Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard entry into UWA Dentistry 2011

NathG92

Hi,

I'm currently doing a science (3-yr) course at UWA, but really want to get into Dentistry in 2011. I achieved the minimum TER, but my UMAT wasn't so flash...

I'm doing a prep course for the UMAT, so hopefully, that'll boost my performance.

I was wondering, how hard non-standard entry is? In what terms, is it difficult to gain admission via this way? I know that there are around 16 places for non-standard entry.

Any information would be appriciated, and thankyou ^_^

tim51

Hi,

I'm currently doing a science (3-yr) course at UWA, but really want to get into Dentistry in 2011. I achieved the minimum TER, but my UMAT wasn't so flash...

I'm doing a prep course for the UMAT, so hopefully, that'll boost my performance.

I was wondering, how hard non-standard entry is? In what terms, is it difficult to gain admission via this way? I know that there are around 16 places for non-standard entry.

Yes, traditionally non-standard entry is significantly more difficult than standard entry at uwa. There are usually around 300-400 applicants for the 16spots so the competition is quite fierce.

It's definately not undoable though. Usually to get an interview you will need to be around the 80th percentile mark. But that of course differs from year to year depending on the number of interviews and calibre of candidates.

Once you get an interview you will be ranked in accordance with a 2:2:1 ratio for GPA,Interview and UMAT (in that order).

To be competetive you probably want to aim for a gpa of at least 6+ (approx 70 percent average) and have a strong interview + UMAT.

Also, I believe this is the last year for non-standard uwa dentistry + med admissions.

Kapinny

gl hf

Hi,

Hey NathG92 :)

Hopefully this is not too late but what units are you doing in your science degree?

Just a heads up, if you're not already doing ANHB1101, you should. Also, do ANHB1102 in 2nd semester. Both these units will get you an exemption from FAHB (Foundations of Animal and Human Biology) in semester 1 when you manage to get into Dent next year. This will totally take the worry out of you from the ever infamous FAHB essay they give out at the beginning of the course.

Also, do CHEM1103 and CHEM1104 - this will give you an exemption from Basic Science for Dentistry in semester 1, provided you also did Physics in year 12. Again, massive load lifted because you get to dodge another essay they give at the beginning of the course. :)

Lastly, do SCIE1106 in 2nd semester. This will totally help you with MGC (Molecular, Genes and Cells) - you won't get exempted from it though - its a full year unit but material thought in 1st semester is about the same so it should come as a revision for you.

Dent is pretty intensive so doing these units in your 1st year science degree will help take the load off you when you get into Dent next year. :)

Hope this helps! :D

persepupu

Only a measly 16 places!?!??!?! That's disturbingly low... But word on the street, or rather text in electronic handbook, states that UWA only admits approximately 15 non-standard school leavers into medicine which is even more distressing. But if you allow me to indulge in the cliché- "if it can be dreamed, it can be done!" - and I am good pals with an individual who got into UWA as an undergrad non-standard interstate student so never give up hope!! :)

vetchick

Just to let you know I got in as a non standard this year with a 80th %ile UMAT and a 7.0 GPA. I have since met a couple of people in my year who got in with 5.8-6.0 GPA and 75th %ile UMAT.

good luck!!

Rickthetrick

Just to let you know I got in as a non standard this year with a 80th %ile UMAT and a 7.0 GPA. I have since met a couple of people in my year who got in with 5.8-6.0 GPA and 75th %ile UMAT.

good luck!!

I can confirm that as I was one of them. XD

Best of luck! (yy)

Oh dear!

This thread has made me panic!

I just got offered and interview for UWA dent with a GPA of 5.44 (with 2nd semester to complete) and a UMAT of 80.

I am a Perth resident, but I think they may have offered me an interview by mistake now :S

My poor GPA is due to unforeseen family dramas in first year, and I think they took this into account as without those first year first semester marks my academic record is excellent.

Oh well!!

I am definitly going to apply for Honours now as the chances of getting in are quite slim (near impossible) with my scores.

Lucky I don't give up easily! :)

I just got offered and interview for UWA dent with a GPA of 5.44 (with 2nd semester to complete) and a UMAT of 80.

I am a Perth resident, but I think they may have offered me an interview by mistake now :S

My poor GPA is due to unforeseen family dramas in first year, and I think they took this into account as without those first year first semester marks my academic record is excellent.

Oh well!!

I am definitly going to apply for Honours now as the chances of getting in are quite slim (near impossible) with my scores.

Hey, congrats on the interview offer! :) I just wanted to say that I don't think it's a mistake. I know UWA also give out first round interview offers to those who have not met the minimum GPA of 5.5 but are close and likely to reach that threshold by end of 2nd semester. Sorta saying that they'll give you the benefit of the doubt - of which I'm sure you'll take full advantage of. :) So with that said, all the best for the upcoming end of semester exams - own it! And all the best with your interview (word around the street says its next week?)!

:)

Advice?

Hello wise people of the meddent forum,

I was wondering if any of you had some advice for me as I am feeling quite at a loss as to what to do for future applications for Dent at UWA.

I applied for non-standard for this year and just got my feedback.

GPA: Lower percentile (5.61)
UMAT: Middle percentile (80)
Interview: Upper Percentile (86th percentile)

I have been working on improving my GPA since a disastrous first year in 2007 where I failed 2 units and got 2 credits. Since that point in time I have done very well with HD's, D's and the occasional high credit. Without that first semester in first year my GPA would be 6.22.

Unfortunately I do not know where to go from here. I am now studying a bachelor of science and technology which allows me to complete uncompleted majors from my first course in the hopes that this will improve my GPA so that I will one day be able to study dentistry. It just seems so annoying to have to get 2 degrees to finally cancel out one stupid semester.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice?

Kind Regards,

emmyloulou

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Have you considered applying for other dentistry universities? Because it will widen your options and increase your chances alot.

luke2

Oh well!!

Oh my! Last year, I also got an interview offer from UWA for Dentistry. Although, when I logged in, there was some error on the page. I contacted them by email, and received a reply saying it has been fixed. The administrator that sent that email (she was a young lady, that was way too vague about everything when I spoke to her later, and seemed to not know much about the applications) replied with an email ten minutes later saying that I had a GPA of under 5.5 (mine was 5.47) and such I must have erroneously been given an interview. She then "removed my interview offer" herself.

When I rang, I whined a fair bit, but she kept repeating that my GPA was under 5.5.

What if I had actually been offered an interview frmo someone higher up than her, despite my GPA being lower, because of extra circumstances (I have done extensive dental work experience). Grrr