Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago MBChB class of 2017

D

Deleted member 4350

Any advice from 4th years and above on recommended textbooks for 3rd year?

frootloop

Doctor
Personally I found the neuro book that everyone uses (Talbert and Young?) to be pretty useless. 'Neuroanatomy through clinical cases' by Blumenfeld, however, was amazeballs.
Other than that, same as second year books, really.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Any advice from 4th years and above on recommended textbooks for 3rd year?
Having bought and used Young, Young and Tolbert, I must admit I also found it a bit meh - I've only had one look at Blumenfeld, but it looked promising. For endocrine I would recommend Crook - it has stuff about test interpretation, and has been very helpful both for tutorial prep and for studying.

As with any textbook recommendation, people differ in their opinions, and you should always try the book at the library, then, if you find it useful and you use it regularly, see if it's available online (on Clinical Key for example). Only buy the book if you 1) find it useful, 2) use it regularly, and 3) find the online version (or lack thereof) unsatisfactory.

[offtopic]1000th post! Senior Member here I come![/offtopic]

Voldemort

Brodemort
I only bought 1 extra book for 3rd year.
Well it wasn't a book.
If you haven't already, buy Netter's Anatomy Flashcards.
It is awesomeness in flashcard form.
[OFFTOPIC]CONGRATULATIONS [MENTION=9988]Cathay[/MENTION]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/OFFTOPIC]

D

Deleted member 4350

So far I've bought Gray's Anatomy for Students, Robbin's Basic Path, Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy (+Flash cards), Netter's Flash cards. I think that should do it. Thanks for the advice [MENTION=10716]frootloop[/MENTION], [MENTION=9988]Cathay[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9501]Voldemort[/MENTION]. Also congrats Cath!

I'm finding it very difficult to make a choice between Wellington and Christchurch for next year.

My concern is -- if I chose Christchurch, would it be very difficult for me to work at Wellington in the future? I've been told that Wellington tends to choose students that studied at Wellington.

*stress*

Bluerock

I'm finding it very difficult to make a choice between Wellington and Christchurch for next year.

My concern is -- if I chose Christchurch, would it be very difficult for me to work at Wellington in the future? I've been told that Wellington tends to choose students that studied at Wellington.

*stress*

Hey, if you choose Christchurch you might be ending up in Wellington anyway.

Voldemort

Brodemort

*stress*
CALM DOWN!!! XD That is true from what I hear but it is not impossible to get a house surgeon job in Wellington after ALM in Christchurch. [MENTION=5161]greenglacier[/MENTION] will know more about this. But really your choice should be based on where your friends are.

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Wellington students are probably advantaged when it comes to applying for a first year job in Wellington, but it's definitely still achievable to get a job if you didn't do your clinical years there. Each year Wellington seems to hire a few people from outside of Wellington. At the same time, each year students based in Wellington miss out on getting a job in Wellington.

The RMO recruiters at Wellington say the main thing they look for is people who have good reasons for wanting a job there (after all, they only want to hire people who really want the job). For example, people with strong family reasons tend to be ranked higher. They also favour people who have done TI in Wellington, done a placement in Wellington, or who have visited/made contact in advance. Most DHBs are like this. Obviously your CV and references also count for something, but from what the recruiters claim, they aren't the most important factors.

So, I think the main things to consider are:

1 - Doing clinical years at Wellington could increase your chances of getting a job there (provided you impress the right people). However, Wellington jobs are competitive, and you may still miss out.
2 - You can still get a job if you don't do clinical years in Wellington, particularly if you do the right things to impress the recruiters and have good reasons for wanting Wellington.
3 - You don't stop moving around the country after graduation. As a registrar you may be expected to work in a number of different hospitals. Even if you start work in Wellington straight after graduation you could be moving town in a couple of years. Similarly, even if you don't start in Wellington you may end up working there in a couple of years anyway.
4 - There's a good chance that, after 3 years in Christchurch, you'll want to stay there to work. It's happened to plenty of people before!

I think that if you want Christchurch for clinical years, go for Christchurch.

frootloop

Doctor
Just officially re-enrolled in medical school, and died a little inside. But kind of looking forward to real medicine, it's got to be more exiting than ELM.

frootloop

Doctor
Sure am, paying $70/week for rent/food/power/lots of other goodness at home is more than enough to convince me to stay haha. You?

Voldemort

Brodemort
Why no rest stations!
Oh what the hell, are they doing that stupid no rest station thing again for OSPE? They cut them down significantly last year from like, 15 to 5 or something because rests were to "make up numbers, not for you to get extra time fixing/thinking about answers". After a loud whinge from us they gave us 2 extra minutes.
Are they cutting them completely now? Whinge to your education reps! Hopefully they can do something about it

Patiently waiting for full results to be put on eVision. Apparently resit emails have already been sent out but I don't wanna get my hopes up!!!!