Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

OP prediction

Hi, I'm planning on going to UQ next year, can someone please predict my OP based on my current achievements in all of my subjects?

English-- HA-6 (3rd out of 14) i'll be doing a Chinese external exam to replace English :)
Math C-- VHA-7 (1st out of 4) (9 rungs above the second highest achiever)
Chemistry--VHA-8 (1st out of 3) (23 rungs above the second highest achiever)
Physics--VHA-10 (1st out of 5) (14 rungs above the second highest achiever)
Math B--VHA-10 (1st out of 25) (3 rungs above the second highest achiever)

my school's QCS result is generally below the state average, but i've heard that the negative impact of QCS can be avoided by "spacing out" and considering the gap between me and second highest achiever in most of my subject, QCS shouldn't have a huge impact on my OP. Plus, as you can tell, I'm in a very small cohort, and my school is located in a rural area. I'm also applying for EAS scheme for English language difficulty, rural area, and Educational disruption.

These results are recently sent to panel, and a few got bumped up before that (Chemistry was on a VHA 5 originally, Physics was on a VHA 9) these results haven't been confirmed by the panel yet.

Last edited:
I'm eligible for the UQ bonus scheme, which I can get 4 bonus points (2 for passing the Chinese external exam, and 2 for passing math C). On UQ's website, it says that student can only get a maximum of 5 bonus points, so does this mean that I can only get 1 bonus point from the EAS scheme? and if I do end up getting 5 bonus points, does that mean that even if I get something like an OP 4, I'll still be able to get into OP1 courses at UQ?

A1

Rookie Doc
I'm eligible for the UQ bonus scheme, which I can get 4 bonus points (2 for passing the Chinese external exam, and 2 for passing math C). On UQ's website, it says that student can only get a maximum of 5 bonus points, so does this mean that I can only get 1 bonus point from the EAS scheme? and if I do end up getting 5 bonus points, does that mean that even if I get something like an OP 4, I'll still be able to get into OP1 courses at UQ?

On this page > Special entry schemes there was a clause that since UQ Med applicants were eligible for the Subject bonus (Bonus Rank), EAS bonus did not apply. It seems the clause has been removed so you may qualify for both but limited to 5 points maximum.

Since OP4 is in the 93-95.0 range I think you would need mid-OP4 for 94 plus 5 bonus points for Rank 99.

On this page > Special entry schemes there was a clause that since UQ Med applicants were eligible for the Subject bonus (Bonus Rank), EAS bonus did not apply. It seems the clause has been removed so you may qualify for both but limited to 5 points maximum.

Since OP4 is in the 93-95.0 range I think you would need mid-OP4 for 94 plus 5 bonus points for Rank 99.
So what OP could i possibly get? I think I'll probably get a VHA4 to VHA7 for my Chinese exam.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
i just got an OP prediction from my guidance officer saying this might be an OP1-3, is that true?

To be honest, your careers advisor has likely a better prediction than we do, as so much of your final mark rides on the rest of your school, as you stated in your first post.

I'm not sure that you'll get much more than that if what you are looking for is assurance.

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
English-- HA-6 (3rd out of 14) i'll be doing a Chinese external exam to replace English :)
I learn something every day. I didn't realise (cannot comprehend) that English is not mandatory for Y12 in Qld as it is in Vic and NSW!

I think there is merit in some sort of maths and science also being required. The problem solving skills these subjects teach is beneficial in many fields.

A1

Rookie Doc
I learn something every day. I didn't realise (cannot comprehend) that English is not mandatory for Y12 in Qld as it is in Vic and NSW!

English is not required in SA thus Adelaide & Flinders Med don't have English as a prereq, but it trips up many students who later find out they are not eligible for the majority of interstate med schools.

In WA it is mandatory (with a pass mark) to get the WACE certificate, but unlike in NSW/VIC it can be uncounted in the aggregate for ATAR (WA uses the top four marks out of 5-6 subjects so English can be the 5th/6th whereas NSW uses English + top four). It benefits science-ish students like me, I worked out with NSW formula my ATAR would have dropped from 99.8 to about 99.1 haha.

Since OP4 is in the 93-95.0 range I think you would need mid-OP4 for 94 plus 5 bonus points for Rank 99
So you're saying that I only have to get like an OP 4 to get into OP1 courses in UQ? that seems a lot easier than I thought

A1

Rookie Doc
So you're saying that I only have to get like an OP 4 to get into OP1 courses in UQ?

As I mentioned it appears you need mid-OP4 plus 5 bonus rank points to make OP1/Rank 99. I don't know whether QTAC would establish where you are within OP4 or treat all OP4s (93-95.0) the same.

Edit1: From this table > Year 12 conversion tables - QTAC - OP4 is converted to Rank 93 (despite being 93-95.0). That means OP4 + 5 does *not* come to OP1/Rank 99.

Edit2: I've deleted the part about the Bonus Rank points for LOTE/Maths C applying only to UQ Med. It now seems to apply to all UQ courses.

Last edited:

Whatdat

Lurker
Hey guys,

I graduated this year, and I'm wondering what sort of OP I can expect. My grades are

Maths C: VH4, SAI 355
Maths B: VH4, SAI 357
Physics: VH6, SAI 378
Chemistry: VH5, SAI 373
English: VH4/5 (Not sure), SAI 350
Business: VH7, SAI 370

I received an A on my QCS. Over the last 5 years my school has consistently been 1st or 2nd in the state for the best school average in QCS.

Thanks for the help

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I just moved the above post here if someone has anything they can offer the OP.

jelli

Hey guys,

I graduated this year, and I'm wondering what sort of OP I can expect. My grades are

I received an A on my QCS. Over the last 5 years my school has consistently been 1st or 2nd in the state for the best school average in QCS.

Thanks for the help
I can't help too much with the actual calculation, because your score will get scaled differently for each class, but OPs do come out on the 16th so it's probably best to wait and see at this point :) Also, depending on if you're travelling interstate, you might want to apply for your ATAR equivalent which QCAA will send you shortly after OPs are released. All the best!

Follow this link for the form:https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...DAu0QFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0pFt5OttnaaZFLetySwRBn

Pri D

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help
How do you know what SAIs you had?