Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

My new blog

Hey all!

I recently decided it would be a good idea to make myself a blog. Seeing as I didn't want to be pre-emptive I have called it Student on a Journey rather than Med Student on a Journey...
So what will I blog about? Mostly I will post thing about my journey from the HSC to uni (Hopefully into medicine) and any other related things i wish to post or find interesting. If I manage to get into med then I may make a new one or just continue with the same one, but then it will convert to a blog of the day to day life of a med student, which I know potential med students would find interesting (I love to read these blogs so I would love to be an author of one!)
I hope to update it at least once a week, more if I have things to post about.
If anyone wishes to, feel free to follow my blog! I assure you it won't be too boring!

Link: www.studentonajourney.blogspot.com

Hoping to keep it kind of anonymous (Hence this account).

Thanks!

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Thank you. If you want you can post your cross-post your blogspot blog to here as a way to increase your readership.

Thanks! I will be sure to do that. Interesting to note that within 5 minutes of putting up my first post (Before posting here) I had 1 view from Germany.. Obviously a lucky google search or something...

jsth

i love these journey blogs - so thanks :) im also aiming for med in the coming years :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Another post up now, running out of things to write at the moment!!!!!

Thanks! Haha don't write so fast you run out of things to write, its better to pace it out, wouldn't you say? Not that I have ever written a blog..

JJOH

Hahaha, I was planning on doing this as well! Thought it might be nice to look back at it in the future and laugh at whatever I managed to write. Wondering what to do now, since I don't want to set up a competing blog that'll probably go on about the stuff you do!

Ah well, best of luck =) Also, agree with muse, pace yourself!

~~
Edit: Quoting your recent post, "It still sickens me to think that medical schools accept people who are either doing it because their parents want them to, or for the money or the ever so illusive 'prestige'"

Couldn't agree more. Some applicants who are truly passionate about Medicine end up having to give way to those who couldn't give one sincere reason why they would like to do it... =\

Last edited:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Its too bad that happens, but not really anything they can do about it. Interviews are the best thing to weed out the unpassionate. Though not to say you should present yourself overly passionate in an interview..

A similar thing has also happened when I have met people and wanting to do medicine has popped up in conversation, and we discover we both want to do it. One person I recall asking where she had applied for Medicine, to which she said X Uni. I asked if she had applied anywhere else and got a response along the lines of "No, I wan't a decent med degree. Besides theres no way in hell I'm living away from X place just to do bloody medicine".
I wanted to say "Well you don't really want to do medicine do you then?" but I ended up just saying I applied everywhere possible, to which I got the response that I was "crazy", and having so many chances was "overkill". Having lost half of those chances already, I'm glad I didn't take her stance on applying for medicine....

(Can't remember where or what X was...)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
A similar thing has also happened when I have met people and wanting to do medicine has popped up in conversation, and we discover we both want to do it. One person I recall asking where she had applied for Medicine, to which she said X Uni. I asked if she had applied anywhere else and got a response along the lines of "No, I wan't a decent med degree. Besides theres no way in hell I'm living away from X place just to do bloody medicine".
I wanted to say "Well you don't really want to do medicine do you then?" but I ended up just saying I applied everywhere possible, to which I got the response that I was "crazy", and having so many chances was "overkill". Having lost half of those chances already, I'm glad I didn't take her stance on applying for medicine....

That's a very dangerous argument to make. We had the discussion not long ago, and I am sure we will have it many times in the future.
I do not believe that simply, someone not applying everywhere = not passionate enough to do medicine. People should consider themselves very lucky to have the opportunity to apply everywhere. Some people just do not have that opportunity.

For some people it is probably true that they may not be able to apply everywhere, despite wanting to. But I can assure you that in this case the only reason was a belief that all other degrees were inferior to this particular one, and slight arrogance at believing they would get in without even really trying...

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
For some people it is probably true that they may not be able to apply everywhere, despite wanting to. But I can assure you that in this case the only reason was a belief that all other degrees were inferior to this particular one, and slight arrogance at believing they would get in without even really trying...

Then, as we would both agree i'm sure, that person is a fool. Too bad there are a significant group of them out there.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

I think this will depend on the situation of the person. I myself applied everywhere to increase my chances, while others can't because they simply can't afford to move interstate etc. I can understand it for financial reasons. I know others who apply for one uni because they simply think they will 100% get into that uni of their choice.. which is a huge risk to take. I met a girl who had done that and only applied for UQ med, not knowing that the year she applied the UMAT cut off increased by 20 atleast which was crazy enough and hence wasting her OP 1 which is an ATAR above 99.00. So when applying, people need to weigh the pros and cons and adapt it to their situation in life. My theory is, it doesn't hurt to apply everywhere, you don't have to accept the offer in the end. Each person is different.

BigRedSky

That's a very dangerous argument to make. We had the discussion not long ago, and I am sure we will have it many times in the future.
I do not believe that simply, someone not applying everywhere = not passionate enough to do medicine. People should consider themselves very lucky to have the opportunity to apply everywhere. Some people just do not have that opportunity.

I think it can be true with a small modifier: "If someone does not apply everywhere that they have the means and situation to be able to, then they do not really want to do medicine".

For some people, means or situation will indeed limit them to one uni, for some it will limit them to one state and others are lucky enough to be able to apply everywhere.

Dandelion

I am aware that I am fortunate enough to have the ability to apply everywhere but I only applied to one uni this year even though my UMAT is okay and I think my GPA will be okay but I took a huge risk because to me family comes first (I'm the only one holding my family together<_<) and I don't think it'd work out financially- but that doesn't mean I don't take medicine seriously and nor will I stop trying to apply to this one uni. I already have a back-up plan for the following years if I don't get in 2012 :mellow:
But good luck to everyone who applied this year - soon enough we'll be reading people's success stories on MSO ^_^