get any centrelink. This isn't as bad as it seems because as I've taken a gap year I'm already 20, I can work over the summer holidays (and perhaps during term if I could be bothered) and the cost of living is OK. I think not having a car really helps me, I live on campus so I don't really need one and it saves me HEAPS on rego, insurance, fuel etc.

I think that many people trying to get into medicine are highly driven, A type personalities who see their goals (getting into their home state) as being the be all and end all and as a result look upon moving interstate with disdain. It's really not as bad as you think, you make friends/connections in your new home state, your friends back home will either keep in contact or they won't (and you won't care as you have other friends) and you get to study your degree of choice. I'm not saying it's easy for every one but once you're in, you adjust quickly

chinaski

I think that many people trying to get into medicine are highly driven, A type personalities who see their goals (getting into their home state) as being the be all and end all and as a result look upon moving interstate with disdain.

"Disdain" isn't the word I'd use. Personally I'm always a bit taken aback at the amount of reticence expressed by people at the idea of moving out of home. Obviously growing up is inevitable, and most people leave their parental home in their early adulthood, so it's always a little odd to see so many people be so worried about what is just a natural point of progression. Nonetheless, I think for many it's more of a cultural thing; being tethered to their family unit has been an expectation they've grown up with. For others, it's convenience: why move out when you can live in the lap of luxury at the expense of your parents?

bang

Hey guys!!
I'm aiming to get into med and have my hopes up hahah! im expecting to get an atar of ~98 ish HOPEFULLY.
however, even though im quite confident with my umat, we haven't got the results back which is why im just panicking and thinking about interstate options aswell!
So i just wanted to see if anyone else would share their experience of going interstate. eg challenges, benefits, friends at your home state and new friends and if it was a good decision overall.
I live in sydney and am hoping to get into UNSW med but i think its unlikely as last year's median atar was 99.6... SO YEAH.

THANKS GUYS.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads