Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

New UWS student in need of accomodation advice

Hi folks,

New 2015 MBBS student here, looking for any and all advice on finding somewhere to live in the vicinity of Western Sydney in the very near future!

I am mature-age, with a partner and pets, so ideally looking for a house, but will be on a budget so most likely looking further out of Sydney I realise. Google maps makes somewhere between Campbelltown and Wollongong look totally drivable, but I have no idea what the traffic is like in the area or where any hospitals/facilities we go to in the first year are.

If I can't find permanent accommodation in time (likely!) I will be needing to sort something temporary for just myself - is on campus accommodation potentially suitable for this purpose?

Any input or advice much appreciated!

Hi mate,

Hope its not too late. For temporary accommodation the university student village is probably the best option for first couple of years. It is not run by the university, its been handed over to CLV and the manager is quiet a rude person. But location wise its great for first year. You can walk to the med building or the Mcarthur shopping. You can catch the free uni shuttle to shopping, Campbelltown hospital and Campbelltown station. They run roughly every 20 mins during semester times.

In regards to living off campus, an ex housemate is moving to Wollongong. Its about 40 mins drive. I heard you would have to leave about an hour to get to uni on time. Leaving uni between 4-5/5.30pm should is not recommended due to traffic.

In first year you will often have Monday and Friday 8 am lectures. Not compulsory plus you can always listen to the recordings online. However, recording run for 50 mins so if a lecture runs up to the hour you won't be able to find the last 10 mins recording. But generally speaking, you won't miss much in the last 10 mins. Most lectures will be completed by 10 mins to the hour.

Lot of students live in Blair Athol and Park Central. You can get much better deal than the university village (because of high rents set by the private company). I heard there are some really nice houses in Park central for decent price. You may also check houses near Campbelltown Hospital, that area is better than other places within Campbelltown.

Hope it helped.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I lived in Park Central for 2 years as a student and can highly recommend it.

Thanks very much [MENTION=18546]waterstone[/MENTION] - no it's not too late! I have had to delay the move due to my partners work situation and other factors, and am now needing accommodation for the first two or three weeks of semester while I house hunt in probably the Campbelltown area. UWS village is extremely expensive for any duration less than 5 weeks, as it goes on a nightly basis like a hotel, but I am not sure how I might find any other temporary options in the area. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads