1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

Otago or Auckland?

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by g.walker, Dec 27, 2009.

1. catchingup

catchingup Member

What exactly do you think this means?

Again, what exactly do you think this means?

You sound like you would succeed wherever you go, academically.

blossom likes this.
  2. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

To elaborate on what catching up is alluding to, uni world rankings have NOTHING to do with undergraduate teaching quality. It's all stuff like research output which doesn't have any real implications for someone in your position.

blossom likes this.
  3. catchingup

catchingup Member

Now you've gone and ruined it. I wanted to know what she thought it meant. There is a delightful impression that these league table are like energy ratings on a new fridge. Oh, this one has four and a half stars, it's better than that one with only four stars :)

blueflamingos likes this.
  4. blossom

blossom Guest

Does this mean there are around 200 places for undergrad only?

5. frootloop

Even less once you account for Māori and rural seats, which probably total ~60-70.

blossom likes this.
  6. blossom

blossom Guest

Oh I see why the ranking score is so high now.... trying to get into top 140 is insane.. :(

7. NMW55

NMW55 Member

Just want to add my two cents here. I'm currently in Auckland and have been accepted into 2016 admission (long story and not important). I was originally from Invercargill, and have studied in Wellington and Christchurch for 4 years between them.
    My advice would be to go where you have the biggest/closest support network.
    For me Auckland has been too hard. Its lonely, unforgiving and for someone who has always had a solid support system, just plain unfriendly. If you are used to the big city (and everything that comes with it) then this post doesn't apply to you.
    My dream hasn't changed, but living here has, so much so I am considering withdrawing my acceptance.
    PM me if you want anymore details

8. laserwise

laserwise New Member

Hello! Sorry in advance for using the thread for very personal circumstances that are probably not of much use to everyone else, but I've been debating this for a while and have exhausted all my other information supplies.

I'm a Year 13 student currently six NCEA subjects (yes maybe I am slightly crazy) and none of them are physics (I do have chem and bio though), have not taken physics since Level 1 and am now slightly regretting that decision, but to make up for it I'm going over the Level 2 course in my own time. In Level 2 I took on seven subjects and got all grades at excellence bar one. My strengths in the UMAT definitely lie in section three, and weakness is 119% in section two. Unfortunately, I missed out on the sign ups for UMAT this year but based on the practice I have done UMAT does not seem to sit in my favour.

In all honesty, I prefer the Auckland programme and entrance scheme. My research about their grading system, UMAT weighting, only having four core papers and interview process seems to have given me the impression that it may be slightly favourable towards me getting into med. My only problem is that I furiously need my independence, hence why Otago is a very tempting option. Something in the back of my mind tells me that finding my feet as an independent adult while trying to get into one of, if not the most competitive degrees is not a good idea. Perhaps getting my driver's licence would help my freedom in Auckland a little, but I have heard that the 'family' atmosphere is not as welcoming in Auckland (but this does not mean to say there isn't one, or maybe I've just been hearing from the wrong people) and that people are hating their studies because they're sticking with their high school mates and not branching out socially. Living in a hall in Otago really does seem like the type of lifestyle I want, and the uni experience is definitely something my heart wants despite this also not being a good idea, so my stubborn little heart is set on Otago. Head is in Auckland, it makes so much more sense and I'd save a lot on living costs.

This is my ultimate cry for help. So here comes the age old question. Auckland or Otago?

9. Kiwiology

Kiwiology UOA FY BHSc 2017

If you want my advice; in practical reality, if you are from the North Island, go to Auckland or South, go to Otago.

Auckland and Otago entrance from First Year / HSFY differences I do not think are so significant as to be the deciding factor.

Otago divides their cohort after MBChB III to Dunners, CHC and WLG whereas AKL I don't think is so strictly defined; you just have to do a year outside of AKL which can be Waikato, Tauranga, Whangarei (+/- Pukawakawa) or Rotorua.

10. frootloop

As per Kiwiology above, the first year entry pathways are similar enough that for the vast majority of applicants they're not going to make a difference. I reckon that, given the exact same pool of applicants, the two systems would probably only differ in the bottom 5% or so of applicants they'd pick. And it's very hard to know as a year 13 which system would favour you if you fell into that small number. You may feel like an interview would suit you, but remember that you're saying that without any actual knowledge of what Auckland wants to see in an interview candidate, and no objective way of measuring whether you actually possess those traits. It's like saying 'I feel like I'm a logical person and I understand people, so I'll smash UMAT' - I've seen a lot of very intelligent and very empathetic people get trashed by UMAT. Hell, despite academics being the easiest of the selection criteria to predict performance in, I've also seen plenty of straight-excellence NCEA students fall well short of the academic requirements for med (and people who didn't do so well at school dominate HSFY).

My point is that you have no way of accurately predicting which system would suit you better. From your position as a year 13 (and I mean no disrespect when I say that's usually a position of pretty much complete ignorance regarding med entry criteria), that's a very flawed way to pick which school to go to.

The much better question is where would you rather live for 6 years? Auckland, or Dunedin/Christchurch/Wellington? Slight differences in first year programmes may seem like a big deal now, but remember that if you do get in, you then have to spend the next half a decade in one of the locations your chosen school operates in. I'd have a big long think about whether you can financially afford to live in the South Island away from your family for that long, whether you're the kind of person who'd get really homesick, and which city would suit you best.

I know that answer has been trotted out a lot here, but that's because it's the best answer we can give you. Don't pick a school based on the first year of a very long course - you then have to spend the next 5 year at that school.

11. Blueglacier

Blueglacier :)

If you haven't already, apply to both of them! Don't limit yourself too early. You still have until January(?) next year to decide. I'm in the same boat as you. My mind is all "Otago is so prettyyyyyyyy" but my head says "Auckland is closer to home" and I think if I get into Auckland, I'll go there because I just want to visit my family (read cat) as often as I can, and I don't think that'll happen that much if I go to Otago because flights are rather expensive. You might enjoy the whole student and being independent experience, but HSFY and OLY1 are probably both a bit draining? It'll be nice to be close to home where you hopefully have good support, which is just my opinion.
    Besides, if you live in Auckland already, just go to one of the student hostels if you can afford them. And maybe you might appreciate staying at home for one more year because having your meals cooked and laundry done (hopefully?) would be nice when you have a lot of studying to do

12. colourred

colourred Otago MBChB II

I had the exact same problem - go with what your heart says! Cus then you'll always remember why you made that decision in order to succeed :)

13. Ruth

Ruth Maderator Moderator

Dentist (Otago 2016)
    Personally I think Otago has the advantage that you can do dentistry if you decide during the year that medicine isn't for you (which I did).