Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago Halls of Residence

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff
Just read some of the news about the Toga Party/Parade, tbh I am shocked.
Is the egg throwing, pissing, and faeces thing true?? A bit intimidated about the event atm :(

Not anymore, this happened years ago back when the toga parade down George St was a thing, the toga party is fine.

If you don't mind, can you tell which college you went to?
Is this event compulsory?

So, it means the college heaters only work when the temperature is below certain degrees? Or are residents allowed to turn them on and off manually?

I went to St Margarets! No not at all. Theres a OUSA Toga party at the stadium but Margs had a Greek themed dinner that night and everyone dressed up and then those that were going to the OUSA toga party went as a group after dinner. About the heater......Margs was really well heated, didn't feel cold a single night in the college. Most ppl walked around in shorts and t-shirst most yr. Every room had heaters and could be turned on when required. Can I ask where you are staying?

hushh

Not anymore, this happened years ago back when the toga parade down George St was a thing, the toga party is fine.
Thank you! Its a relieve!

I went to St Margarets! No not at all. Theres a OUSA Toga party at the stadium but Margs had a Greek themed dinner that night and everyone dressed up and then those that were going to the OUSA toga party went as a group after dinner. About the heater......Margs was really well heated, didn't feel cold a single night in the college. Most ppl walked around in shorts and t-shirst most yr. Every room had heaters and could be turned on when required. Can I ask where you are staying?
That sounds great!
Of course you can!:) Aquinas college

rustyedges

Hey,
I am going to pack my stuff in a few days time, just wondering does anyone have any suggestions about the things that are useful/essential for college?
An alarm, some power multi-plugs, something to decorate your room.

Kevin L

Hey,
I am going to pack my stuff in a few days time, just wondering does anyone have any suggestions about the things that are useful/essential for college?

If you're flying down make sure to pre-pay for any overweight luggage online. It's cheaper than showing up to the check-in counter on the day and getting hit with a fee.

Are you staying in a residential college? I'm at UniCol this year!

frootloop

Doctor
Lol. I'm staying at UniCol this year and they specifically don't allow additional heaters.
Trust me, it's hard enough being an RA at that place without worrying about who has and hasn't got a fan heater tucked under their desk. So long as you don't make it obvious, nobody is going to come looking for it.

I suspect that rule is ostensibly more to do with safety (fires, etc) than their power bill, anyway

hushh

If you're flying down make sure to pre-pay for any overweight luggage online. It's cheaper than showing up to the check-in counter on the day and getting hit with a fee.

Are you staying in a residential college? I'm at UniCol this year!
Thank you for your advice!
Yes, staying in a residential college makes everything easier, I assume. ;)

jdz

Hi all!

Now I'm aware that college applications for Otago have opened a couple days ago, but as I'm keen to do HSFY I was wondering if anyone can give me some insights into the different colleges? I know that the uni website has quite a bit of info, but it's nice to hear of someone's personal experience!

Personally, it would be nice to be around others who are also doing HSFY, I'm not a big partygoer and I'm a bit particular about the size of rooms and have anxiety about bathrooms :)

Sorry if I've asked anything silly but I honestly have zero clue what I'm doing so it would be nice to have a little direction!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi all!

Now I'm aware that college applications for Otago have opened a couple days ago, but as I'm keen to do HSFY I was wondering if anyone can give me some insights into the different colleges? I know that the uni website has quite a bit of info, but it's nice to hear of someone's personal experience!

Personally, it would be nice to be around others who are also doing HSFY, I'm not a big partygoer and I'm a bit particular about the size of rooms and have anxiety about bathrooms :)

Sorry if I've asked anything silly but I honestly have zero clue what I'm doing so it would be nice to have a little direction!

Hi,

Welcome to MSO!

We have a dedicated thread for residential halls (this thread) so I have relocate your original post to here.

If you have specific questions about the halls in Dunedin, feel free to post here. For any other information, try the search function in the top right corner of the website/have a look through the HSFY section. It's likely that someone has already asked the same question. If not, feel free to post your question(s) in the appropriate thread.

Good luck!

Hi all!

Haha same (to the last bit of the second paragraph, I'm applying for Te Rangi Hiroa as well because it has ensuite bathrooms, so no sharing! :D)
I'm also nervous about eating in front of any other people than my family. I so wish we could eat in our rooms but apparently not because "dining together is important socially" or something like that.
Anyway, where are you thinking of applying? I think I'll also apply to Carrington and Hayward but the whole Grey lady thing about it scares me :/

Last edited:

jdz

Haha same (to the last bit of the second paragraph, I'm applying for Te Rangi Hiroa as well because it has ensuite bathrooms, so no sharing! :D)
I'm also nervous about eating in front of any other people than my family. I so wish we could eat in our rooms but apparently not because "dining together is important socially" or something like that.
Anyway, where are you thinking of applying? I think I'll also apply to Carrington and Hayward but the whole Grey lady thing about it scares me :/

oh my goodness ensuite bathrooms sound like a dream! I was thinking carrington because I hear they're quite a studious college, and a lot of people who do HSFY apply there apparently... but I still really have no clue! I'll have to do a bit more researching I think :)

rustyedges

It doesn't matter what hall you go to, you'll have a great time regardless, and get into med/dent/whatever regardless (if you're capable in the first place). Carrington and Arana tend to have the most students getting into med, but that's probably because they're the most competitive, so tend to have the students who did the best in highschool.

Read through this thread to get an idea, and if you have any specific questions (not things like "tell me about all the halls" haha ), feel free to post them. I'm sure someone here will have an answer :)

oh my goodness ensuite bathrooms sound like a dream! I was thinking carrington because I hear they're quite a studious college, and a lot of people who do HSFY apply there apparently... but I still really have no clue! I'll have to do a bit more researching I think :)
If you want Carrington, put them as your first choice because they're very adamant about that on the website and I don't think they will accept you if you put them anything other than first.
Definitely apply to Te Rangi Hiroa as well (if you want to, of course) because you never know and a friend of mine who's staying there this year says it's a pretty good hall.